PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore tests positive now

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why are you bringing that up? It seems rather obvious that both Gilmore and Newton tested positive because of something they did away from work, in the outside world. **** happens.
It’s not obvious. Gilmore was known to be one of the people in contact with Newton. It’s highly likely he caught it from him

hmmm

well, interesting. Sure is interesting your sudden interest in our discussion when clearly im waiting for him to be less than the talkative guy he usually is and double answering for my single post, with a very thin logic
Sorry I only speak English. But if you think me discussing Covid is something that has just happened "suddenly" then you need to get out of whatever cave you are living in.
Are you sure u arent a double account here, XLIX? Would make a lot of sense huh
GFY. I speak only for myself and have no other account.

Maybe they should do that.... maybe they should do that.... but good luck getting the Union to agree to it.... and your response still doesn't answer the question regarding where they could implement an NBA style bubble as some in here are advocating....
All 32 NFL teams in a NBA style bubble isn't feasible imo. Gameplans and practices are secretive to the nth degree.

Locking the Pats and the other 31 teams in a local hotel is the next closest option. At least they would have use of home practice facilities.

I can't wait till there is an outbreak and the NFL forces the Super Bowl to be played.

That Hoyer vs Jameis Winston matchup we all wanted to see.

It's interesting all of the talk about multiple hotels and facilities and other solutions that would cost millions (billions?) in revenue that the league isn't generating without fans. I get that the NBA did it, but it was just a small subset of the total teams (which shrunk over time as well reducing footprint), over a short time period in basically a single complex (Disney).

The two leagues simply don't operate the same way - you cant bundle games to shorten the time, you have ten times the manpower needed to sustain a single team, and the NFL preparation/practice isn't executed at the same scale, space that you play the product on like the NBA is. (if you've seen NFL camp or practice they use 2-4 fields at once to prepare plus the multiple meeting/film rooms for offense, defense, position-specific, etc).

This would be like putting on the Olympics...a players village, multiple brand new facilities to be built, hell, even a host city to sponsor it (do you honestly think the league would put up the capital necessary to creat this monstrosity????? Ha!) and then tons of new buses, drivers, food preparation facilities and personnel, practice facilities, all of the cleaning crews to disinfect (all of which everyone seems to say must be fully quarantined for the entire season simply for our entertainment), and twenty other things I'm totally forgetting. The scale is unreal.

I'm not forgiving the League offices...they're doltish too (fines! forfeits! victim shaming! - all for the almighty dollar), but I also understand that the ask is impossible "run a league that mandates close contact to function, with travel, during a pandemic" and they're not going to bankrupt themselves (like many other entertainment sources have...movie theaters...restaurants...etc) as one of the solutions. It's an impossible circumstance to both plan and execute.

The virus will spread - period unless you fully isolate everyone involved in the process from the rest of the world across eight months which is both massively expensive and also draconian (sorry plumber that fixes the clogs, you cant see your family for eight months, and by the way we're not going to pay your entire room and board while you do it).

This league can't control this, there is no way they can. A floodgate of positive will soon open.

i read somewhere that gilmore and his wife are expecting. i seriously doubt he would do anyhing to put them in harms way. In the whole who gave to who and how and how it affects the team, the bigger picture of families and non football normal people being impacted is being completely ignored. they really shouldve all been isolated for a week instead of travelling to KC and playing a game. The league will blame the pats for some violated protocols etc i am sure but they are the ones to blame here.

The colleges that are playing football seem to have controlled this. How are the college football programs so far able to control the acquisition and spread of Covid, while the NFL seemingly can't?

It’s who we are. Love it or hate it, that’s a reflection on who we are as a country.

Yes, and...we are always becoming something else. That's who we are as humans.

Time to talk about a bubble.

I say 4 bubbles of 8 teams each...regionally based. Everyone takes their current record to the bubble (e.g. Titans would forfeit and go into the bubble at 3-1, the Steelers 4-0).

All teams play 7 games in the bubble...one against each other. At the end of 11 games, the top 4 teams in each bubble advance to the playoffs.

For the playoffs, we have 2 bubbles of 8 teams each. Whittle that down in 3 weeks to one team per bubble. Then play a Superbowl in one of the final bubbles.

