PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore vs Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of hard to say. I'm leaning towards Gilmore because he is playing in a much more difficult era for CBs. In addition, I've seen a few comments talking about INTs. I don't necessarily agree since CBs these days also don't get a lot of INTs to begin with. Look at the best CBs from this era. Guys like Sherman, Revis, Talib all have less than 40 INTs (Talib is leading all active CBs with 35 INTs). Gilmore has 19, so he is on pace to reach somewhere in between Talib and Revis. I'm not really sure why INTs have been decreasing these years but I don't think a lack of INTs should dock any points from Gilmore.
INTs are decreasing because QBs (a) are more accurate (look at the increases in completion percentage) and (b) are more willing to throw it away than force it in. The rules changes also make it easier for receivers to get open in the first place.

INTs are decreasing because QBs (a) are more accurate (look at the increases in completion percentage) and (b) are more willing to throw it away than force it in. The rules changes also make it easier for receivers to get open in the first place.

I can't help but feel (a) & (b) are largely a product of those rule changes.

I don't disagree with your opinion on the importance of causing turnovers, but do you think Revis and Sherman are not going to be HOFers since they don't have 40 INTs? Sherman might make it to 40 if he plays for another five years but Revis only has 29 INTs. Sure, they got injured in the middle of their career, so do you think these guys are more similar to Calvin Johnson whose career peak is excellent but doesn't have the longevity to make it to the HOF?
It’s interesting, the rule changes in 2004 definitely made it harder on the corners, but remember, Law actually had 10 picks in 1 season for the Jets after the new rules were implemented and a 4 pick season for the Chiefs near the end of his career. I think Law was more of a game changer than Gilmore.

The Hall will likely have to lower the INT standard for corners going forward. The majority of corners in the Hall have over 50 career INTs. Those numbers just won’t happen anymore. I think Revis is an odd case. Definitely a HOF talent but without the numbers or longevity. I think he gets in but maybe not 1st ballet. Probably same with Sherman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST