PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antdawg

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Surprised with all the hammering BB is taking here the past few days that no one is really talking about Gostkowski's misses. I'm not saying the loss is on him, but that missed 26 yarder early was so out of character. I realize the snap was botched, etc etc.. but it's 26 yards and with no defenders near him, he's gotta nail that kick. Makes it a 9-6 game, stems momentum and even if you argue it doesn't, Brady's last drive looks a lot different down 1 point (I'm including the inexcusable missed PAT later) than it does down 5. So maybe we run the ball more, Brady doesn't fumble, etc etc.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Just surprised no one is pointing to these missed kicks. It was 26 yards...

Go Pats!

Last edited:
With the Butler fiasco, the McDaniels business and above all the way the D 'played people have had bigger targets. Give it a chance, Gostkowski will no doubt get his turn in the box. BTW, it's hard to hold him responsible for the botched snap/hold. LACES OUT!

We've won so many big games because of Gostkowski. We've also won so many big games because of Belichick.

Surprised with all the hammering BB is taking here the past few days that no one is really talking about Gostkowski's misses. I'm not saying the loss is on him, but that missed 26 yarder early was so out of character. I realize the snap was botched, etc etc.. but it's 26 yards and with no defenders near him, he's gotta nail that kick. Makes it a 9-6 game, stems momentum and even if you argue it doesn't, Brady's last drive looks a lot different down 1 point (I'm including the inexcusable missed PAT later) than it does down 5. So maybe we run the ball more, Brady doesn't fumble, etc etc.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Just surprised no one is pointing to these missed kicks. It was 26 yards...

You're really blaming that missed field goal on Gostkowski??? Frankly I was shocked they got the kick off; most of the time in that situation the ball gets eaten. I was expecting Ryan to get up and for them to try to salvage something out of it.

You can blame Gostkowski for the extra point attempt - where who knows if the botched field goal was still in his mind. And it's not the first time he's done that on a big stage - Super Bowl 51, 2015 AFC Title Game. But to assign any blame for him on the FG is insane.

He is a fine kicker but I don’t think he likes pressure kicks. He had time to calmly kick that FG despite the botched snap.
We aren’t hammering him because there’s bigger fish to fry. AKA BB.

I think all FG kickers are creatures of habit. As soon as the snap was botched, his windup was all out of sorts and he had to kick from a dead stand still. This completely threw him off. I actually would have preferred the holder to pick the ball up and try to look for a pass on a scramble drill.

Right, the reason he's not getting roasted is because it was so early in the game that we had time to make amends (and ultimately we did have the lead in the fourth quarter), so as others pointed out.....just bigger fish to fry.

Philly failed to score any additional points on three of their touchdowns.

You're really blaming that missed field goal on Gostkowski??? Frankly I was shocked they got the kick off; most of the time in that situation the ball gets eaten. I was expecting Ryan to get up and for them to try to salvage something out of it.

You can blame Gostkowski for the extra point attempt - where who knows if the botched field goal was still in his mind. And it's not the first time he's done that on a big stage - Super Bowl 51, 2015 AFC Title Game. But to assign any blame for him on the FG is insane.

If you watch the replay, he has plenty of time to get off a kick that is good from 26 yards. The snap was botched, which makes the kick harder, but the kick could have and should have been easily made. That's the point. Nobody is doubting that it wasn't made harder by the snap. If you watch the replay, he clearly has plenty of time to make a decent kick. In fact, his kick hits the cross bar which shows you just how close he was to making it. Had plenty of time to get it off and make it good. The PAT was obviously hangover from the missed FG.

Rather than a dumb trick play that made Brady look ridiculous and exposed him to risk... how about the 4th down deep play on 3rd and 5 instead - and then kick what I believe was a 52 yard FG if it doesn't work.

Those 3 points would have been useful.

I think all FG kickers are creatures of habit. As soon as the snap was botched, his windup was all out of sorts and he had to kick from a dead stand still. This completely threw him off. I actually would have preferred the holder to pick the ball up and try to look for a pass on a scramble drill.

It's not like he's never gotten a bad snap before. Professional kickers adjust. I mean, I get it, it was a bad snap. No question. It was also a chip shot and he nearly made it, rushing it more than he needed to.

Not to make excuses but the painted areas of the field were very slick.

He had to stop his whole process and essentially standing kick a poorly placed ball.

He has been a top 5 kicker the entire time he’s been here. He’s had some big misses, but that is magnified by the fact that he has just had so many more opportunities than any other K because he’s in the playoffs multiple games every year. He is the all time leader in postseason XP attempts by 16 attempts, and 2nd only to Vinatieri as the active leader in playoff FG attempts as well.

Would I trade him for Justin Tucker? Yeah, I would. The time will come to find the next one, but we’ve been spoiled by having high quality kickers for the past 20-some years and I think Ghost gets killed unfairly a lot around here.

I think he should be cut. He's not worth 3+ MIL. Cut him draft his replacement and pay league minimum.

He's missed an extra point in the last 2 SBs and missed an extra point in the loss to Denver in AFC championship 3 years ago.

Twice in SBs BB has decided not to kick FGs that he could of made. If you don't trust him to kick in the SB replace him already.

Rather than a dumb trick play that made Brady look ridiculous and exposed him to risk... how about the 4th down deep play on 3rd and 5 instead - and then kick what I believe was a 52 yard FG if it doesn't work.

Those 3 points would have been useful.

There was no more risk for Brady on this play than on any other. Remember how on trick plays there are always options and looks that need to be there for it to be executed ? If someone stayed with Brady the pass would have never gone there but would have been either a throw away or simply a rush attempt by Dola.

Brady getting crushed by a tackler would not have happened by design.

I think he should be cut. He's not worth 3+ MIL. Cut him draft his replacement and pay league minimum.

Yeah because kickers are so easy to draft. Just go ask the Bucs or the Chargers.

Jesus we have one of the best kickers in the league who got screwed by his snapper and holder twice in a game and people are asking for his head.

It's not like he's never gotten a bad snap before. Professional kickers adjust. I mean, I get it, it was a bad snap. No question. It was also a chip shot and he nearly made it, rushing it more than he needed to.
I dont think you comprehend and understand how perfect the timing involved needs to be.

Example: in golf, start your takeaway/backswing while a golf ball is being thrown to a person right next to the tee, who then needs to place it on the tee as you start your downswing.

Last edited:

Are you serious with the part where you think he should have hit a totally botched snap ? He was in motion already and had to stop in the middle of it screwing up his entire kicking motion. Are you for real ?

Also your math down the line is stupid because you just assume that the Eagles would continue going for 2pt conversions and missing them for no reason at all. Kicking is the last thing to complain about in this game.

He's missed an extra point in the last 2 SBs and missed an extra point in the loss to Denver in AFC championship 3 years ago.

Twice in SBs BB has decided not to kick FGs that he could of made. If you don't trust him to kick in the SB replace him already.

Yea that whole 1.6% he is taking up in cap space in 2018 is a friggan boat anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back