PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk defending that play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the snap I felt Josh Gordon on defense would have made more sense than Gronk. Gordon is more athletic, healthier, and has better ability to leap up and knock a pass down.

That was all based on the idea of a hail mary, and a Miami WR somehow being able to not only catch the ball but also not be tackled (ie then lateral, or elude defenders and run the ball into the end zone).

At that time I didn't realize McCourty was sidelined for the play. Given the distance and Tannehill's ankle situation, it obviously makes much more sense for McCourty to be on the field than either offensive player.

What world are you in? There was no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to be able to throw the ball 69 yards to the endzone. If they were "anticipating a hail mary pass" they didn't "guess wrong". They were being criminally incompetent.

Like I said, they guessed wrong.

Tannehill was gimpy, but it was the last play of the game. Especially because MIA desperately needed it, it is not crazy to believe that a QB, shot up on morphine, would try to throw a 70 yard pass into the endzone.

Stop acting like there was zero chance of that happening. It was definitely a possibility, and Belichick took his chances. I am usually the first one to call out Belichick, but I had no issue with that play. Nobody anticipated getting beat by lateral passes, not even you, so stop pretending.

Take a valium. You're being even more stupidly idiotic than usual. Going up 5 with 16 seconds left, knowing you can burn off enough time on the kickoff to force Miami to score a 1-play touchdown is perfectly fine playcalling. Virtually every team in the league would have done the same thing.

And the Pats wouldn't be .500 without Michel, White, and McDaniels.
^ Now this mess was funny, haha.

Take a valium! You're stupidly idiotic than usual! Haha, that's too friggin cute! Are you on steroids or menstruating? By the way, your insults are about as lame and bland as your tired argument, but you tried it.

Anyway,

Running up the score by 7 points and forcing MIA to score twice in under a minute is clearly superior play-calling, but keep talking idiotically, stupidly stupid and idiotic, and trying to convince yourself that running out the clock vs scoring points in the last minutes of a game is slick. "Virtually every team in the league" would have risked losing, if they did what McDaniels did on the last offensive drive, playing not to lose. Is that not what GB did against Seattle some time ago?

I won't even dignify that last line with a response.

Last edited:
Like I said, they guessed wrong.

Tannehill was gimpy, but it was the last play of the game. Especially because MIA desperately needed it, it is not crazy to believe that a QB, shot up on morphine, would try to throw a 70 yard pass into the endzone.

Stop acting like there was zero chance of that happening. It was definitely a possibility, and Belichick took his chances. I am usually the first one to call out Belichick, but I had no issue with that play. Nobody anticipated getting beat by lateral passes, not even you, so stop pretending.

Duron Harmon after the game, on the record: “they’re not just throwing the ball 75 yards...We knew that. We knew it was going to be a lateral situation.”

You might want to remember the first rule of holes.

Running up the score by 7 points and forcing MIA to score twice in under a minute is clearly superior play-calling, but keep talking idiotically, stupidly stupid and idiotic, and trying to convince yourself that running out the clock vs scoring points in the last minutes of a game is slick. "Virtually every team in the league" would have risked losing, if they did what McDaniels did on the last offensive drive, playing not to lose.
So McDaniels is this alleged moron you're desperate to get rid of, yet you assume they would have scored a TD if they had gone for it on 4th down. In your mind you might think you can have it both ways, but in the real world that doesn't happen.

Not to mention it's better to be up 5 with 7 seconds left than up 2 with 16.

They put an offensive player out there for a play that would hit at about the 15 yard line. It didn't make sense from the start. It was a bad personnel decision to put any offensive player out there for that.

The coaching staff made a bunch of blunders at the end of that game. I'm sure I could come up with something if I really thought hard about it but, off the top of my head, I can't remember seeing a Patriots game more thoroughly blown by multiple unforced coaching gaffes.

EZ was too deep for a Hail Mary. Gronk out of position got exposed big time.

Maybe Gordon if he stays next season and gets to work on it during an offseason drill.

Gronk, without practicing approach angles or the agility to correct a bad one, was the last hope we had of winning the game.

You can’t say it was entirely his fault, there was a lot of bad situation football played by us today.
Gordon on the vertical and horizontal...Gronk was tardy...so wasn't Gilmore

Interesting how Josh Gordon was in on the Hail Mary against Chicago (the one that was completed but stopped at the 1 yard line) while Gronk was in there today. I wonder if the fact that that was completed made BB think Gronk is a better fit? Was Gronk active for that game, I can't remember....

Obi Melifonwu is right there. No one that I have seen has mentioned his name. He's the perfect player to have in end game situations whether lateral or Hail mary situations. 6' 4" athletic freak that has a 44 inch vertical for jump balls & runs 4.4 flat 40. And the big part....He is an actual defensive player that plays defense you know for the tackling part of playing defense.

No way should he have been on the field over D.McCourty. D.McCourty is on the field and he gets to Drake and pushes him out

AGREE! and BB would say that's why you pay certain Guys like D-Mac all that $$$. BB went against conventional wisdom there you are never too old to learn. Well one things for certain that will never happen again.

I have no issue with Gronk being in on that play. They were anticipating a hail mary pass and they guessed wrong. That was hardly surprising. My issue, as usual, is with McDaniels on that last offensive drive. Where he decided that running off the clock, and depending on Gostkowski who couldn't kick snow off the front porch all game, though he made the FG, was better than running up the score by 7 more points. Mc-stupid-Daniels ran those garbage running backs three times straight, and took the ball out of Brady's hands. Brady who had scored 3 TDs in the RZ previously.

I need McDaniels in GB, and he can take Michel, that pure garbage Birkhead, and James White with him.

This post was hilarious from start to finish.

Still the next day I don’t get it. If they were anticipating a Hail Mary I still wouldn’t like Gronk out there but I would get it. There is no way in the world a healthy Tannehill is throwing an 80 yard Hail Mary let alone coming off a bad shoulder with a bad ankle. That being said they should have been expecting some sort of lateral shenanigans. With a whole bunch laterals from shifty offensive players why in the world would you put Gronk out there? I would much rather have McCourty who gets paid to make tackles out there trying to tackle.

No need to beat up on Gronk anymore. IMO he is physically done. It will be a sad day if he is back next season.

Sounds like to me that the Pats had their Hail Mary package in on that play and someone didn’t catch it until it was too late. They (Coaches) simply didn’t know the situation, which is unfathomable to me.

Coaching. In my eyes, it has to fall on coaching.

… and Ghost. But that's it.

Well maybe a little O

Maybe a little LOT of Defense. But about all. :rolleyes:

At this point, tonight, I just have to laugh.
I'm perplexed.

Gronk was in no way in a position to make that tackle. But your best tacklers on the field, put a ton of them inside the 10 and make a GD tackle! Not Gronk's fault per se, but the bonehead who put him out there.

Ghost leaves 4 points on the field = huge.
Brady tacking a sack at the end of the half and not getting the points = huge.
Not kicking out of the end zone and making them go 75 yards = somewhat big. Maybe the extra six yards affords them to make the GD tackle at the 2 yard line.

Could have gone for it from the 6 on 4th down, not made it, and made them go 94 yards in 10 seconds or even less. Or, they get the TD and everything else is irrelevant.

Sounds like to me that the Pats had their Hail Mary package in on that play and someone didn’t catch it until it was too late. They (Coaches) simply didn’t know the situation, which is unfathomable to me.

We have the Best in the Coaching business with us but like all Humans he's not infallible.

Gronk was in no way in a position to make that tackle. But your best tacklers on the field, put a ton of them inside the 10 and make a GD tackle! Not Gronk's fault per se, but the bonehead who put him out there.

Ghost leaves 4 points on the field = huge.
Brady tacking a sack at the end of the half and not getting the points = huge.
Not kicking out of the end zone and making them go 75 yards = somewhat big. Maybe the extra six yards affords them to make the GD tackle at the 2 yard line.

Could have gone for it from the 6 on 4th down, not made it, and made them go 94 yards in 10 seconds or even less. Or, they get the TD and everything else is irrelevant.
Like Bill has said no one play loses the game. This was a combination of screwups that ultimately costed us in the end. The 29th ranked offense put up 400+ yards on us and we couldn’t run against the 30th ranked run defense. Aside from the passing game and the 2 blocked punts we played a pretty poor game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes