PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to a Patriots game @ Gillette for the 1st time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arialgg

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Going to a Patriots game @ Gillette for the 1st time...

I’m will be in Boston over Sept 22nd, and am planning on going to the Jets & Patriots game... I am a NFL live game virgin.

You pros that have tips or wisdom to impart, I’m all ears.

Here are some of my most pertinent questions/concerns:

•Is there certain sites that have better ticket prices than others? They’ve all seemed pretty comparable so far-

•I’m planning on sitting on the Patriots lower sideline, paying $530-$600 per ticket (section 108 or 114 is what I’m deciding between right now)- but every site hits me with extra $130+ fees at checkout...is this ever avoidable?

•We will be staying in downtown Boston- uber-ing & walking everywhere... so for the 25+ miles to Gillette, is the train an Ok idea? Uber?We don’t mind a long ride or leaving early- I’d like some time to see Patriot place before the game.

Any input is appreciated- ( :

Have a blast.... I went for the first time a few years ago and want a great time. I partied in the rain with people i didn't know who welcomed us with open arms and showered us with great food and booze... Game was great we blew out the Texans it was a Monday night game 42-14 was the final. Get there early lots to do around the Stadium... Pats pro shops and the hall of fame are fun.. Great experience for me and my friends. Also caught a Celtics game. Bruins were out of town...

If you want to get there early DO NOT take the train. It gets there shortly before kickoff and leaves shortly afterwards.

You might consider staying in a hotel down there Sat night so you can easily be at the stadium complex nice and early on Sunday, see the Hall, etc.

When I went I got the 'Bowl Bus' at South Station....best day imaginable (bar Gronk getting his knee smashed by the flying projectile known as T.J Ward)

If you want to get there early DO NOT take the train. It gets there shortly before kickoff and leaves shortly afterwards.

You might consider staying in a hotel down there Sat night so you can easily be at the stadium complex nice and early on Sunday, see the Hall, etc.

Always best to check The Hall's site if you are planning a game day visit. It is usually closed for some or all of the day for private events on game day.

As mentioned earlier, the train gets to the stadium shortly before game time with just enough time to get through the gate and find your seat. So by all means get an Uber and arrive early enough to tour Patriot Place and partake of the pregame tailgate parties. An abundance of great fans always willing to welcome a 'virgin'.

But as for your return to Boston, I would nix the idea of Uber. Traffic wise getting out of Gillette is hellish. Instead just follow the crowd walking toward and under the tunnel to the train departures. One train goes to Boston, the other goes to Providence. Be sure to get on the right train. You can pay the conductor on board for your ticket.

Also as a newbie, you may want to review what you are allowed and not allowed to carry into the stadium. Security is not as difficult as that at the airports, but they will disallow you from having certain items in your possession.

This thread and all "first time to Gillette" new threads have got to be combined and made a sticky.

This thread and all "first time to Gillette" new threads have got to be combined and made a sticky.

Maybe it would be useful to combine all the info, but I don't see a problem with the existence itself of these threads. Going to Gillette doesn't get to be a normal, boring experience for everyone.

Also as a newbie, you may want to review what you are allowed and not allowed to carry into the stadium. Security is not as difficult as that at the airports, but they will disallow you from having certain items in your possession.
My brother is a part of the security team of a NFL stadium, so I am well versed in that one area!

Maybe it would be useful to combine all the info, but I don't see a problem with the existence itself of these threads. Going to Gillette doesn't get to be a normal, boring experience for everyone.
Maybe combine all threads into one really big thread...

I’m will be in Boston over Sept 22nd, and am planning on going to the Jets & Patriots game... I am a NFL live game virgin.

•Is there certain sites that have better ticket prices than others? They’ve all seemed pretty comparable so far-

•I’m planning on sitting on the Patriots lower sideline, paying $530-$600 per ticket (section 108 or 114 is what I’m deciding between right now)- but every site hits me with extra $130+ fees at checkout...is this ever avoidable?

•We will be staying in downtown Boston- uber-ing & walking everywhere... so for the 25+ miles to Gillette, is the train an Ok idea? Uber?We don’t mind a long ride or leaving early- I’d like some time to see Patriot place before the game.

Those ticket prices are outrageous, I assume you're looking at NFL Ticket Exchange? You might want to also check eBay. My season tickets are at mezzanine level, you might want to consider that option vs. lower bowl -- a good view of the entire field. Also, I'd avoid the Patriots sideline because the sun will be in your eyes all afternoon and if it's a hot day you'll also bake. If you're insisting on sideline/lower-bowl seats, go for the other side of the stadium, you'll be much more comfortable. Plan to arrive at least two hours early, do not take the train. If you are driving, park in a private lot about a mile north (or south) of the stadium, you'll get out quicker afterward. You also can tailgate, in which case you'd want to arrive at least three hours before the game. Otherwise, you can hang out at a Patriots Place establishment (lots of bars/restaurants) but again, you'll need to arrive two or three hours before kickoff to be seated somewhere. Finally, plan to be in your seat in the stadium at least a half hour before kickoff, earlier if you want to watch warmups and wander around inside a bit. Lines getting in can be long and take a long time because of security, so I'd get in line no later than 45-50 minutes before kickoff.

TickPick has tickets without additional fees, so the price listed is what you pay.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. There has been some great advice given about this topic over the years. Mostly by me.

As mentioned earlier, the train gets to the stadium shortly before game time with just enough time to get through the gate and find your seat. So by all means get an Uber and arrive early enough to tour Patriot Place and partake of the pregame tailgate parties. An abundance of great fans always willing to welcome a 'virgin'.

But as for your return to Boston, I would nix the idea of Uber. Traffic wise getting out of Gillette is hellish. Instead just follow the crowd walking toward and under the tunnel to the train departures. One train goes to Boston, the other goes to Providence. Be sure to get on the right train. You can pay the conductor on board for your ticket.
When I used to take the train you didn't need a ticket for the return to BOS/PVD. I guess they assume(d) that if you're taking the train there you're taking it back for the "to" trip includes both prices.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. There has been some great advice given about this topic over the years. Mostly by me.
Yes, you regulars should just copy n paste your answers.

I park a mile down on RT 1 (Coming from 495) and the 30 min walk is well worth it as traffic flows out and we never sit in the lot more than 20 min until we hit RT 1.

If you want to go to Patriots Place before...I would get there 2 or closer to 3 hours early. Traffic ect is tough especially with only 1 road in and out of the stadium.

When I used to take the train you didn't need a ticket for the return to BOS/PVD. I guess they assume(d) that if you're taking the train there you're taking it back for the "to" trip includes both prices.
This is correct (and finally I understand why, when I took the train once, the way back seemed way more crowded than the way there). They don't check tickets on the way back. I had someone who rode to the game with me and took the train back to Boston last year, no ticket proof required.

That said, don't take the train TO the game if you want to see Gillette, Patriots Place and/or the Pro Shop and the Hall beforehand. It only gets there minutes before the game (the one time I took it I was actually late for kickoff), and you will be stuck in a huge line getting into the stadium. Ubering to the game early, then taking the train back to Boston might be a good idea, but keep in mind the train leaves 30 minutes after the game ends, so you have to get out of the stadium and onto the train quickly, and will have no time to look around then. Ubers after the game can be a problem as they are not allowed to get too close to the stadium and the traffic getting out is hell. I suppose you could reverse things and take the train to the game, go to Patriots Place afterwards and then Uber when the traffic dies down some. I do this sometimes when I drive to the game and am parked in a lot (grab a meal after the game at Patriots Place) so I am not fuming in my car for an hour going nowhere.

On what you are allowed to bring into the game, it's us ladies that usually have problems. They only allow you to bring in a clear plastic bag of a certain size (check that it's the correct size, because they measure - I think the Pats sell them), or a very small purse (smaller than what you think would be acceptable) and I have seen many angry ladies turned around at the gate to make the long walk back to the car with their clutch purse that didn't make the cut. My advice (if you are a lady or are going with one to the game) - don't bring a purse at all. Do like I do and wear a jacket with big, zippered pockets and stuff your phone, some cash, your id and one credit card in your pockets. The rest stays at home or in the car.

Most of all - have fun!! The hassle of getting to, into, and out of Gillette will be outweighed by your excitement of finally being there! The crowd energy is incredible (despite what the TV police say), and the feeling when the Pats run out onto the field!! Man!! I can't describe it. Still gets me every time!

Maybe combine all threads into one really big thread...

All you had to do was add something about Butler (or get Andy involved) and this one would become a really big thread all on its own ;)

Those ticket prices are outrageous, I assume you're looking at NFL Ticket Exchange? You might want to also check eBay. My season tickets are at mezzanine level, you might want to consider that option vs. lower bowl -- a good view of the entire field. Also, I'd avoid the Patriots sideline because the sun will be in your eyes all afternoon and if it's a hot day you'll also bake. If you're insisting on sideline/lower-bowl seats, go for the other side of the stadium, you'll be much more comfortable. Plan to arrive at least two hours early, do not take the train. If you are driving, park in a private lot about a mile north (or south) of the stadium, you'll get out quicker afterward. You also can tailgate, in which case you'd want to arrive at least three hours before the game. Otherwise, you can hang out at a Patriots Place establishment (lots of bars/restaurants) but again, you'll need to arrive two or three hours before kickoff to be seated somewhere. Finally, plan to be in your seat in the stadium at least a half hour before kickoff, earlier if you want to watch warmups and wander around inside a bit. Lines getting in can be long and take a long time because of security, so I'd get in line no later than 45-50 minutes before kickoff.
As to the prices being outrageous..Oy. I was looking on Stubhub, Vividseats, scorebig, Seatgeek & TickPick, to name a few...o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes