PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

Pt06Zpg.gif

TmxtBlQ.gif

Just curious. Wouldn't the pats have got more if they just let him walk? Comp pick next year?

And yeah, apparently the Brady reunion did jack sh*t for the morale on this forum.

The regular crowd is just as negative and toxic as they’ve ever been.

New norm, I guess.
Wynn and Owenu on covid list
Brown and Mason no shows at practice
Gilly traded for a bag of peanuts.

Where's the party at?

I see it as the opposite in market dynamics. His trade value went up as it had no where else to go but.

GB and CAR prob offered 7th rounders. By threatening to release him to the free market that allows Gilly to be in a position to accept the best possible offer which by default creates a bidding war for his services. I think teams would rather give up low draft picks than money.

So after the NEP float out the news they'll just release him, CAR bumps up their offer to a 6th which was clearly the best offer for him available.
It's just lousy no matter what. Hindsight 20/20 you trade him post 2019 and know that the rebuild is on. Bill opted to keep key vets and give it a shot, but we know how that went. Then the player holds out and says he's not playing for that contract, so they PUP him and then this trade/release thing. Meh. It's more fodder for the anti-Bill crowd. Lousy all the way around IMO.

Just curious. Wouldn't the pats have got more if they just let him walk? Comp pick next year?
A 2023 5th, maybe. Couldn't be higher than that and would depend on his contract and on who they sign next year.

And to get that, they would have had to pay him throughout the rest of this year, around 6 million.

This is better than that scenario, unless you're figuring he would get out there and play week 7. And better than releasing him for the pick, and for saving an extra $400k because Carolina becomes responsible for this week's salary.

They needed the cap space. This wasn’t well thought out by Bill.

They aren't likely to get any comp picks due to the FA signings.

Assuming he can still play after his decline and then injury last year.
It's common for fans to think players are worth more than their actual trade value.

The reality is Gill is 31, experienced a major injury, was a holdout, no TC, hadn't played this year and in 2020 his play was good but had declined from 2019.

The time to trade him was during the draft in 2020 but with a lower cap number is was harder to do so plus Gilly wanted more money. I'm assuming because the offers were lower than what BB was willing to accept, he decided to just keep him as he was a DPOY/All Pro.

Wynn and Owenu on covid list
Brown and Mason no shows at practice
Gilly traded for a bag of peanuts.

Where's the party at?
Good times ahead

No. Max would be 5th due to accrued experience in the league. Move it forward a year, and that's roughly equivalent to the 6th. Not a great return for a player of his caliber (when healthy), but given the timing, it's likely the best we could hope for really.

Clearly the Football Gods are conspiring against the Patriots.
Huh? They lost some close games that they could have won which implies they aren’t far off.
That’s not a sinking ship.
There are no football gods.

Where did I make excuses? I see a team that isn’t far off and has been very competitive. That’s not a sinking ship.
Fumbling and missed FG’s. Those are excuses. They flat out just couldn’t get it done. They had these woulda, coulda, shoulda’s last year.

I see it as the opposite in market dynamics. His trade value went up as it had no where else to go but.

GB and CAR prob offered 7th rounders. By threatening to release him to the free market that allows Gilly to be in a position to accept the best possible offer which by default creates a bidding war for his services. I think teams would rather give up low draft picks than money.

So after the NEP float out the news they'll just release him, CAR bumps up their offer to a 6th which was clearly the best offer for him available.

This is similar to how I see it too. If the market (right now) was any higher than the 6th rounder they got, they would have traded him sooner for that. But since the offers were sufficiently low, you announce your intention to release him and see if that gives any of the suitors a sense of urgency. Worst case, they call your bluff and you've missed out on the original conditional 7th in 2023 (hypothetical example). I'm sure it wasn't a big boost, but I would wager it was something.

Like people have said, if you wanted to maximize his value, the time to trade him was last year. But I honestly don't think they thought they were out of it until later in the year in 2020. Right or wrong, they thought they needed Gilmore to compete last year so they kept him. I'm sure they were hopeful they could work out something long term too, then he got hurt, things got complicated, and the value both sides saw in each other changed.

C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est le pomme de terre.

No. Max would be 5th due to accrued experience in the league. Move it forward a year, and that's roughly equivalent to the 6th. Not a great return for a player of his caliber (when healthy), but given the timing, it's likely the best we could hope for really.
But a 5th next year is better than a 6th two years from now, no? The 6th is for 2023

This is a legitimate question. I’m not sure how comp picks work but it may depend on the contract structure. Might be a risk/reward type of thing.

A 6th is too low. They should’ve moved him last season for a 3 or 4, if possible.

Good times ahead
I feel bad for Mac if Brown and Mason were no shows because of injury/Covid. The Texans aren’t good, but Smith loves to bring the heat. He’s going to be peeling himself up off the turf on almost every drop back again.

It's just lousy no matter what. Hindsight 20/20 you trade him post 2019 and know that the rebuild is on. Bill opted to keep key vets and give it a shot, but we know how that went. Then the player holds out and says he's not playing for that contract, so they PUP him and then this trade/release thing. Meh. It's more fodder for the anti-Bill crowd. Lousy all the way around IMO.
Yep. Just ended badly from a return standpoint.

The injury was the death blow to any decent value he had. That and his age and contract after 2021.

Typical homer answer ignoring how he was able to get away with it.
Hmm, I was more just pointing out how Bill parting with key veterans is nothing new and that his latest one isn't going to make him look any worse than he's ever been made to look. If you want to call me a homer, so be it. I do support the team and the coach who has won us several Super Bowls, but I'm not one to excuse everything he's done.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back