PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem at all with Gostkowski kicking the game winner in the 4th quarter. He’s earned that with me and I trust him to make the kick. If he misses it, oh well

Remember that guy in New Orleans ?

I don’t remember his name but I wish we had a kicker like that guy

Remember that guy in New Orleans ?

I don’t remember his name but I wish we had a kicker like that guy

Morten Andersen was great. Obviously. I used to draft him or the "other" New Orleans guy, John Carney. Nails. Every time. Phil Dawson was another that had a great career.

My issue with Gostkowski is his kick stroke is the exact same if it's a 17 yard kick or a 50 yard kick. Bull in a china shop and zero finesse.

No fan should be nervous every time he lines up. Ironically, it was BB who led the push for the 33 yard PATs.

Talk about backfiring.

Gostowski has been a very good kicker and has better accuracy numbers than Vinatieri in both the regular season and the playoffs and has always been better on kickoffs. Difference is that AV made 3 all time clutch kicks plus a a few other really big ones to cement his legacy while Gostkowski has not. When AV missed 2 FGS against the Panthers he made the game winner so the misses were quickly forgotten. When Gostkowski missed an XP against the Broncos they lose by 2 so it gets heightened scrutiny.

Janikowski is available. #SignTheBeast?

Just kidding.

There shouldn’t be much debate, here. There are no other better options than Gost, and he’s been very good from far out.

I do understand the concern when he misses XPs and FGs in the biggest game of the season THREE years in a row.

2015–AFCCG at DE
2016–SB
2017–SB

That alone is going to set off alarm bells. As we know, it’s about field position, as well, and he excels in that area.

Morten Andersen was great. Obviously. I used to draft him or the "other" New Orleans guy, John Carney. Nails. Every time. Phil Dawson was another that had a great career.

My issue with Gostkowski is his kick stroke is the exact same if it's a 17 yard kick or a 50 yard kick. Bull in a china shop and zero finesse.

No fan should be nervous every time he lines up. Ironically, it was BB who led the push for the 33 yard PATs.

Talk about backfiring.

Yes. Anderson was a great one. It’s hillarious that B.B. wanted that longer point after. Killed us in Denver two years ago

Yes. Anderson was a great one. It’s hillarious that B.B. wanted that longer point after. Killed us in Denver two years ago
Certainly had the potential to hurt us in the past two SBs, as well. We needed incredible luck last year to score the 2 pointer, twice. Also, imagine if Gronk either comes down with or bats the ball to our receiver on the final Hail Mary play of the game, and we fail to convert the 2 pointer this time around.

While there’s no better options available at kicker, those plays have been enormous, and Gost has failed a bit on the biggest stages. I think some of it is coincidence and some blame certainly falls on the shoulders of the snapper/holder...but still, it’s not what you want to see three years in a row.

Last edited:
Certainly had the potential to hurt us in the past two SBs, as well. We needed incredible luck last year to score the 2 pointer, twice.

Yeah it did. Those two point tries to tie it up against Atlanta were nerve racking as hell

Yeah it did. Those two point tries to tie it up against Atlanta were nerve racking as hell
The odds of that occurring had to have been low as hell. I kept hoping that they’d somehow have time to get the ball back when the inevitable happened and we were down 28-26, but thank God it never happened that way.

The chances were like less than one percent making two two point conversions. That was the craziest football game I’ve ever seen. The game with philly Isn’t even close

That was the craziest football game I’ve ever seen. The game with philly Isn’t even close
I couldn’t really truly appreciate the game, live, due to being so nervous and awestruck. I just remember being so stunned at the end. It was both amazing and insanely stressful. I get enjoyment out of the replays and Sound FX shows, etc.

I couldn’t really truly appreciate the game, live, due to being so nervous and awestruck. I just remember being so stunned at the end. It was both amazing and insanely stressful. I get enjoyment out of the replays and Sound FX shows, etc.

I had that going on too. I mean, when it was 28-3 I was not nervous as I figured there was no hope but at 28-20 I got stressed out and started slamming shots. I’ve watched the nfl films thing a hundred times and still can’t believe it. This year I was almost certain they’d go down and score.

"The hardest to learn is the least complicated"...

Unless you listen to the sportstalk idiots who expound these theories...

I get that... but I just don't want any play where my 40+ year old QB has to catch passes in the playbook. You have the GOAT, you don't need the bag of tricks.

As we lost the game, that would appear to not be the case.
spock.gif

I cant' stand the guy.

I have never felt this way about a kicker in NE, ever. Tony Franklin I trusted, veteran Matt Bahr with Parcells (even if he had no leg), Scott Sisson, obviously Vinatieri, heck even Shayne Graham as Gostkowski's fill in during 2010, I trusted more.

All Time FG%
3. Gostkowski
11. Graham
13. Vinatieri
81. Bahr
101. Franklin
Gostkowski is on track to become the NFL’s all time leading scorer even if his career is slightly shorter than Vinatieri or Morton Anderson.

If you watch the replay, he has plenty of time to get off a kick that is good from 26 yards. The snap was botched, which makes the kick harder, but the kick could have and should have been easily made. That's the point. Nobody is doubting that it wasn't made harder by the snap. If you watch the replay, he clearly has plenty of time to make a decent kick. In fact, his kick hits the cross bar which shows you just how close he was to making it. Had plenty of time to get it off and make it good. The PAT was obviously hangover from the missed FG.
I figured after you had 10 "dislikes" from your original post that you would see the light. How many kickers make field goals from botched snaps? You state the kick "should have been easily made". Evidently, you don't know football or appreciate knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes