Goodell cannot be the arbitrator since he will be a witness in appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewskies

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to BR, Goodell can't be arbitrator

Brady's legal team plan to call Goodell as a witness therefore he can't do the arbitration. Great if true.

Putting aside literally everything regarding the Patriots, it is absolutely insane that the authority who levied the punishment is the same authority that listens to the appeals on said punishment. How in gods name did that ever happen? The NFLPA needs to use this event as its opportunity to change that.

Putting aside literally everything regarding the Patriots, it is absolutely insane that the authority who levied the punishment is the same authority that listens to the appeals on said punishment. How in gods name did that ever happen? The NFLPA needs to use this event as its opportunity to change that.

You commented on a Pats Pulpit article yesterday that showed video where Revis had just let up the TD to Jordy Nelson, which helped to put JM's comments to JJ into its real context.

Where did you find that, and why isn't this getting more attention? It provides food for thought for the "deflate this jkt" text message. I'm surprised that more people aren't bringing this to the public's attention.

I didn't find it. Someone posted it in the thread about the Pats refuting the Wells Report and I commented in the thread. I've never even been on Pats Pulpit in my life.

I didn't find it. Someone posted it in the thread about the Pats refuting the Wells Report and I commented in the thread. I've never even been on Pats Pulpit in my life.

Either way, could you please re-post the link so that it can make its way around here?

It certainly deserves to be seen by the public, and I don't believe that too many people saw it yesterday evening.

EDIT: or just tell me where to find it. I don't remember where you were discussing it yesterday.

Well, in an ideal world, the commissioner wouldn't be running stings and attacking an organization, coming up with ad hoc penalties that increase exponentially. The CBA looks pretty bad in hindsight, but who could have predicted this Goodell situation? You could have neutral arbitrators who have no football understanding giving out harsher and more illogical penalties than a commissioner with integrity, but that's obviously not what we have going on here.

Didn't Troy Vincient levy the fines?

Didn't Troy Vincient levy the fines?

Yes, but according to the appeal letter (worth a read) only Goodell can levy fines. The letter basically says "Look, Troy, we don't know who you are, but we do know that only Goodell can deliver punishment"

Brady's legal team plan to call Goodell as a witness therefore he can't do the arbitration. Great if true.

We've known this for 3 days now...this isn't new.

Last edited:
The general standard for "Conflict of Interest" is an "Appearance of Impropriety", never has this been as evident in this case..

No idea of what will actually happen, is that when they convene this arbitration the NFLPA and Brady's contingent will list their witness list and Goodell will have to recuse himself. Either that or it will proceed and some Court will decide that it is improper..

Either way, whether it is in the CBA or not, will not make much difference.. you have to afford Brady "due process"..

If Goodell is smart he will go independent, but have come to realize he is not all that smart..

There is no chance that Goodell didn't give it his nod of approval. Hopefully he put it in writing somewhere.
And then deleted it not realizing it can be recovered.....I can wish , can;t I..Considering how he has run this charade, it "more likely than not" to borrow from Wells.....

The general standard for "Conflict of Interest" is an "Appearance of Impropriety", never has this been as evident in this case..

No idea of what will actually happen, is that when they convene this arbitration the NFLPA and Brady's contingent will list their witness list and Goodell will have to recuse himself. Either that or it will proceed and some Court will decide that it is improper..

Either way, whether it is in the CBA or not, will not make much difference.. you have to afford Brady "due process"..

If Goodell is smart he will go independent, but have come to realize he is not all that smart..

It's a pissing contest- Goodell is determined to show who's the boss by having Vincent administer punishment so he could appoint himself arbitrator (he knew the punishment would be appealed).

If he recuses himself, that's folding, big time. The request that Goodell be called as witness is a good tactical move and one that will force Goodell's hand. It'll be interesting to see how he responds.

It is obvious to anyone except the NFL that the appeal process is a charade. The commissioner
has already broken the CBA rule by deligating the punishment to Troy Vincent. The outcome of
the appeal is a mere formality. I'd like to see the NFLPA come to the appeal with a Federal Court
order requiring the appointment of a neutral arbitrator both sides agree on. Otherwise, the appeal
with Goodell as arbitrator is a waste of time and delays the inevitable appeal to Federal Court.

Question:

If Brady winds up suing can he still play?

I think that Goodell purposely drug the investigation and dog and pony show into May so Brady would have no time to sue before the 15 seasons starts if it gets to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back