PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost is back: Two-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has literally never happened in Gostkowski’s playoff career.
Unfortunately, I would argue that it happened in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl at the end of our perfect season.

Unfortunately, I would argue that it happened in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl at the end of our perfect season.
I’d give him the benefit of the doubt on that since 49 is somewhat close to 45, but the rest of the thought is so absurd that it’s clear he’s just making stuff up to try to rationalize his opinion on Gostkowski.

I'm a Gost fan/supporter, but my recollection is them punting on 4th on more than just one occasion. Also going for it on 4th once or twice. The yardages may have been 40-50 range and not 45, but I'm pretty sure bb hesitated more than once. Whether it was solely based on mistrust of Gost or other tactical reasons is a whole mother question

Yes exactly. I don't remember the Pats punting or going for it on offense on 4th down with AV and do remember many times Belichick punted or went on 4th instead of risk Gost kick a 42+ yd FG

In the playoffs during Gostkowski's career, between 40 and 50 yards in chronological order, the Patriots have passed on...
1. A 49 yard field goal in the first Giants Super Bowl. Really the only good example here.
2. A 44 yard field goal against the Colts in the 2013 Divisional Round, up by 21 points with 2:41 left (this was actually a Gostkowski punt)
3. A 47 yard field goal, at the end of the third quarter of the 2013 AFCCG, on 4th and 3 down 17 points
4. A 48 yard field goal on 4th and 1 against the Jaguars last year
5. A 43 yard field goal on 4th and 1 against the Chiefs this year
6. A 50 yard field goal on 4th and 1 against the Rams this year

Now, did they start going for the 4th and 1s recently because of a lack of faith in Gostkowski? No. They just didn't have any 4th and 1s between a 40 and 50 yard field goal range in his first 9 playoffs seasons. In the regular season, he has attempted a kick in only 3 of 20 such situations, and only 1 of 18 when the game wasn't tied.

(And of course, the Patriots have never passed on a 45 yard field goal in the playoffs because the only fourth down at the 27 yard line was Gostkowski's successful field goal in last year's Super Bowl.)

What is the average distance? Have to compare apples to apples .
Vinatieri was kicking 46 yarders in the snow or winning 2 Superbowl kicks, while the Patriots have repeatedly punted or went for offense on 4th down instead of risk letting Gostkowski try a 45yd FG
Sure. Such a strong leg that the Colts had to carry a second kicker for kickoffs.

Step1. Every 2 months have a random Ghost thread touting Ghost
Step2. Attack anyone who doesn't hold the view that he's the greatest kicker ever
3. Complain that posters seem intent on trashing Ghost and touting Vinatieri, when the entire thread was unsolicited and people are just offering their opinions, including facts of why he isn't a faultless superhero
4. Wait 2 more months and continue a debate that NO ONE is even trying to have

Would people like Ghost back? Of course. He's been a high performer for a long time. If he weren't worth it Belichick would never have kept him this long. But at the same time even Belichick was hesitant to have Ghost close out the game on a 42yarder, Brady had to convince him. Go trash Belichick then. I'd personally like him back but certainly not an overpay - same at ANY position !!!

Step1. Every 2 months have a random Ghost thread touting Ghost

Strawman. Not sure why you think we have a Gost thread every 2 months. But even if we did, he deserves it. He is the 2-3rd best kicker all time.

Step2. Attack anyone who doesn't hold the view that he's the greatest kicker ever

Double strawman. Who says he is the definitive GOAT. He is the 3rd best of all time. That is what people state. And its the truth. The numbers are the numbers.

And who is attacking anyone? Proving someone wrong is "attacking?"

3. Complain that posters seem intent on trashing Ghost and touting Vinatieri, when the entire thread was unsolicited and people are just offering their opinions, including facts of why he isn't a faultless superhero

More Strawman. You can trash Gost all you want. You just cant make things up to fit a narrative. And that is exactly what you did...Sort of like what you are doing in this post. Creating strawmen

4. Wait 2 more months and continue a debate that NO ONE is even trying to have

So we arent allowed to discuss Gost. And posters arent allowed to call out posters making up things to fit a narrative? Okkkkk???????

Would people like Ghost back? Of course. He's been a high performer for a long time. If he weren't worth it Belichick would never have kept him this long. But at the same time even Belichick was hesitant to have Ghost close out the game on a 42yarder, Brady had to convince him. Go trash Belichick then. I'd personally like him back but certainly not an overpay - same at ANY position !!!

Again, really???? You have the greatest QB sneak guy of all time on a 4th and inches and you are using this to somehow show that BB dosent trust Gost? TB certainly does, he practically insisted on using Gost to kick the FG. BB did his BB thing and used the time to think about everything.

Sorry, epic fail here.

He may not have left his heart in San Francisco, but it may be heading there...

Wake me up when the 49ers actually rescind the tag. Until then this is all just posturing and leveraging.

I would take Robbie over Ghost. The guy has a leg and is pretty automatic. He would do well with the Patriots coaching him.

Gost is almost certainly gone. Maybe we could draft a kicker or find one at Popeyes

If we can get Robbie Gould for less money than Ghost, do it.

If we can get Robbie Gould for less money than Ghost, do it.

Unless it's substantially less, which I doubt, no way.

He's an intricate part of this team. You don't cast away pieces that fit. Chemistry and locker rooms matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back