SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Steelers
Sun
Dec 16th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Shocking Ending
Sunday's loss in Miami was shocking and will likely have the Patriots doing some second-guessing this week.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Gridiron Genius by Lombardi

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by everlong, Nov 16, 2018.

1. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,399
    Finished this book by Michael Lombardi a week ago. I would recommend it as good not great. I was really hoping he would delve deeper into the draft evaluation process beyond just a high level view. He does cover working for Bill Walsh, Al Davis and of course Belichick. Their team building, drafting and football game theories were interesting vs each other. He also calls out a few coaches and personnel men.

He of course covers both spy/deflategate issues. Basically the entire league was and still is finding every way to steal signals and that deflate was the biggest witch hunt since the 1600's.

This last part I felt was interesting since we've had this debate numerous times on this forum. Who is Bill's worst draft pick ever? Lombardi quotes Bill as saying time and time again it was Ron Brace. Highlight the text before this to see if your guess was correct.

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

2. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22,901
    I would recommend the book to anyone. Once Lombardi is done telling his origin story which is when he is talking mostly about Walsh and a bit of Al Davis the entire book becomes somewhat a rational loveletter to Belichick. It doesn't go to far into unreasonable homer territory because generally Lombardi tries to back up whatever he praises by giving insight and facts why he sees things the way he does.

The chapter that describes the entire week leading up to the playoff game against the Ravens in January 2015 alone is worth the money (or time to find a PDF online). There is a lot of insight into how BB approaches game prep in it.

I also would argue that he makes a good case for why culture is so important but at the same time often ignored by fans and media alike.

I can see why you are a bit disappointed with the draft stuff. But to be honest I think Lombardi kinda gives you the answer in the book. Walsh never told people about how he was evaluating QBs. Similarly I don't think BB shares the way he analyzes things with more than Ernie. I am not even sure Caserio knows half of the time the evaluation methods of his coach. Giving this away would spread it all over the league when your staff inevitably moves on to other opportunities (or writes books).

That being said I would love to read a pure scouting book by Lombardi or have a peak at the reports he was tasked to generate for Walsh or BB.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NashuaPats

NashuaPats 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +5,859
    Regarding Bill's evaluation of players, I think the answer is already known. He prioritizes a player's love for the game, football IQ, and leadership qualities more than other GMs and coaches do.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +411
    The local library doesn’t have it. Worth buying?

5. letekro

letekro Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,503
    BB’s advantage in evaluation is that he understands better than most what the system he is running requires, and what it doesn’t require. He therefore does not overpay for players who can do more than what the system requires, and also identifies players that may not be on other team’s radars because they have glaring weaknesses that will be mitigated by performing their particular role in the system. Because of the importance of “the system,” one trait that all potential Patriots must demonstrate is commitment to Discipline in a team framework.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15,142
    I’m curious if he explained why Brace was the worst draft pick? I think many would have guessed Chad Jackson since they traded up for him and were seduced by his workouts over his actual game production. I always thought Brace was derailed by injuries with some chatter about his work ethic and attitude, but I’m wondering what else is added to the story.

7. everlong

Ratings:
    +3,399
    No and that was part of my frustration. He tended to tell you things but not explain beyond the surface. In this case BB might never have elaborated. One thing he did breakdown really well was Garoppolo vs Manziel who were their final two that year. I'd LOVE to know if they were really considering trading up for Mayfield of if that was pure media fabrication.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. everlong

Ratings:
    +3,399
    I got it from my library so tough for me to say. I'd give it 3.5/5 rating. I enjoyed it but still wish ML dove deeper into different parts.

9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41,821
    I don't think that was a media fabrication at all. I think they wanted to pounce if Mayfield fell. Too many similarities in his attitude and approach toward the game to Brady. Unfortunately, the Browns smartened up and took him #1 overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. everlong

Ratings:
    +3,399
    I agree in principal but the Patriots have also never shown the willingness to use that much draft capital on one player. Lombardi does go over the risk and how only 1/2 top QB prospects makes it. It's a unique circumstance so maybe they were going to load up to get him but I don't think any of us can be 100% positive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41,821
    I think they were banking on him falling out of the top 10. Wouldn't have taken as much draft capital as you think. However, things only began to really heat up with him in the last 24 hours before the draft.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,023
    Love Lombardi's podcasts on The Ringer, particularly this year as he's turned off his language filter. I'm sure his book pales in comparison.

Regards,
    Chris

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Wheelman

Wheelman Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8,938
    That came as a shock to me. Almost offended. I wanted him to tone it down but I got used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22,901
    Not at all. The book is his Ringer stuff in more depth and at times on steroids.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. chris_in_sunnyvale

Ratings:
    +3,023
    It shocked me, too, but I like the rawness of it all and when he goes off on someone, it is usually merited. Cleveland's coaching staff has been skewered by f-bombs :D

Regards,
    Chris

16. chris_in_sunnyvale

Ratings:
    +3,023
    Really? Wow, maybe I should buy the book. Hmm.

Regards
    Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wheelman

Wheelman Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8,938
    Yeah but he was doing that anyways before he started using profanity.

18. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +411
    I can’t do podcasts. It’s just someone I never met talking for forty straight minutes. I can’t even listen to someone I know and love for 40 mins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18,354
    I was just going to say that it was Ron Brace. Everyone else was on the other kid from BC and Belichick tried to go outside the box and liked Brace.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,628
    Got me too. Chad Jackson was my least favorite. Saw him many times in training camp. His basic don't give a hoot attitude shone through. It seemed like his very existence pissed off Brady. I'd see Brady, looking disgusted, waive him away from where he'd lined up to a different spot. On another camp day I thought I saw Brady just signal him off the field. He never returned that scrimmage. Chad would be yukking it up with other players while on the field and never seemed to have his head in the game. Got drafted because he had a muscular Josh Gordon like body.

I took major flak here because I started a thread with Chad Jackson Bust in the title. Folks correctly pointed out that it takes a couple seasons to evaluate a pick. They were right but Chad was the easily discernible exception.

Brace was just another fat BC guy. He must have done something really interesting to piss off BB.

• Useful Useful x 1