PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

We can always debate individual moves after the fact. We always think that we could done better in 100% hindsight.

DEFENSE
1) On the DL, we added Godchaux and Barmore. [also Anderson who was injured]
2) At LB, we brought in Judon and Van Noy {and Collins] to add to Hightower, Bentley and Uche. [We also drafted a potential future contributor in Perkins].
3) At DB, we brought in Mills [and now Wade]. We hope to get some future contributions from Williams, Bryant and/or Wade.. For now, we are very strong with Jackson, Mills, Jones, McCourty, Phillips and Dugger.
4) This is in addition to the re-signings.

We had a fine defense last year. We now have a better defense. Even so early in the season, this defense looks very good.
==================
OFFENSE
1) All the offensive weapons are new except Meyers. [We also return Harry, Asiasi and Johnson].
2) It will take time for a rookie QB and 4 new receivers to learn the offense and perform well together. All five of the newbies won't be as productive as we expected. After all, we do need something to complain about.
3) The situation at OT is as many of us feared. We needed more OT help, we need OT help, we will need OT help. Many of us (not me) disagree with the team and want to move of our future pro-bowl LG to RT. Let me be clear. Wynn-Karras is not a good idea. Karras is a fine Game Day backup at RG, LG and C. I could see us spending a 3rd rounder on an OT.
4) I strongly disagreed with Taylor making the team over Michel. Others would have weakened our ST's and cut Bolden. Why not Slater or Bethel? Belichick values Bolden as a STer. Stevenson has been a disappointment. Now, we need to trader for a RB. I guess this business as usual. After 3 disappointments at RB, obviously we need a RB.

So, yes, our offense has a long way to go to be a competitive offense. I'm not at all surprised. I certainly didn't expect a solid offense by Game 4 with two new WR's, 2 new TE's and a new QB. Also, we have lost our backup and 3rd down back. The offense is performing much better than I expected.
The defense is letting up 122 yards against the run. It is no better than last year in that regard. The secondary played out of its mind vs Tampa but I am not sure if that holds up with Gilly officially gone. We'll see but it has been pretty good. We have no pass rush outside of Judon. That is also an issue.

I agree about the O being the main issue. The Oline is head scratching. Just awful and no one has an explanation. I don't think it is just Brown being out. Everyone has been bad/off. The Sony trade looks like a huge mistake in hindsight. Our skill guys I think will come along but listen to this clip from Cowherd about how our offense lacks dynamic playmakers. I was saying this ALL offseason and I think he may be right that we will struggle to be an offense that can score to keep up with today's NFL despite the promise of Mac. He starts talking about it at the 5:00 minute mark.

It’s not, thank God, within the dna of bill belichick to say it looks like it may be a tough year coming off a 12-4 season so let’s not try to be the best we can, let’s give up.
The only issue is Bill told Weiss just a few weeks into the season that he had given up on 2020 to reset the cap. Told him all those SBs were expensive so he was punting on 2020.

Interesting stuff in here about Bill's management of the team.

Bill's best years where when he had other voices like Pioli and Reese. Pioli when he was first starting out and Reese when his drafts were bad from 2005-2008. People love to say Reese didn't do anything in the War Room which is naïve to think as he built some awesome teams in Tennessee. Bill didn't bring him in to just hang out, he was a replacement for when Pioli left and Dimitroff a year prior getting the GM job in Atlanta.

From 2013 to 2020, the drafts were mediocre to atrocious with no other influence to challenge Bill. After Kraft called him out, we saw what looked like a collaboration in the War Room with Elliot Wolf and others. This draft should be an improvement from prior years.

Last edited:
This team needs to draft better. I have no doubt in my mind if we picked up AJ Brown or DK Metcalf and literally any lineman that was competent without injury issues, Brady is still here and we are still competing. The fact is all our issues start with years of ****ty drafts. Edelman was a late draft pick and we were flatout lucky he became what he became. That was in 09. We haven't had a solid homegrown WR since then. We had to trade for Cooks and look for reclamation projects like Gordon (who couldn't stay healthy), Dorsett, and Brown in the last few years of Brady.

I'm also sick of picking up players with an injury history because we think we can get lucky with upside.

The only issue is Bill told Weiss just a few weeks into the season that he had given up on 2020 to reset the cap. Told him all those SBs were expensive so he was punting on 2020.
Not true.

Bill's best years where when he had other voices like Pioli and Reese. Pioli when he was first starting out and Reese when his drafts were bad from 2005-2008. People love to say Reese didn't do anything in the War Room which is naïve to think as he built some awesome teams in Tennessee. Bill didn't bring him in to just hang out, he was a replacement for when Pioli left and Dimitroff a year prior getting the GM job in Atlanta.

From 2013 to 2020, the drafts were mediocre to atrocious with no other influence to challenge Bill. After Kraft called him out, we saw what looked like a collaboration in the War Room with Elliot Wolf and others. This draft should be an improvement from prior years.

Isn’t dimitroff available to rehire!

someone has to whisper in bill’s ear!

8-12 the last two years. You are what your record is. Stop making excuses.
People who expect a great session ever year are delusional. The entire make up of the league is designed to prevent teams from having long term continued success. If you can’t understand the concept of a rebuild, and the difficulties it takes to build an above average NFL team, then you should probably go watch another sport. Maybe baseball is better suited for you. Im absolutely loving the process the team is currently going through. i’m generally much more excited overall than I was for the past three years of having Tom Brady around. Where we kind of knew what we had, and simply started each season hoping for the best come seasons end . There’s a beauty in the concept of a team coming together and rebuilding. Patriots fans just need to relax, And enjoy the ride for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff in here about Bill's management of the team.

Not interesting at all, it’s just don’t know nothing speculating.

delete

Hearing that BB didnt shop Gilmore, just waited

More and more, its getting harder to justify these actions as anything but neglect, narcissism. Lack of forward vision

If we dont win against the Texans, my lenience with BB is over man. Too many mistakes and misjudgements happening all around

Hearing that BB didnt shop Gilmore, just waited

More and more, its getting harder to justify these actions as anything but neglect, narcissism. Lack of forward vision

If we dont win against the Texans, my lenience with BB is over man. Too many mistakes and misjudgements happening all around
Why wait until learning of the outcome? I think your mind is already made up about BB.

People who expect a great session ever year are delusional. The entire make up of the league is designed to prevent teams from having long term continued success. If you can’t understand the concept of a rebuild, and the difficulties it takes to build an above average NFL team, then you should probably go watch another sport. Maybe baseball is better suited for you. Im absolutely loving the process the team is currently going through. i’m generally much more excited overall than I was for the past three years of having Tom Brady around. Where we kind of knew what we had, and simply started each season hoping for the best come seasons end . There’s a beauty in the concept of a team coming together and rebuilding. Patriots fans just need to relax, And enjoy the ride for what it’s worth.
Agree.

Everyone has a different definition of rebuild.

Imo anytime you are looking for a franchise QB you are in rebuild purgatory.

We are still rebuilding....but it's looks promising.

Why wait until learning of the outcome? I think your mind is already made up about BB.
1st - 1-4 is much different than 2-3. October, much different than September, based on the last couple of years (which is already pretty bad, now that we dont have a GOAT at QB)

2nd - these 3 losses have been cause by coaching blunders (Flags, fumbles, that complete lack of focus against the Saints, plus more). Will it stop now?

3rd - If we lose to the Texans, it is especially because our GM blundered the construction of his coaching staff. Carmen is not ready to be the sole OL coach, a strenght doesnt became a weakness without help

4th - Kicking 56 yards, on the rain, with a bum-leg kicker who hasnt kicked a kick like that in...ever. Can he stop doing dumb **** in game?

5th - Make the offense not look miserable, even though the Rookie is playing well

So, yeah, those are the reasons.

ah And 6th, I think you are just used to the mediocrity from before Brady and I am not.

2nd - these 3 losses have been cause by coaching blunders (Flags, fumbles, that complete lack of focus against the Saints, plus more). Will it stop now?

Now we know you're just trolling us. The coaches have literally nothing to do with a player getting flagged, fumbling the ball or lacking focus. That is 100% on the players.

As mentioned, if you willing to just make stuff up to hate on the coaching staff, just bail on this team already. We won't miss the negativity.

Now we know you're just trolling us. The coaches have literally nothing to do with a player getting flagged, fumbling the ball or lacking focus. That is 100% on the players.

As mentioned, if you willing to just make stuff up to hate on the coaching staff, just bail on this team already. We won't miss the negativity.
Seriously? Not only I have never seen you around and never talked to you, so it already starts off wrong. But let me break it down for you level, as a favor.

"The coaches have literally nothing to do with a player getting flagged,"
You must not have seen the 12 man penalties, Slater playing OoB, holdings on our OL so they can get bailed out of abysmal fundamental.

"fumbling the ball"
Have I been off when the philosophy of not turning over the ball ended? Because sure it seems like it when ship our most reliable ball carrier when appearently NONE of our Backs is ready to be a main back. Who makes those roster management calls again?

"lacking focus"
You didnt watch week 3 against the Saints. We got destroyed on every level, and makes sense when you have Brady lurking on the next week.

You wanna be left alone on a paralel reality, that's ok. I hear it's pretty common nowadays. Clearly you already are in one, since this part "As mentioned, if you willing to just make stuff up to hate on the coaching staff," it's 100% fabricated

Last edited:
Now it’s getting into whataboutism.

Okay, they made bad moves, but whatabout the Chiefs signing Frank Clark!? Terrible overpay.

Okay, it was misplayed with Gilmore, but whatabout the Cowboys releasing Jaylon Smith!? Would you rather have that?

And of course, Bill is praised for all of his great moves and his foresight, but now how can anyone ever really know anything without hindsight? Everything is random and unknowable. NFL strategy is a tale told told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Patriots fans love to act like the rest of the league is a bunch of idiots but when we do something stupid it's "Look what the Cowboys did!!".

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back