PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Effect on 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, this is not good.

For starters, we lose an all time great player. he wasnt the same player and wouldnt have been the same in 2019, but he still had a major effect on how defenses played us. Plus, all season, when we needed a big play, it seemed Gronk was always there making the play.

Secondly, the timing is awful.
In Free Agency, all the top players are gone. If we would have known 2-3 weeks ago he was retiring, maybe we would have offered Humphries and cook more money out of the gate. Having those two guys would have at least provided some talent to replace Gronk

So, we have two avenues to obtain talent.
We all know the difficulties we have had drafting Wide Receivers over the years. theres no need to go thru all the wasted draft picks we have had dating back twenty years. Even those players who have adapted well and been good players, none ever made much of an impact as a rookie. Even Gronk struggled.

So that means, the best way to fill the talent gap in terms of players who will be catching passes, is via Trade. Which means we have to give up valuable draft capital. Not ideal. Is there even anyone out there to trade for?

Who on earth is going to catch passes for us in 2019? This has the feel of 2006 to me. The defense better be amazing or we will have a long season.

Its not that I am blindsided by the gronk retirement, but i think the timing of it is awful and puts the patriots in a really tough situation as they prepare for 2019.
I'm hoping they throw some money at him

Obviously, this is not good.

For starters, we lose an all time great player. he wasnt the same player and wouldnt have been the same in 2019, but he still had a major effect on how defenses played us. Plus, all season, when we needed a big play, it seemed Gronk was always there making the play.

Secondly, the timing is awful.
In Free Agency, all the top players are gone. If we would have known 2-3 weeks ago he was retiring, maybe we would have offered Humphries and cook more money out of the gate. Having those two guys would have at least provided some talent to replace Gronk

So, we have two avenues to obtain talent.
We all know the difficulties we have had drafting Wide Receivers over the years. theres no need to go thru all the wasted draft picks we have had dating back twenty years. Even those players who have adapted well and been good players, none ever made much of an impact as a rookie. Even Gronk struggled.

So that means, the best way to fill the talent gap in terms of players who will be catching passes, is via Trade. Which means we have to give up valuable draft capital. Not ideal. Is there even anyone out there to trade for?

Who on earth is going to catch passes for us in 2019? This has the feel of 2006 to me. The defense better be amazing or we will have a long season.

Its not that I am blindsided by the gronk retirement, but i think the timing of it is awful and puts the patriots in a really tough situation as they prepare for 2019.
The pats are entertainment to me. And Gronk is extremely entertaining. So I am in a funk. I hope they throw money at him.

The pats are entertainment to me. And Gronk is extremely entertaining. So I am in a funk. I hope they throw money at him.

@mosslost, don’t be afraid to seek professional help, my friend.

We all have our own idea of entertainment, but it’s disturbing that you’re desperate enough to yearn for agents of the Patriots organization to throw various increments of currency at Rob Gronkowski. What would be the point of that, and at what juncture of this strange bill and coin throwing spectacle would consider yourself sufficiently entertained and out of your funk?

Yup, last year as this time, Waddle was our LT with no backup. Brown wasn't traded for until the end of April; also Wynn was drafted at the end of April. That's a FULL month later than today.

Man, it could be so much worse.

I'm fcking old and can't figure out how to post a GIF. So I'm going to quote it instead.

GAME OVER MAN!

I would a pull a 2010 and take 2 TEs, Fant/Smith imo. Get Fant in the first and Smith later on 2nd/3rd round.
Well, damn. That would be ideal, but there’s a chance that Smith won’t even be there at 32, let alone in the second or third round. Fant will likely be long gone by the time we pick, too.

I'm fcking old and can't figure out how to post a GIF. So I'm going to quote it instead.

GAME OVER MAN!

For some reason, I just think that this particular post is the GOAT. It really can’t get better than this.

Yup, last year as this time, Waddle was our LT with no backup. Brown wasn't traded for until the end of April; also Wynn was drafted at the end of April. That's a FULL month later than today.

To true! And here we are again. With all our picks, I’m confident BB will find a way to balance this roster.

“It’s going to be a long season”
Is not a positive outlook.
You can repeat all the other words in your post as many times as you want to distract from the point, but those are the words I was referring to which would seem obvious, because, you know, those are the words I commented on.

Just to be sure, you referred to 2006 as an example of success and a positive outlook?

2006. 12-4. Lost on road in AFC Championship Game. Up 21-3, but couldnt hold on, because didnt have the horses. Yes. I would consider that a pretty good season.

lost because we didnt have the receivers to keep up with the colts. thats why i compare this season to that, and why i said the defense better be good.

2006. 12-4. Lost on road in AFC Championship Game. Up 21-3, but couldnt hold on, because didnt have the horses. Yes. I would consider that a pretty good season.

lost because we didnt have the receivers to keep up with the colts. thats why i compare this season to that, and why i said the defense better be good.
Drawing a parallel of receiver being an issue is one thing. (Although we had the horses to win that game, but shlt happened)
Saying it’s going to be a long season 7 weeks after we won our 3rd Sb in the last 5 and went to 4 is something else.

Gronk effect = 200 catch season for James White

I have not read this thread. The season will be interesting. I am excited to see how the Patriots handle the personnel this year.

After winning the superbowl, I am pretty faulking happy. Never thought they were going to do it. Everything is gravy at this point.

Drawing a parallel of receiver being an issue is one thing. (Although we had the horses to win that game, but shlt happened)
Saying it’s going to be a long season 7 weeks after we won our 3rd Sb in the last 5 and went to 4 is something else.

i think as patriots fans we have been jaded into what exactly a long season means. For us, a long season could be a 12-4 season with lots of close games lol

i think as patriots fans we have been jaded into what exactly a long season means. For us, a long season could be a 12-4 season with lots of close games lol
Ok but that’s part of my point.
With the success this team has had his can we be gloomy in March?
I’ve just never had this pessimistic doom and gloom Bostonian attitude so it’s hard for me to understand his someone can be negative 7 weeks after winning yet another SB this time with possibly the most flawed version of the team in years.
They have ficwn no reason to be negative about their chances to overcome anything.
If we were the browns I could understand woe is me, here we go again. Here I just don’t get it.

I would have also if I hadn't put my entire gambling winnings for the season on that game.

Well you know what Gronk's retirement means to me! It means I can get my full on UNDERDOG back!!!!!!!

That's right, it's BACK!!!! You can see the narrative start already. "The Pats are done" "It's our time now" "Too many losses and they are getting old" "Look at what the Jets and Bills have done in FA"

Hell, if I were a fan of some other team in the league, that's what I'd be saying, right. So I will morph into my best Rodney Harrison face, and get ready. You think LAST season was a "we're still here" year. Wait until we get to THIS season. Shank and Volin are champing at the bit already. They are busy at their keyboards writing an off season's worth of lazy narratives that portend the "end". A narrative that will only grow stronger when Bill drafts 12 guys that NO one predicted and adds FA's that no one will think will help.

It will be......WONDERFUL! ;)

2014: "Do your job"
2016: "One more"
2018: "Still here"
2019: "um, hello? Is this thing on?"

In all likelihood, Occam's Razor; he'll sign the massive extension and that will be that. Yet there has been an undercurrent of persistent rumors down hear that the Falcons are trying to escape salary cap hell by getting his massive contract off the books. With Ridley and Sanu, they may feel they have the wideouts and can use his cap space to fill out the rest of the roster. Like I said, it's unlikely but you never know.

Falcons have three good receivers? Maybe Pats can trade for one. As long as they aren't still grumpy about the whole 28-3 thing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes