PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Effect on 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t he about to sign a big extension? I thought I saw that last week.
Edit: here it is: Report: Julio Jones, Falcons 'closing in' on new contract

In all likelihood, Occam's Razor; he'll sign the massive extension and that will be that. Yet there has been an undercurrent of persistent rumors down hear that the Falcons are trying to escape salary cap hell by getting his massive contract off the books. With Ridley and Sanu, they may feel they have the wideouts and can use his cap space to fill out the rest of the roster. Like I said, it's unlikely but you never know.

Words can't describe how astounding it is to see some fans' negativity when it comes to this team. They've won Lombardis without Gronk and they can do it again.
Dude, don't jinx us. :eek:

Last edited:
youre right, the timing of the retirement was ideal. how dare i mention this.
Mentioning and discussing the retirement it’s timing and it’s impact is very different from “it’s going to be a long season”. Not sure how you dont understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Healthy Gronk was more than the best TE ever. I liken him to Bobby Orr. When people argue with me about this defenseman or that one, trying to compare to Orr, I laugh at them. They simply don't get it: there has been no player who could just take over a game at that position in quite the same way. Full stop.

So, I loved watching Gronk play and hated (as with Orr) seeing his physical decline due to injury.

But yeah, he really left the Patriots high and dry with his timing here.

Was Rob Gronkowski’s Retirement Sparked By Call From Bill Belichick?

"When Belichick called Rosenhaus, it’s entirely possible the Patriots still could have signed tight end Jared Cook, who’s joining the New Orleans Saints.

Perhaps that’s why some members of the Patriots are “chagrined,” according to King, by Gronkowski’s timing."

Had they known, maybe they keep Allen, or go harder after James, or harder after, say, Humphries or a WR to shift their offense. Or maybe, knowing...err, not knowing, BB, they would have done none of that anyway.
It is what it is, and they'll win the AFCE again and be right there in February.

With the number of good tight ends available in this year's draft, I think BB can wait until the second round to pick one (maybe Jace Sternberger or Jaden Smith). Also would love to have BB pick a late round sleeper with a high potential upside (maybe Trevon Wesco, Kahale Warring or Zach Gentry).

Mentioning and discussing the retirement it’s timing and it’s impact is very different from “it’s going to be a long season”. Not sure hie you dint understand that.
so when i say it has the feel of 2006, WHEN WE WENT TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and lost on a great comeback, youre saying im complaining? get out of here with your nonsense.

i think its possible to have a positive outlook while also pointing out some things that arent exactly ideal.

so when i say it has the feel of 2006, WHEN WE WENT TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and lost on a great comeback, youre saying im complaining? get out of here with your nonsense.

i think its possible to have a positive outlook while also pointing out some things that arent exactly ideal.
“It’s going to be a long season”
Is not a positive outlook.
You can repeat all the other words in your post as many times as you want to distract from the point, but those are the words I was referring to which would seem obvious, because, you know, those are the words I commented on.

Just to be sure, you referred to 2006 as an example of success and a positive outlook?

“It’s going to be a long season”
Is not a positive outlook.
You can repeat all the other words in your post as many times as you want to distract from the point, but those are the words I was referring to which would seem obvious, because, you know, those are the words I commented on.

Just to be sure, you referred to 2006 as an example of success and a positive outlook?

I actually think it's going to be a really interesting season. They've got months to figure out how they want the offense to operate - it'll be wild to see the plans Josh draws up. Gronk's biggest contributions last year were blocking and making that critical catch in critical moments. Can't downplay that - this was a big loss.

Was a big loss in 2016, too, when he played half a season. Keep the faith!

I actually think it's going to be a really interesting season. They've got months to figure out how they want the offense to operate - it'll be wild to see the plans Josh draws up. Gronk's biggest contributions last year were blocking and making that critical catch in critical moments. Can't downplay that - this was a big loss.

I think what any intelligent observer would recognize is that the Brady/Belichick patriots can very likely overcome just aboit anything. The next iteration doesn’t need to look like the last.
There have been so many examples of things that happened (injuries, defections, bad losses) that brought out the gloom and doomers and we are yet to see the thing that blows it up despite 100 predictions that this was it.
I mean it’s March and there surely a number of areas of concern but I’m just not interested in being the kind of fan who is bustling to be the first one to predict the demise.
I’d rather enjoy the reign as champions and assume they know what they are doing and by the time we play a game the parts will look different but the sum of them will have us competing for another championship.

effect?
with Gronk
2019 SB champion Patriots
without Gronk
2019 SB champion Patriots

Yep

And while that’s a roster problem it’s also a Brady problem, and I have complete confidence in his ability to make it work when all is said and done. Losing Gronk, while much more impactful, is like losing Amendola or Edelman the past couple of seasons. It’s not so much about overall production as it is about who he goes to when games and seasons are on the line. Brady is down to Edelman and White in big moments, and fixing that should be the goal of the rest of their offseason.

Yep

And while that’s a roster problem it’s also a Brady problem, and I have complete confidence in his ability to make it work when all is said and done. Losing Gronk, while much more impactful, is like losing Amendola or Edelman the past couple of seasons. It’s not so much about overall production as it is about who he goes to when games and seasons are on the line. Brady is down to Edelman and White in big moments, and fixing that should be the goal of the rest of their offseason.
I think Michel is going to be a big playmaker as well. No choice.

Man, it could be so much worse.

It’s March and pre-draft time right now. It’s not like there was some Gronk clone in free agency looking for $12M from the Patriots. Potentially missed out on a few semi-nauseating options (for the price tag) in Tate, Humphries and Cook. Awful free agent market for receivers and TEs this year.

Yep

I also think that's why the Pats are supposedly still in talks with Allan Bailey. If they get him, they can focus more on O in the draft.

Man, it could be so much worse.

It’s March and pre-draft time right now. It’s not like there was some Gronk clone in free agency looking for $12M from the Patriots. Potentially missed out on a few semi-nauseating options (for the price tag) in Tate, Humphries and Cook. Awful free agent market for receivers and TEs this year.
Right??!

Imagine he goes thru two weeks of camp before he says "nah, this sucks."

I also think that's why the Pats are supposedly still in talks with Allan Bailey. If they get him, they can focus more on O in the draft.

That’s how I see it as well. They can address any remaining needs on defense with veterans, and they will go offense in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back