PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glad traffic is still strong here... we're Pats fans, dang it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the days when I would get excited to have 2-3 people on my cheesy "Ian's Patriots Homepage" back in 1997. Never imagined back then that I'd be sitting here 20+ years later chatting with all of you after witnessing 6 championships, 9 Super Bowl appearances, and having enjoyed all of it with some of the coolest people I've ever met. I don't think we'll be as lucky for the next 20, but it'll definitely be fun to see how it goes ;)
You are like a trumpet in God's hands!

Did they say how they did during Matthew? I ask because there was a nor’easter that blew down for 3 straight days before the hurricane was even off the coast. All of downtown and Riverside were under water. I live 3 blocks from the beach in South Jax Beach and we flooded badly, too. Thank God I didn’t live right on the beach.
Matthew brings back memories. I grew up on the Cape and lived through many hurricanes there. Back in 98, we moved to Southwest Florida and lived there for 10 years and survived Hurricanes Wilma, Charlie and a few others. In 2008 we decided to move to NC 120 miles inland and thought we might avoid Hurricanes here. Nope. The week before Matthew came, we got 10 inches of rain. When Matthew hit we had another 15 inches of rain and my house which was built on clay, got flooded and I lost my entire heating and air conditioning system. Matthew was supposed to be a 500 year storm here except 3 years later we got hit with Hurricane Florence which dumped 22 Inches of rain on us. So obviously moving 120 miles inland did not work. :)

BTW, this is my first post on this forum. I've been a Pat's fan for 50 Years and remember the hard times but have thouroughly enjoyed the past 20 years of greatness. I have to chuckle while remembering when I called the Patriots back in the early 70's looking to be put on a waiting list to buy season tickets and the lady said "You're next, how many seats would you like to purchase"? If I remember correctly the price was about $20 per game and it only cost $5.00 to park in the dust bowl surrounding Shaeffer Stadium.

I'm hoping for a better season next year but no matter what, no one can ever take away the Patriots great success of the past 20 years.

depending on your political bent, I'm one of the best ones in that, too...........at least I am willing to admit that at one point, I was wrong

That is why you are not one of the best. Sorry to burst your bubble. Really mean it. The fact you state it means there is a bubble. If there is a bubble than your emotions cloud your thinking. Very easy to see from the outside in your posts. But for a guy as intelligent as you, it is not concerning. It does not mean changing your political bent. Not trying to change your personality or politics. :)

Last edited:
Matthew brings back memories. I grew up on the Cape and lived through many hurricanes there. Back in 98, we moved to Southwest Florida and lived there for 10 years and survived Hurricanes Wilma, Charlie and a few others. In 2008 we decided to move to NC 120 miles inland and thought we might avoid Hurricanes here. Nope. The week before Matthew came, we got 10 inches of rain. When Matthew hit we had another 15 inches of rain and my house which was built on clay, got flooded and I lost my entire heating and air conditioning system. Matthew was supposed to be a 500 year storm here except 3 years later we got hit with Hurricane Florence which dumped 22 Inches of rain on us. So obviously moving 120 miles inland did not work. :)

BTW, this is my first post on this forum. I've been a Pat's fan for 50 Years and remember the hard times but have thouroughly enjoyed the past 20 years of greatness. I have to chuckle while remembering when I called the Patriots back in the early 70's looking to be put on a waiting list to buy season tickets and the lady said "You're next, how many seats would you like to purchase"? If I remember correctly the price was about $20 per game and it only cost $5.00 to park in the dust bowl surrounding Shaeffer Stadium.

I'm hoping for a better season next year but no matter what, no one can ever take away the Patriots great success of the past 20 years.
Wellcome and what a good start...awesome post

I definitely wonder what will happen in the coming years as the team evolves, when Belichick eventually retires, etc. This entire season has been interesting in terms of riding the highs and lows like we had in the early years where we didn't really know what was going to happen on any given Sunday. My era is really early to mid-90s, which was where I really started following with any regularity. Mostly the Bledsoe era, which was a roller-coaster at times up until they made it to the

The change over from Robert to Jonathan and from BB to ?? will both be such big things. Not that I've looked all that much, but I've not seen much speculation out there about whether Jonathan will be as effective an owner as Robert, and whether many of the details of that transition are in place yet.

The Kraft transition's timing will be all the more interesting with respect to how it aligns with Belichick's timeline. Could somehow end up with Belichick retired and Jonathan being the one making the call as to who comes next for both GM and HC.

I've enjoyed my time here as well and thank Ian, and all of you great members for it. I really enjoy football, but I'm not half as knowledgeable as even the average fan here, but I get a lot from surfing here. Not sure when I joined. Think it was before Mangini cried as I do recall the 2007 season threads. Could have been trolling although I seem to recall having to re-register at one time.

I've really enjoyed Jokers threads. Always good insight and a good chuckle too!

Losing hasn't really bothered me all that much honestly

Patriots still play every week and I hope I can see another championship in the next fifty years

A lot of fans like to say Pats fans are all band wagon fans. Not true. It's simply that they have been very successful overall for almost 30 years when they weren't before. The sport of football has grown massively since then for all the teams. Also Boston transitioned from Baseball to Football naturally like many fans did as TV improved. It wasn't like those fans watched the Red Sox cause they won all those championships back then ;)

While it's true being a winning team as opposed to a crap team helped to build the fanbase to some degree, that's true for any fan base. It's easier to capture kids if your team is competing for championships as opposed to sucking. But the fan base was going to grow anyway.

Completely agree here and these are exactly the things I was "looking forward to" when this day came. Now, maybe I'll only be 7 years from getting season tickets.

We've still got the bandwagon fans, but they'll walk after a couple years of being in the pack again.

I was hoping the Brady Fanboy Bandwagoner younger fans would follow Brady to Tampa permanently, but I guess I was wrong there. Many post here and clearly missed how BB came here and how he was the architect of their joy, as they creepily bash him at every turn, with cues from the anti-BB media.

It's probably the strangest phenomenon in Boston sports history.

When BB leaves, it all goes down the $hitter.

I've also read that Jonathan Kraft is a vindictive person with a long memory. Hope he gets a chance to burn Goodell.

Losing hasn't really bothered me all that much honestly

Patriots still play every week and I hope I can see another championship in the next fifty years

These young Pat fans flaunting their youth. "You old phuckers won't see another Patriot's Super Bowl but I will". Thanks a bunch.

I've also read that Jonathan Kraft is a vindictive person with a long memory. Hope he gets a chance to burn Goodell.

I have the same hopes and I agree. It's always been about BB. The greatest GM and Coach in sports history. But, good to hear about Jon Kraft. I wanted him to take over a few years back once I saw Bob wearing sneakers with his suits and trying to be friends with rappers. Haha

Seriously, Bob needs to go enjoy his retirement. Still not thrilled with the Framegate II capitulation or his poor taste in quality ladies you pay for. Who goes to a strip mall as a billionaire? How odd.

Unfortunately, I may have to agree. But we'll see.
Is this a reference to Patriot Reign? I think I remember something like one of Parcells' guys taking Jonathan's seat on the team bus.

When I get a chance I'll post a pic of my Patriots library, and double check if there are any more I want to add before I start reading. I've only done Patriot Reign, Darkness to Dynasty, and Tales from the Sideline so far. I was 6 when I became a Patriots fan during the Panthers super bowl (but weirdly don't actually remember them winning), so learning brand-new stuff about Patriots' history has been a blast.

Unfortunately, I may have to agree. But we'll see.

Is this a reference to Patriot Reign? I think I remember something like one of Parcells' guys taking Jonathan's seat on the team bus.

When I get a chance I'll post a pic of my Patriots library, and double check if there are any more I want to add before I start reading. I've only done Patriot Reign, Darkness to Dynasty, and Tales from the Sideline so far. I was 6 when I became a Patriots fan during the Panthers super bowl (but weirdly don't actually remember them winning), so learning brand-new stuff about Patriots' history has been a blast.
Triumph & tragedy from Larry Fox is a sublime book of the first period

Did they say how they did during Matthew? I ask because there was a nor’easter that blew down for 3 straight days before the hurricane was even off the coast. All of downtown and Riverside were under water. I live 3 blocks from the beach in South Jax Beach and we flooded badly, too. Thank God I didn’t live right on the beach.
There's one weather event that many here didn't experience, but it was and still is the mother of all weather events. The blizzard of '78. It was the perfect storm of perfect storms.

One of my first memories is of the family that moved in across the street from us just before the storm hit. They were a couple with two very young children and had come from San Diego. They were there for less than six months before they had to move to Dallas. Their timing was horrible.

I had to try and work in it and I have so many incredible memories that I wish the smart phone had been invented so I could share them.

I remember sitting in a truck in the Beachmont section of Revere MA watching waves crash over the sea wall sending water flowing down the street in front of us. There was a small driveway carved out of the side of a hill with two cars that backed out of the driveway in unison as if being driven. They both backed out, turned heading away from the coast and went down the street out of sight.

We then got stuck as we tried to get into Winthrop from Short Beach and when help arrived they snapped a chain trying to get us out and didn't want to get stuck themselves, so they left. As we sat there wondering what to do, a woman offered us shelter in a home across the street and we got some sleep in the living room while her and her two daughters slept in their rooms. I doubt that would happen in this day and age.

We had one engineer who lived a few cities over from the office and used snow shoes to walk to work. His reward a few years later was to be dumped in a cost cutting move.

When I finally got a chance to return home a couple of days later, after sleeping in the plant and trying to get more work done, I drove up my dead-end street at 3AM and saw that it was one car wide and there was a 10 foot high bank of snow left by the plows and I had to clear that to get into my driveway. I started to cry. That was when I heard the sound of my neighbors bulldozer and saw it heading my way. Ten minutes later I was in my bed. God bless you Roger and RIP.

Once the snow stopped it was back to work time but there was a ban on driving. The main street that our street was off of was like a mall with hundreds of people walking along. My wife and I had just bought a ****er Spaniel puppy and he was a hit with all of the people we saw on our walks.

Luckily, I was considered a vital worker and could drive the short ride to work, but I was stopped by the police constantly and had to explain why I had some of the office workers with me.

I'm sorry about the length of this post, but all this talk of weather brought me back to that incredible time in my life. It was surreal.

I'm torn at this point... between wanting the team to go for it as long as they're in playoff contention (insert laughter here ;) ), or just ripping the bandaid off and evaluating talent for next year.

I'll let Bill know what I decide. :haha:
Let me know if you want me to talk to him for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes