PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green Bay kicking the field goal: a different perspective

Arians decision to accept the encroachment penalty on 2nd and 1 with 1:56 remaining was a much worse decision than LaFleur’s decision to kick a field goal, and LaFleur’s intentional concession of that penalty puts him into “overall net gain” for his coaching in the final minutes.

You do have Rodgers, who had an outlier season, and this is where you’d favor your franchise’s 40M investment. Which I think is reason enough to go for it. Put the game in the hands of your best player as much as you can.
This ^^^^

What was he doing best in that 2nd half ?
What was he doing in the 1st half???? Its a 60 minute game and more often than not he puts his team in position to win

The analytics BS never seems to take into account different personnel for each situation. When you have Aaron Rodgers as your QB, taking the ball out of his hands and hoping it will come back seems suboptimal.

Arians decision to accept the encroachment penalty on 2nd and 1 with 1:56 remaining was a much worse decision than LaFleur’s decision to kick a field goal, and LaFleur’s intentional concession of that penalty puts him into “overall net gain” for his coaching in the final minutes.

I was thinking this as well, and really don't know the answer to this.........

What would happen if he declined, but the Packers 'did it again'?

Declined?

And then did it again?

Do they get an unsportsmanlike penalty? And do you decline that too?

Things could get messy, but I definitely understand your point.

I was thinking this as well, and really don't know the answer to this.........

Declined?

And then did it again?

I dont think kicking the field goal was a terrible call. They had been stopped at goal to go all night and they were just stopped again. They would then need a 2 point conversion and then give the ball to the bucs with 2 minutes left.

Declined?

And then did it again?

If it kept going on and on, the referee has broad discretion to declare a palpably unfair act. I think telling the coach “do it again and you’re going to be charged a time out” would put a stop to it.

If it kept going on and on, the referee has broad discretion to declare a palpably unfair act. I think telling the coach “do it again and you’re going to be charged a time out” would put a stop to it.
Good call

If I'm coaching and have decided to kick the FG if I don't make it on 3rd down, why not tell my receivers on 3rd down to push the limits of OPI to dare the refs to throw a changing flag. Create the separation needed get the TD and if they call the OPI then just kick a FG from the 18 as opposed to the 8. You could even try the same strategy on 4th down if you are really willing to risk it.

If I'm coaching and have decided to kick the FG if I don't make it on 3rd down, why not tell my receivers on 3rd down to push the limits of OPI to dare the refs to throw a changing flag. Create the separation needed get the TD and if they call the OPI then just kick a FG from the 18 as opposed to the 8. You could even try the same strategy on 4th down if you are really willing to risk it.

Trying to draw TB offsides with a hard count is another idea along those lines.

Trying to draw TB offsides with a hard count is another idea along those lines.
It worked for the G for the Giants in the SB, the guy was even quoted as saying he did it on purpose because the game is over if he doesn't grab Seymour by the neck.

Funny we didn’t hear about “palpably unfair act.” rule existing when trippin Tomlin was doing his thing.
Imagine if a similar rule existed in the NBA?.....where a team could not gain an advantage from fouling?

Your team gets fouled while up by two with 3 seconds left...…..nah, we'll decline

Imagine if a similar rule existed in the NBA?.....where a team could not gain an advantage from fouling?

Your team gets fouled while up by two with 3 seconds left...…..nah, we'll decline
Maybe that's one of the reasons the league eliminated the one-and-one foul/free throw rule some years back...Does anyone else also remember the 3-to-make-2 free throws penalty? I can still hear Johnny Most's voice describing those situations...

It was a gutless call. Rodgers had 50 total TDs this year. You need to trust him in that spot.

You also need to take into account who is on the other side. This isn't Jared Goff and the rams. It's tom brady 6 time superbowl champion countless game winning drives.

The Bucs going for it at the end of the half rather than kicking the FG and the packers kicking a FG rather than going for it was basically the game for both teams.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back