PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never stated that Sanu did not primarily play slot or that his success in Atlanta came from another position. Atlanta moved Sanu to the slot after he was traded from Cincinnati - reference the link that I posted. On the Bengals, Sanu played outside filling in for Marvin Jones when he was injured.

Cleveland, Atlanta and the New York Giants are among the teams expected to express interest in signing Sanu, who has spent all four of his NFL seasons with the Bengals after being a 2012 third-round pick out of Rutgers. Sanu posted modest receiving totals last season with 33 catches for 394 yards as his role in the offense diminished with the return of wide receiver Marvin Jones and tight end Tyler Eifert from injuries that sidelined them in 2014.

Sanu has experience playing outside. The Pats will interchange Sanu and Edelman inside and out and be creative like always.

I dont think any less of you falsely claiming that Harry is the only WR on the Pats that supposedly gets deep. Dorsett is a deep threat WR because he has speed. Brady just threw Dorsett a deep TD pass vs the Jets and also last AFCC vs the Chiefs. Gordon was slow as molasses. Harry is no speed demon himself. NFL Draft & Combine Profile - N'Keal Harry | NFL.com

The acquisition of Sanu allowed Gordon to be shown the door. Gordon was the #2 WR in terms of targets and Sanu replaces Gordon as the # 2 now. Gordon was gone regardless of Harry. You can call it an even swap but I dont. Nobody is certain what Harry will do, but we know what Gordon did and we know what Sanu can do.

Sanu replaced Gordon.

Yes he's replacing his targets. Matter of fact, Sanu is such a big upgrade over Gordon, I expect him to get MORE targets than Gordon.
That's the only thing you're right about.
They play very different wr positions.
Harry will play very similar to Gordon.
Speed is not a requirement to be an intermediate deep threat outside the #'s.
Dorsett can't do that consistently. He's always had trouble beating pressman at the Los. He has trouble getting separation. He's not big enough to outfight physical cbs for contested balls.
Doesn't get much yac as well. But what he does he does pretty well.
Man I could go on and on. I'm getting a headache.
You don't have much understanding of the wr position,hoss.
It's ok, you're probably good at something.
I'm done

Yes he's replacing his targets. Matter of fact, Sanu is such a big upgrade over Gordon, I expect him to get MORE targets than Gordon.
That's the only thing you're right about.
They play very different wr positions.
Harry will play very similar to Gordon.
Speed is not a requirement to be an intermediate deep threat outside the #'s.
Dorsett can't do that consistently. He's always had trouble beating pressman at the Los. He has trouble getting separation. He's not big enough to outfight physical cbs for contested balls.
Doesn't get much yac as well. But what he does he does pretty well.
Man I could go on and on. I'm getting a headache.
You don't have much understanding of the wr position,hoss.
It's ok, you're probably good at something.
I'm done

I never stated that Sanu played Gordons position.

You said Harry was only guy who could go deep like Gordons. Youre wrong. Dorsett is a deep threat. I already know that Harry is supposed to be strong going up for contested catches. I not stating that Dorsett is the same as Harry. Everything must be spelled out for you.

BB dumped an under performing stock in Gordon after he acquired a performing stock in Sanu. Now BB has 2 known producing commodities in Sanu and Edelman whereas he only had 1 with Gordon and Edelman. Harry is unknown. I cant explain it any other way. Good luck to you.

He lost a lot of speed and needed help to get open. Which doomed a lot of our drives This year. It’s hard to imagine Letting go of a player that recorded 200yd receiving games, but he just is not that player anymore.

Yup and now the Pats face some post season completion.

KC,Dallas, Baltimore, Houston, maybe Filthadelphia
Yes. And I think we beat almost all of those. And I also believe we lose one. And, finally, I believe we lose one regardless of those other players being « still here or not ».
It happens.

0 now.

Maybe more by February.
Maybe. Or maybe we go 14-2 even WITH those guys.
There are always crazy losses. But for now : 7-0. And I’d favour them in all of the remaining games.

Maybe. Or maybe we go 14-2 even WITH those guys.
There are always crazy losses. But for now : 7-0. And I’d favour them in all of the remaining games.
Pats are weak at TE. That and their great record can coexist.

What is this “minor” IR I’ve never heard of before?!?

Injured Reserve (IR)
NFL teams are permitted to place any number of players on Injured Reserve.

• Any player placed on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the roster limit.
  • For most players on IR, they are ineligible to play again for the same team during the current season, but they can be cut and sign with another team.
  • While on IR, players may not practice with their team at any time, but can attend team meetings and be around the team.
  • Starting in 2017, two NFL players from each team are eligible to come off IR after eight weeks of being on the list. While, under 2016 rules, only one player could return, and it was necessary to designate that player at the time he was placed on IR, under the current NFL rules, player who return to the active roster do not have to be designated in advance. This means that any player who goes onto IR in the first half of the season has the possibility of being activated during the latter half of the regular season. Teams can decide about each player on IR as he reaches his 8-week window, as long as the team hasn’t already returned two players to the active roster.
  • One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible, and is out for the season.

NFL bylaws:

Minor Injuries. If a club places a player with a minor injury onto Reserve/Injured, such player must be placed on no-recall waivers
as soon as, in the judgment of the club, he is physically able to play football. Such players may not be reacquired by the club for the
remainder of the season, including the postseason. This definition of a minor injury shall be applicable throughout the remainder of the season, including postseason, even if less than six weeks remain in a club’s season. If, despite the original classification of
minor injury, the player’s recovery time continues into the following year, the waiver request must be before April 15.

