PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell to fine Jerry Jones millions for blocking his new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is not a punishment, really. Good thing Goodell's Article 46 comes in handy for him to essentially lie, cheat and steal.

Jones will make up that money in one preseason game in August.

I hate Jones like the next guy, but Jones has every right in the world to question the scumbag's future salary.

Without question, this is a mess the owners have enabled themselves.

Gee, I wonder why rating$ are dropping now?

Stupid, and begging for a lawsuit in response

You have some law experience, right? Could you shed some light on what kind of lawsuit Jones could levy? It seems that "conduct detrimental" gives Goodell an enormous amount of leeway, as seen in the Brady case. I'm not a lawyer, however, so my understanding of the matter is admittedly incomplete. Player rights vs franchise rights are probably quite different, I imagine. Curious about your input.

You have some law experience, right? Could you shed some light on what kind of lawsuit Jones could levy? It seems that "conduct detrimental" gives Goodell an enormous amount of leeway, as seen in the Brady case. I'm not a lawyer, however, so my understanding of the matter is admittedly incomplete. Player rights vs franchise rights are probably quite different, I imagine. Curious about your input.

I am not a lawyer, but since Goodell won the Brady Appeal Case, federal judges agree with Goodell that Article 46 gives him the right to literally do anything he wants, including to lie, cheat or steal.

It was a monumental case for this very reason. All the trolls and loser NFL fans stilll wanting Brady suspended, even though it was proven in court this was a framejob, can also be blamed for this because these owners are doing what their own fans want.

This bastardization of "Article 46" obviously has created this monster and slippery slope, so Jones has no chance of winning anything in court due to that critical ruling.

IMO, it's clear Goodell paid off Judge Chin in particular, to make sure they won that appeal.

Highly comical to me that Jones was likely an outlier owner outside of the usual suspects (Johnson, Rooney, Mara, Irsay, Bisciotti, etc), but with alot of power to wield, encourgaing them to go after Brady, due his own jealousy of Kraft and the idea that if his team was in the SB, maybe it wouldn't be against the Pats, for a better chance at winning.

It's basically a version of "owner cheating" right in front of the NFL customer.

This kind of behavior will eventually destroy the league as we know it.

Goodell can stand on a podium, tell bald face lies to the media regarding tb12 and deflategate and get off scottfree... and he thinks he can judge someone else? Jones should get a freakin medal for trying to oust commissioner ginger

Stupid, and begging for a lawsuit in response

No one can win. Goodell's lawyers will cite Article 46 and the judge would have to respect the circuit court's 2016 decision.

This is essentially why Kraft couldn't do anything. Brady could have sued, but not Kraft.

Imagine being the judge ruling on whether Goodell can call someone's reticence about giving him $40m a year "conduct detrimental". The obvious baseline is to rule against Goodell immediately, and laugh while doing it, and you work backwards from there based upon further information.

Goodell can stand on a podium, tell bald face lies to the media regarding tb12 and deflategate and get off scottfree... and he thinks he can judge someone else? Jones should get a freakin medal for trying to oust commissioner ginger

I agree, but I still think Jones is a slimeball.

I'm not a big fan of Jerry Jones.....but is there a bigger scumbag than Roger Goodell? You got your big fat contract Roger.....now STFU!

I think your avatar might give Goodell a run for his money.... ;)

Goodell can stand on a podium, tell bald face lies to the media regarding tb12 and deflategate and get off scottfree... and he thinks he can judge someone else?

Yes. Welcome to contract and labor law!

Imagine being the judge ruling on whether Goodell can call someone's reticence about giving him $40m a year "conduct detrimental". The obvious baseline is to rule against Goodell immediately, and laugh while doing it, and you work backwards from there based upon further information.

Fair enough. If Goodell pointed out that Jones tried to circumvent the suspension process, and also sue his colleagues, you don't think that holds any weight? I really don't have much experience with this kind of thing.

It seems like the league is run by whatever group of owners has Goodell's ear at any particular point:

"We're mad at the Patriots we want to you to do this"
"We're mad at the Saints, we want you to do that"
"We want these teams to move to that city"
"We're mad at the Patriots again"
"We're mad at Jerry Jones now, make him pay"

The more time goes on, the more impressed I am with Rozelle and Tagliabue. I'm sure they heard the same kind of complaints and were asked to do similar things, but they had enough sense to see the damage that would do and enough of a backbone to say "No" on occasion.

Is Jones bound to the league by the CBA? Owners as individuals seem like a 3rd party to that agreement. I wonder if there is a separate agreement in place that gives the Commissioner authority to do stuff to the other owners.

"So, Mr. Owner, you don't like me and tried to block my contract extension. So, eff you, here's a hefty fine. Next time, when I say I want 2 billion dollars, you'll pay it and shut up. Even though, technically, I work for you."

This is mind blowing/numbing to me. To me, I read this as the owners have no choice but to approve anything this guy says or does, because he can fine them whenever or how much he see fit.

Nice to see someone get eff'd besides Brady/Belichick/Kraft. Maybe now the rest of the owners will find a way to reel in this guy's absolute power. They created this monster. Good luck boys.

absolute-power-corrupts-absolutely-powerly-corruptsly-1779634.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference