PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Cosell Super Bowl Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
excellent article

Greg Cosell's Super Bowl Review: Inside the play that flipped the Patriots' Super Bowl win

reading around this thread some earlier this week it seemed that we got hot in 4th simply because the Falcon's D got tired and returned to their zone concepts which we were able to beat...but that's not quite it according to this

in essence falcons played a robber 1 switch, so they had man coverage w/ one guy roaming the field to stop the crossing routes in the middle of the field usually...and they added a wrinkle where the robber would sometimes switch depending on what route a CB would run (which is what made the pick 6 happen)...and the 2nd half adjustments to beat it was to play outside the hashes and run routes outside, thereby eliminating the need to care about the robber who was inside the hashmarks, and the confusion that could come up from the switch of roles

but he mentions the falcons were playing man late into regulation and OT

Very cool and Greg explains it much better with pics, check it out

Great read that gives credit to both team. Amazing to realize how close thing are to winning or loosing.

If he were alive, I wonder what Howard Cosell's review of this Super Bowl would have been...

Great defensive wrinkle that I'm sure other teams will pick up on. In the Seattle Super Bowl Brady's first pick was caused by Seattle playing a Tampa 2 zone rather than the expected 3 deep zone, so Quinn's good about switching things up at key moments to cause false reads. He seems less good about pacing a team so that they can keep discipline for the entire game. I remember in the SB49 video Belichick telling Brady "Yeah, you can forget about the rush, now. They've lost all gap discipline and they're going right by you."

Thanks for sharing! Cosell was on FS1 for the week leading up to the game. He was very knowledgeable in explaining what type of defense the Falcons were playing throughout the season.

Actually, I went back to watch some of those specific plays again and some of the throws by Brady were just money. That 3rd and 10 to Hogan was just perfect. A little too soft and the inside guy would get it. To high the back DB would get it. It had to be in the perfect place for Hogan and it was. Pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back