Injury Definition. For purposes only of administering the
procedures of Reserve/Injured, a minor injury is one which renders
a player physically unable to play football for any period less than
six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury. Conversely, a
major injury is one which renders a player physically unable to
play football for a minimum of six weeks (42 calendar days) from
the date of injury

Also of note, since it's possible a settlement will be involved

Settlements. Any financial settlement agreed to between a club and player concerning an injury shall cover a fixed period of time and shall be reported in detail to the League office. Such player then shall be carried on the club’s Reserve/Injured list for the specified period covered by the settlement. Such listing must be for procedural purposes only, and the player must not practice with or be affiliated with the club in any way other than normal
rehabilitation treatment. At the end of such specified period, the player must be placed on waivers. Clubs also have the option of immediately requesting waivers on a
player with whom they have negotiated a financial settlement. Any such waiver request shall carry the notation “Injury Settlement,”
and any such financial settlement must be reported in detail to the League office and must specify that the agreement does not obviate
the League’s waiver system. Players with whom a club has reached an injury settlement and for whom it has requested waivers (or
terminated without waivers if the player had four or more pension-credited seasons) may not be reacquired by that club during the
same season until a period of time has elapsed since the date of termination that is six regular or postseason games longer than the
number of regular season games represented by the settlement (a bye week counts as a game). The above procedure shall also be
applicable to a player who has been placed on Reserve/Injured or for whom a club has requested waivers with the designation
“injured,” provided that no later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the fifth business day after the date that the player was placed
on Reserve/Injured or that waivers were requested, whichever occurs first, the club (1) executes and files an Injury Settlement
with the league office, and (2) requests waivers for the player with the designation “Injury Settlement” (or terminates him without
waivers if the player has four or more pension-credited seasons)

Basically in theory if you want to IR a guy with an injury that's expected to keep someone out for 6 or fewer weeks, you have to put them on waivers. In reality this only applies if the team wants it to (which is rare, since teams rarely have a reason to want to lose a player) and if the player wants it to (by threatening an injury grievance than necessitates a settlement).

I think Belichick cut Gordon to stir up controversy, in order to distract those who were complaining about AB being cut.

Gordon being put on IR (minor) is a normal step if the team is willing to waive the player after he regains health.

Gordon will be waived off IR in a couple of weeks, after the trade deadline (when he is healthy) and will be subject to waivers, thus keeping him away from contending teams.

Gordon being put on IR (minor) is a normal step if the team is willing to waive the player after he regains health.

Gordon will be waived off IR in a couple of weeks, after the trade deadline (when he is healthy) and will be subject to waivers, thus keeping him away from contending teams.

so, essentially he has been traded to the jesters for nothing.

so, essentially he has been traded to the jesters for nothing.
Just a small clearing of his cap space, along with saving a roster spot.

Confused about why they are doing this rather than trade him

Pats are weak at TE. That and their great record can coexist.

Agreed. The Patriots can win most or all of the remaining games to win the SB while being weak at TE. However, the continuing victory potential is a bit more tenuous with weak TEs. But if Watson can just be middle of the road (which is definitely possible)? That's a dramatic improvement over the current status and gives us an added punch that, IMHO, is a fairly big deal for the offense.

The entire offense has underwhelmed, so you’re not really proving a thing.

At the end of the day, you can’t justify keeping JAG Tomlinson on the roster over Josh Gordon. It’s not humanly possible to make that argument.

We have an open roster spot.

So what exactly was the point in IRing him if you’re just rolling with 52 guys?

By the time next week someone is signed, Gordon is probably near a return.

It doesn’t make much sense to rashly IR him when your going into a week down a player anyway.

Now tell me how IRing him when there’s an open roster spot makes a lick of sense, especially when he could return in a week or so.

It doesn't make a lick of sense, which is why there has to be more to this that you do not know.

They told Tomlinson he was cut, practiced, and then cut Gordon. Then they traded Bennett within 24 hours and are going with 52.

The AB situation was different because the owner got involved.

There is something in play that is staying in house.

Added: Reiss said today it was as an overall decline in dependability. What do you think that means?

It doesn't make a lick of sense, which is why there has to be more to this that you do not know.

They told Tomlinson he was cut, practiced, and then cut Gordon. Then they traded Bennett within 24 hours and are going with 52.

The AB situation was different because the owner got involved.

There is something in play that is staying in house.

Added: Reiss said today it was as an overall decline in dependability. What do you think that means?
Theory:

Tomlinson was told he'd be cut- but to also stay close. I'm assuming the NEP had plans to do something with Josh eventually.

Josh showed up tardy on Thurs. That was the last straw.

Sanu showed the staff he can handle the game plan.

The NEP course corrected.

My guess is they intended to play Josh today and they intended to replace him with Harry next week, perhaps trying harder to trade him, perhaps just cutting him. Needing the slot, or the warm body, they cut Tomlinson but said stay close. Josh came in Thursday and said I can't go this week and the doc says maybe not next week either. At this point the Pats put him on ir to release him, and kept Tomlinson.

Theory:

Tomlinson was told he'd be cut- but to also stay close. I'm assuming the NEP had plans to do something with Josh eventually.

Josh showed up tardy on Thurs. That was the last straw.

Sanu showed the staff he can handle the game plan.

The NEP course corrected.

You could add Harry looked better than Gordon has looked in practice all season, not just now.

Tomlinson is holding down the forte, until LaCosse, and Izzo come back. Bill certainly doesn't want to go into the game with one TE and no FB.

Bill is trimming the fat.

Don't be mad because the team is so good that this years fat are talents like Gordon and Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe