PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost is back: Two-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we’re going to pay what another team will

Maybe. But that's a far cry from "almost certainly gone." I don't think anyone outside of the Patriots organization has any idea where negotiations are between Gost and the team.

Again, really???? You have the greatest QB sneak guy of all time on a 4th and inches and you are using this to somehow show that BB dosent trust Gost? TB certainly does, he practically insisted on using Gost to kick the FG. BB did his BB thing and used the time to think about everything.

The fact that Brady is the master of the QB sneak isn't even the main reason he was considering going for it.

The reason he was considering going for it is that getting that one yard basically guaranteed victory, unless Andrews and Brady somehow f—ed up the kneeldown.

Any other option, including a FG, meant giving the Rams a chance to come back.

This would be some weird s**t if the Pats and 9ers switch kickers like they did with back up QB’s.

The advantage in going to SF is that it eliminates Gostkowski's greatest weakness: Kicking in Championship games.

This whole Gostkowski situation is weird, largely because there seems to be no urgency on either side.

Strawman. Not sure why you think we have a Gost thread every 2 months. But even if we did, he deserves it. He is the 2-3rd best kicker all time.

Double strawman. Who says he is the definitive GOAT. He is the 3rd best of all time. That is what people state. And its the truth. The numbers are the numbers.

And who is attacking anyone? Proving someone wrong is "attacking?"

More Strawman. You can trash Gost all you want. You just cant make things up to fit a narrative. And that is exactly what you did...Sort of like what you are doing in this post. Creating strawmen

So we arent allowed to discuss Gost. And posters arent allowed to call out posters making up things to fit a narrative? Okkkkk???????

Again, really???? You have the greatest QB sneak guy of all time on a 4th and inches and you are using this to somehow show that BB dosent trust Gost? TB certainly does, he practically insisted on using Gost to kick the FG. BB did his BB thing and used the time to think about everything.

Sorry, epic fail here.

You're right about everything here except the last bit. It was absolutely idiotic that there was even a conversation about going for it on that 4th and inches. I don't have the probabilities up in front of me, but you have to figure Gost had a % chance of making it somewhere in the 80s. I wouldn't give Brady higher than a 65% chance of making that sneak in an obvious short yardage situation, especially since he hasn't been the sneak king for a few years now.

If either of those plays are successful, you win, so take the one with a higher chance of success. The argument against this was "b-but what if they scored, then got the onside kick, then scored again?????". Cool. Make the other team do the low probability plays, not us. Same principle that makes me not like when teams pre-emptively go for 2.

You don't cast away pieces that fit. Chemistry and locker rooms matter.
If your FA kicker prefers a different offer in a new city, is that remotely considered "casting away"?

Robbie Gould finally coming home to New England would be something lol. Bet Gost is trying to up the price because he has no leverage and Pats have their number.

If either of those plays are successful, you win, so take the one with a higher chance of success. The argument against this was "b-but what if they scored, then got the onside kick, then scored again?????". Cool. Make the other team do the low probability plays, not us. Same principle that makes me not like when teams pre-emptively go for 2.

And yet, the exact sort of thing that led BB to think about going for it started to happen: the Rams got into FG range; if they made it, they could have gone for the onside kick and, if successful, then had one or two chances at a Hail Mary.

I wonder if he folds and signs before the draft.

This whole Gostkowski situation is weird, largely because there seems to be no urgency on either side.
Maybe Gost is starting to feel it and this is his way of sending a message. Deal with me or I'm gone.

The lack of a deadline or some other kind of pressure will result in a lack of action. It really makes no difference whatsoever when the Pats sign him (or another kicker) as long as it is before camp starts.

This is now a play by Ghosts agent to put some movement into the entire thing. At the same time the 49ers are putting some pressure on Gould to sign the franchise tag. Posturing.

You're right about everything here except the last bit. It was absolutely idiotic that there was even a conversation about going for it on that 4th and inches. I don't have the probabilities up in front of me, but you have to figure Gost had a % chance of making it somewhere in the 80s. I wouldn't give Brady higher than a 65%hchance of making that sneak in an obvious short yardage situation, especially since he hasn't been the sneak king for a few years now.

The issue with all of this is that you have build a strawman scenario by coming up with 80% for Ghost to make the kick and only 65% for Brady to sneak on 4th & inches.

How do you set those percentages ?

I give you Ghost and the 80% (he was 75% between 40-50 and we were closer to the 40 for that kick) but then you should maybe add on top the chances that the kick fails due to someone else on ST screwing up. Maybe the snapper or holder ****s up like against the Eagles last year. Maybe it gets blocked and returned for a score ? Low percentage those things happen ? Sure but things to consider when you make a decision on the most important snap of the season.

Similarly, how do you come up with 65% on sneaks ? Have you seen Bradys percentages ?

Now I agree that you should kick the FG but saying you shouldnt even go through your options is pretty weird for a BB coached team. Stuff like this -- avoiding knee jerk reactions -- is one of the reasons why BB is a better coach than many others.

Last edited:
Maybe Gost is starting to feel it and this is his way of sending a message. Deal with me or I'm gone.

If he doesn't sign with the Patriots by the draft, they will draft somebody.

The lack of a deadline or some other kind of pressure will result in a lack of action. It really makes no difference whatsoever when the Pats sign him (or another kicker) as long as it is before camp starts.

This is now a play by Ghosts agent to put some movement into the entire thing. At the same time the 49ers are putting some pressure on Gould to sign the franchise tag. Posturing.

I bet if he doesn't sign by the draft, the Patriots draft somebody in the middle rounds.

No real reason for Gost to have any urgency IMO, there will always be a shortage of good kickers in the league, so if you're a good kicker and a FA you can pretty much wait as long as you want. The only think that *might* negatively impact his market is if a bunch of teams draft kickers that they feel good about, but even then the draft might not hurt his stock at all since that's just one of a range of possibilities that could happen.

For the Pats, I'd bet that there's one or two kickers in the draft that they like, and they'd rather pull the trigger on one of those guys than overpay, so the ball's pretty much out of their court most likely.

Maybe. But that's a far cry from "almost certainly gone." I don't think anyone outside of the Patriots organization has any idea where negotiations are between Gost and the team.

Of course, that’s why in my description I used words like “almost” this is a word used in English which indicates that you are not certain. Saying he’s defenitely gone, would be a declaration of knowledge. Saying almost is indicative of ambiguity and uncertainty. So your argument is kinda lost right there.

I bet if he doesn't sign by the draft, the Patriots draft somebody in the middle rounds.

Wanted to respond to your disagree but am not really sure what it is you were disagreeing with.

Any truth to the rumor Cody Parkey is trying out?

Wanted to respond to your disagree but am not really sure what it is you were disagreeing with.

He doesn't have until camp. He has until the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST