PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
My off-the-wall guess is he is working/negotiating a couple of opportunities for Gronk and by playing the "he might come back" card that means the other party needs to kick in more cash/commit to Gronk so he has a financial reason to stay on the sidelines.
Good thinking.

My off-the-wall guess is he is working/negotiating a couple of opportunities for Gronk and by playing the "he might come back" card that means the other party needs to kick in more cash/commit to Gronk so he has a financial reason to stay on the sidelines.
I don't see him coming back this year and I agree with what you said. I think he will have a difficult adjustment but that is only my opinion.

I could see him returning to the league next year perhaps but with a different team who is willing to pay a decent pick and at least 10 mill guaranteed and they would have to have a shot at a Lombardi.

Good thinking.
Rosenhaus is just doing his job. Creating leverage when leverage is required and creating options and demand for his client.

I don't see him coming back this year and I agree with what you said. I think he will have a difficult adjustment but that is only my opinion.

I could see him returning to the league next year perhaps but with a different team who is willing to pay a decent pick and at least 10 mill guaranteed and they would have to have a shot at a Lombardi.
I don't see him coming back either. I love the idea but I truly believe he is done.

I don't see him coming back either. I love the idea but I truly believe he is done.

We know he played hurt a lot but some of these players suffer from withdrawal. I think when the dog days of summer start he will get that itch to play and make a return later in the year: even if its for one more year. Football is all he knows in a relative sense. I think he's gonna skip the rigors of OTA and TC but still keep himself in shape.

Rosenhaus is just doing his job. Creating leverage when leverage is required and creating options and demand for his client.
One way or another, he did it for a reason. Interesting to see how it develops. IF Gronk only wanted to play for the Pats and wanted more money or didn’t want to take a pay cut, retiring was his only leverage.

I had really added it all up even though I knew of all these retirements individually but in addition to Gronk:

Julius Peppers: 17 years, 9 pro bowls, 6 All pro teams, will go to Canton.
Ryan Kalil: 12 years, 5 pro bowls, 3 all pro teams, probably going to Canton.
Haloti Ngata: 13 years, 5 pro bowls, 5 all pro teams, will go to Canton
Max Unger: 10 years, 3 pro bowls, 1 all pro team, will get consideration to Canton
Kyle Williams: 13 years, 6 pro bowls, 2 all pro teams, will get some consideration to Canton.
Brian Orakpo: 10 years, 4 pro bowls, 0 all pro teams, won't get into Canton but good player.

Gronk and Peppers are first ballot. Kalil and Ngata get in after a grace period. Not a bad retirement class.

From Reiss' weekly Sunday column:
If Gronk isn't moved off the reserve/retired list by Week 13, he can't return at all. That rule is in place, in part, to eliminate the possibility that a player could sit out all season and then return just for the playoffs.

So there is a firm date for when a potential activation would need to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes