PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he remain in the North East? Does he enjoy lobstah?

I'm probably missing someone obvious, but who was the last great Patriot to retire as a Patriot? Faulk? And presumably Bruschi before him?

Light
Vollmer
Nink

Not sure if those are 'great' enough.

So there seems to be a lot of debate and doubts about Gronk. And I want to see why do people believe he's not the best, most dominant TE there is?

What do Ozzie, Shockey, Kelce (someone on Twitter said even Kelce was the better TE in the '17 season), or even Ertz?

So there seems to be a lot of debate and doubts about Gronk. And I want to see why do people believe he's not the best, most dominant TE there is?

What do Ozzie, Shockey, Kelce (someone on Twitter said even Kelce was the better TE in the '17 season), or even Ertz?

At their absolute peak, Gronk was the best tight end to ever play. Dominant in all phases. The debate of GOAT TE is basically that the other guys like Gates and Tony G’s longevity. If I’m taking any of those guys at their absolute peak, it’s Gronk quite easily.

For what it's worth, the NY ESPN radio guys are outright laughing at the idea that Gronk's not a HOF-er.

At their absolute peak, Gronk was the best tight end to ever play. Dominant in all phases. The debate of GOAT TE is basically that the other guys like Gates and Tony G’s longevity. If I’m taking any of those guys at their absolute peak, it’s Gronk quite easily.

I don't think this can be hotly debated.

Its the same question if you were to ask who the greatest left handed pitcher is in MLB history in the modern era.

Gronk was the offensive answer to LT on defense- the impossible matchup

I don't think this can be hotly debated.

Its the same question if you were to ask who the greatest left handed pitcher is in MLB history in the modern era.
Koufax and it ain't close. Gronk and it ain't close.
It's not like Gronk only played 5 years, he played almost 10. That's plenty. Gonzo,Gates etc none of em are close.
Once you get past 5 or 6 years, longevity is irrelevant in the " greatness" discussion.

It's not like Gronk only played 5 years, he played almost 10. That's plenty. Gonzo,Gates etc none of em are close.
Once you get past 5 or 6 years, longevity is irrelevant in the " greatness" discussion.

Just to follow up, the greatest rhp of the modern era is also a no-brainer.
Pedro and it ain't close.

Exactly which is why longevity is the one of the worst arguments to use when trying to quantify greatness.

I like the Kofax/Gronk comparison because they both played 12 and 9 years respectfully but "only" had GOAT seasons in 4 of them. However those 4 seasons where the greatest of all time at their position.

Last edited:
Top 3 Patriot of all time??

Bob Hope sang "Thanks for the Memories" Well thanks Gronk for those great memories of your playing the game with joy and skill. Good Luck. All the Best. When you believe you are feeling well again. Think hard about the long road ahead of you and how you will live. Live it to the fullest and enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results