Great Thread From Hurley On McCourty's Pitch For Hogan's Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
This was pretty funny (click and read the whole thread)

I like Hogan as a lower-tier receiver and wouldn't mind him taking over for Dorsett. He's definitely more versatile and I wouldn't mind seeing what he has left.

Last edited:
Eh I wouldn't expect him to make the team if he signed back here. His thing was being "always open", but he stopped getting any sort of separation in 2018.

I like Hogan as a lower-tier receiver and wouldn't mind him taking over for Dorsett.

NearAntiqueArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

I liked the guy when the Pats had more depth... but I think that door is now...

Eh I wouldn't expect him to make the team if he signed back here. His thing was being "always open", but he stopped getting any sort of separation in 2018.
I agree, but with injuries, he was going against top defensive backs and you're right, he couldn't get separation. I like him down the depth chart, but definitely not in a lead role. Although I still feel they're missing someone at the top in this group considering that with Edelman, Harry, Meyers and Sanu they still need help. Unless, of course, one of those other three can have a breakthrough year and take the pressure off of Edelman. And they're obviously still missing a tight end.

Last edited:
Hogan was an excellent blocker on run plays and a good ST’s player. If healthy and he still wants to play, I’d bring him in to fill out the 90. But BB tends not to go down a beaten path except where it’s his mistake (player not in the right role) not the play of the player.

In other words, McCourty wants to tank for Trevor too

Subjectively, I seem to remember his issues being more around drops rather than getting open, however, his stats don't seem to reflect that at all. In fact, they're quite consistent:

Year - Catch/Target - Yds/Catch
2016 - 38/58 - 17.9
2017 - 34/59 - 12.9
2018 - 35/55 - 15.2

BB tends not to go down a beaten path except where it’s his mistake (player not in the right role) not the play of the player.

I think he's more shrewd than that - every player has a value and a role and if it's a fit in BB's best interest, he signs them. For instance, how would you categorize: Blount, Chung, Collins, Watson, Hoyer.

Reactions: Ian
I agree, but with injuries, he was going against top defensive backs and you're right, he couldn't get separation. I like him down the depth chart, but definitely not in a lead role. Although I still feel they're missing someone at the top in this group considering that with Edelman, Harry, Meyers and Sanu they still need help. Unless, of course, one of those other three can have a breakthrough year and take the pressure off of Edelman. And they're obviously still missing a tight end.

You make a good point, especially about him going against starting CBs. I just fear that would be the exact situation this year too, since Bill has a tendency of starting the veterans with experience in the system. Maybe that was more Brady's preference? I'd definitely rather see someone like Meyers ahead of Hogan on the depth chart.

Wouldn't hurt to keep Hogan around for the summer at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back