• A - Fantastic effort

Votes: 116 67.8%
  • B - Solid but not especially exciting

Votes: 37 21.6%
  • C - Mediocre

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • D - Poor

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • F - BB has LOST his mind. You spent too much money!! Go Directly to Jail. Do NOT Collect 200!

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • R - Ray Lewis killed a man

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven’t seen the contract details, but the numbers are insane. I read something the other day about high-end FA TE deals - they’ve got a 0% hit rate (by someone’s measure). Think about the names: Austin Hooper, Trey Burton, Jimmy Graham, Mercedes Lewis. It’s hard to find a big $ FA contract to a TE that worked out. Gronk would be the best example...

Just kind of makes me nervous, ‘cause we spent a ton trying to get us a TE this year.

I think what they do at QB will ultimately determine how I grade all this.

If they somehow stand pat with Cam I give in an F because why even bother. I would love love LOVE to be wrong but I think he's a rotting husk of his former self and surrounding him with talent just puts you on a fast track to 8-8.

If they did this to set up a drafted QB for success I give it an A+, because it's exactly what you need to do to keep a rookie from falling on their face.

If they somehow trade for Wilson or Watson I might laugh myself to death haha

Every year we criticize other fan bases for exactly this exercise.

As well we should, because when they do it, it is an exercise in futility. When the Pats do it, it is a stroke of genius.

I give an A for the effort. Love the signing of the two TE. Little less about the WR. I’ll wait to see how it unfold on the field. The probability that all of them pan out is small.

We have definitely improve on offense but i think there is still some question on the defensive side. We don’t really know the level High and Chung will be at. If Gilmore will be here. If Jackson is good enough without Gilmore. McCourty is getting old.

the QB will determine the fortune of this team good or bad but I think as of right now we are still behind the Bills and maybe even Miami in the division

I need to see @captain stone's analysis of the first two days of FA for the Pats.

If you insist...

I graded it a C.

On the Plus side are Judon, Godchaux (though we still need a Danny Shelton/Malcolm Brown type of DT) & the TEs (though I would've signed only one of Smith/Henry and tried to sign a Jesse James/Kyle Rudolf type instead);

On the minus side: Everybody Else...Billy is showing that he is no longer able to properly evaluate not only college WRs, but professional ones as well.

Wish Belichick could have done better than giving Agholor $10+ million a year. Kendrick Bourne is solid but unspectacular. WR signings are my only minor complaints.

Otherwise, a solid B+/A- free agency so far.

A- I think. You can't fault the strategy or ambition and I love the signings for the most part. I slightly question the Mills signing and the amount we paid Godchaux and Agholor personally. Given where the market is settling, perhaps we could have waited and paid less. However, this has brought some excitement back to the team. Now just need to find a QB....

B for me. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s been a great two days but A) I have to be convinced on the WRs, B) Might all be for nothing because of the QB situation and C) Still a couple of positions that need to be fixed. Bring back Andrews and add another interesting body on Defense (Van Noy perhaps) and I’d knock it up to an A.

I do hope that all this activity is aimed at trading up for the QB in the draft whomever BB thinks that is. Will get an A+ if that happens.

Dont think we can complain that the team has not tried to address some issues , we wanted action and we got it ! Like a few other posters the WR's give a little concern but based on the most recent film clips I have watched their current form looks good (I appreciate that a lot of players can look good in a 10 minute film clip though). The TE's themselves are a master stroke and deserve an A , we have signed some depth and upgraded in other positions.........A- for me.

Grade B.
I love Smith and Judon's signings, I like BB addressed positions needed to be fixed: DL, WR and OL. However Cam's return is not a move I am contented with ( I still believe it is a prelude to draft a QB in round 1). Additionally after losing Thuney I expect we somehow keep Andrews ( if not we need to address C via draft ).
By and large BB has surprised me and given a hope we can be a playoffs team this season.

The 3 biggest spenders in FA so far were us, Jags and the Texans. Not sure we want to be in that company but we had to do something. I do think we drastically overpaid especially for the 2 receivers who would have been there past day one and the DB too. I just hope these guys pan out. I am hesitant to give a grade until we see them on the field kind of like the draft but for sure I believe our team was improved. How much and at what cost remains to be seen.

The 3 biggest spenders in FA so far were us, Jags and the Texans. Not sure we want to be in that company but we had to do something. I do think we drastically overpaid especially for the 2 receivers who would have been there past day one and the DB too. I just hope these guys pan out. I am hesitant to give a grade until we see them on the field kind of like the draft but for sure I believe our team was improved. How much and at what cost remains to be seen.
In my opinion, we overpaid for Smith too but that was more to the fact that they paid him based on what he could be. I am with you on agholor mainly. I don’t know why but I have the feeling he has bust written all over him but it’s only a two year contract and with the cap going up next year it isn’t a big deal. I think could be a little more problematic if Smith doesn’t live up to his contract but even that will not cause trouble cap wise in the next few years

After careful consideration now that the excitement has faded... I give it a C+. And I can tell you why is 2 words. Questionable contracts.

I know that on day 1 you pay a premium. Some of the contracts I don't mind, others are not so great. Let's go through each major contract with it's own grade.

Hunter Henry D+ I'm not a fan of this contract. He's getting 12.5M/yr with no real wiggle room. To put it into perspective that is about 5/6th of what guys like Kittle and Kelce make. Does he have 83% of their production? No. Not even in his best year was he even close to 1,000 yards. We're paying a good player like he is almost great. And there is no way to get out of the contract. Even if the cap goes up after this year it will be hard to justify this contract.

Jonnu Smith C- Everything that can be said about Henry can be said about Jonnu with very few differences. One being that assuming we cut him after the 3rd year a dead cap hit happens in year 4, which will allow them to spread it out a little. Still not a fan of that though.

Nelson Agholor C- Locked in for 2 years with a WR that honestly isn't all that good. He's a decent #2, but that's all For a guy who is likely to get you around 800 yards, they are paying a lot. He is currently the 20th highest paid WR in the NFL. And that is over 2 years, so no time for the cap rising to catch up with it.

There other contracts are better, but these ones seem questionable for the price tag.

Last edited:
My first thought was... what's not to like? Then I saw two C's and two F's and read some of the posts. This is a tough crowd.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back