PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Effect on 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me those are the only 2 options. They can't solve this by the draft alone. I don't believe there is a player or players they can draft who'll have enough instant impact to help this offense enough even if they hit on them and i don't think they can solve it in free agency either as there really isn't potential for that #1 option.

With the 42nd pick of the 2010 draft, they took Gronkowski. With the 113th pick, they took Hernandez. The TE draft class is deep this year. I am not saying they will take Hockenson and Fant in rounds 1-2, but it's possible. There's some guys with some talent in rounds 3-5.

to get Hock, it would likely take a 1st and 2nd a 3rd
to THEN get Fant, it would likely take our remaining 2nd and 2 3rds

Hock is likely to be drafted in the first half of the round, and Fant in the early 20's.

There may talent later, but there are a couple head and shoulder above the rest, with a possible additional choice at 32 or in the 2nd.

With the 42nd pick of the 2010 draft, they took Gronkowski. With the 113th pick, they took Hernandez. The TE draft class is deep this year. I am not saying they will take Hockenson and Fant in rounds 1-2, but it's possible. There's some guys with some talent in rounds 3-5.

In that same draft was also Jimmy Graham. Even if we trade, we will never see another Gronk. People need to get over this. The pats coaching staff will change our scheme to address this. Our running game is hot now so we’ll focus there.

You underestimate how important our 2019 tight ends were to the running game.
I'm NOT worrying about the passing game. We already have a good start in Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett and maybe even LeCosse (and even possibly Harris, Berrios and Ellington). Sue, we need to add a couple of pieces (that is the situation every year).

In 2019, we had Gronk, Allen, and Brown as key contributors to the running game.

In that same draft was also Jimmy Graham. Even if we trade, we will never see another Gronk. People need to get over this. The pats coaching staff will change our scheme to address this. Our running game is hot now so we’ll focus there.

Fact and fact.

The impact of no Gronk vs expected Gronk production in 2019 isn't as big as people think. The patriots have now room for a trade regarding WR/TE. Maybe both. This capspace was not available before.

I don't think 2019 Gronk would have given us much more than a very good blocker. It might have been worth 10-11 million caphit, maybe not but we can use that money now to strengthen the receiving corps.

Unless you’re talking about post draft cuts, the free agent market has dried up.

Eh, maybe. BB is probably looking for someone with the resume of Brandon Lafell or Chris Hogan. Probably a guy none of us have heard of.

So what does Bill focus on in the draft? TE or WR? Both are major holes right now.

The word 'never' is extremely hyperbole. Might be not on the Patriots on our lifetime but sports will always produce better players as time goes on. There will be a TE better than Gronk, there will be a QB better than Brady etc.

But I agree with the point that it's extremely unlikely that this draft will produce a HOF TE.

So what does Bill focus on in the draft? TE or WR? Both are major holes right now.
Both my guess in trade and draft. I hope we see at least 1 trade before the draft.

Well you know what Gronk's retirement means to me! It means I can get my full on UNDERDOG back!!!!!!!

That's right, it's BACK!!!! You can see the narrative start already. "The Pats are done" "It's our time now" "Too many losses and they are getting old" "Look at what the Jets and Bills have done in FA"

Hell, if I were a fan of some other team in the league, that's what I'd be saying, right. So I will morph into my best Rodney Harrison face, and get ready. You think LAST season was a "we're still here" year. Wait until we get to THIS season. Shank and Volin are champing at the bit already. They are busy at their keyboards writing an off season's worth of lazy narratives that portend the "end". A narrative that will only grow stronger when Bill drafts 12 guys that NO one predicted and adds FA's that no one will think will help.

It will be......WONDERFUL! ;)

You underestimate how important our 2019 tight ends were to the running game.
I'm NOT worrying about the passing game. We already have a good start in Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett and maybe even LeCosse (and even possibly Harris, Berrios and Ellington). Sue, we need to add a couple of pieces (that is the situation every year).

In 2019, we had Gronk, Allen, and Brown as key contributors to the running game.

What I’m saying is that we’ll have to choose between tightends who are better at one area over the other. We won’t see too many tightends who can both block and catch at the level Gronk did.

The word 'never' is extremely hyperbole. Might be not on the Patriots on our lifetime but sports will always produce better players as time goes on. There will be a TE better than Gronk, there will be a QB better than Brady etc.

But I agree with the point that it's extremely unlikely that this draft will produce a HOF TE.
But that's the thing. For 20 years Bill has built successful teams filled with GOOD players, not great ones. Well there obviously have a few "great ones" as well, but when you think about it, they are usually NOT the major reason why the Pats consistently win. The Patriot way actually exists. It is not just a cliche, or a simple 2 word explanation for a very complex organizational system.

Football is a numbers game. That was an observation by a wise mentor of mine before I went to my first summer camp as a HC. The Pats believe in that. And that's why they have so much cap space spent on the so called "middle class". Guys most of us think of as JAG's. But guys who inevitably end up playing key roles in winning seasons. Outside of Brady and Gronk, our probowlers often come from ST's or positions like FB. Not DE or WR, or even the OL. Bill understand that those "just another guys" are very good football players, and since football is STILL more about the team and less about the individual, those players can and DO play major roles in winning football games.

Its the media and marketing types that have created the "cult of the individual" in football. It's so easy to talk about how the addition of this guy or that guy will put a team "over the top". No one player puts a team over the top, not even the QB. It is still a game where the sum will ALWAYS be greater than the individual parts.

BTW- They all understand that maxim. It's just that Bill has been more committed to put it into action than most. ......and the rambling stops. ;)

What I’m saying is that we’ll have to choose between tightends who are better at one area over the other. We won’t see too many tightends who can both block and catch at the level Gronk did.

You don't see too many TEs that block OR catch at the level Gronk did. Especially catch.

I mean I’m not worried cause this isn’t the final product but damn this got to be the worst set of skill position players the roster has ever seen in the Brady BB era. Besides JE and JW there’s nothing but unproven jags.

My case of the sads has not yet gone away.

I wish we didn’t also lose our (second?) best player on D this offseason too.

Quite the insight from me.

We won the SB 7 weeks ago and the first “it’s going to be a long season” post arrives.

Words can't describe how astounding it is to see some fans' negativity when it comes to this team. They've won Lombardis without Gronk and they can do it again.

Last edited:
I would a pull a 2010 and take 2 TEs, Fant/Smith imo. Get Fant in the first and Smith later on 2nd/3rd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back