We would have a "15 game season" including the playoffs (4 regular games, 7 bubble games, 4 playoff rounds). Currently, we are in week 5....it would take us maybe 3-4 weeks to set up bubbles...1-2 weeks practice for each team with COVID testing....then move to a bubble for the next 1-2 weeks before playing a game.

Season would end in early January.....

It will be nice to have a high pick for a change. If the season is even finished, that is.
I wish I could say I was amazed that people have bought into the hype of the draft so much that they'd rather watch the draft rather than good football, but I'm not.

I wish I had @Joker 's writing ability so I could better express what I'm feeling right now...
No way the league just cancels, too much money at stake for that to happen. They will weasel and snake their way into playing games, no doubt about it.
Follow the money. It's that simple.
The value in COVID is to teach, and prepare, for a more infectious, more deadly virus in the future. We've had the opportunity for months, as a country, to accept this lesson in epidemiology but heartily resisted. As a result, we've done half-way measures that have had only a little impact and effectively extended the virus' impact for another year.

Maybe that's what we needed to learn with this one: half-way measures only make things worse.

Now, with football as a focal point, maybe we'll get some large scale learning about infection patterns and control. Ironic and sad, but it is another opportunity.
Great points. I follow the airline industry and I'm amazed they still think of COVID-19 as a once in a lifetime event, even though they've already had SARS as a precursor.
Still waiting for someone to tell me where in the U.S. the NFL could put an NBA style bubble.... you’d need 32 NFL caliber practice facilities and at least a dozen NFL caliber playing fields.

The main idea is to reduce transmission vectors as much as possible. Just saw your post where you think this is a good idea, so +1 for you.
Just for the lols

Mort is the ultimate NFL/Goodell ball washer.
Pretty sure Gilmore didn't spend 10 minutes with PM. A quick word outdoors would not be enough to spread it. Hell I interact with customers outside every week.
Pretty sure, you say? Shouldn't we be aiming for better than 'pretty sure'?
oh no another player infected with a 99.2% chance of recovery what ever will we do
There's 215,000 dead people who would like to talk to you about this, if they could.

I wish I could say I was amazed that people have bought into the hype of the draft so much that they'd rather watch the draft rather than good football, but I'm not.

I wish I had @Joker 's writing ability so I could better express what I'm feeling right now...

Follow the money. It's that simple.

Great points. I follow the airline industry and I'm amazed they still think of COVID-19 as a once in a lifetime event, even though they've already had SARS as a precursor.

The main idea is to reduce transmission vectors as much as possible. Just saw your post where you think this is a good idea, so +1 for you.

Mort is the ultimate NFL/Goodell ball washer.

Pretty sure, you say? Shouldn't we be aiming for better than 'pretty sure'?

There's 215,000 dead people who would like to talk to you about this, if they could.
And many of their family members who would like to punch someone in the face if someone made a mocking comment like that.

Before we start with stupid theories, it's highly likely a player can get infected not doing anything irresponsible and literally just getting breathed on by another player within a tackle pile while on the field.

No big deal.

We're all going to catch it and if you're reasonably healthy (even in old age) you'll be fine. No one is dying of this thing and football players that are in top physical form are in the lowest of the low risk factors.

And many of their family members who would like to punch someone in the face if someone made a mocking comment like that.
But people are dead because there is a deadly highly contagious virus throughout the world, not because of the person who was infected with it. You can’t hide from it, you can’t outsmart it, you can’t virtue signal it away. Hopefully you can contain it and the death toll is really indication of how incredibly well it has been contained.

made no sense to fly out to KC given the incubation period...
Completely reckless and irresponsible. Cam took the positive test on Friday so he couldn't play in two days. Gilmore in all likelihood saw Cam Friday but didn't test positive. Two days after the game Gilmore tests positive. There is no way that game should have been played. There is no way they should be even thinking about playing a game inside of at least 7 days (probably 14 ideally) if a player who was in contact with others tests positive.

I think most will agree that the players aren't likely to be at risk of death if they catch it due to their age and physical fitness but these guys also have families. They have parents, potentially pregnant wives/sisters, someone they know dealing with cancer, and not to mention most NFL coaches aren't anywhere near "healthy" overall and are definitely susceptible to major risks associated with this. I know this all boils down to money but at what point is it worth it?

Completely reckless and irresponsible. Cam took the positive test on Friday so he couldn't play in two days. Gilmore in all likelihood saw Cam Friday but didn't test positive. Two days after the game Gilmore tests positive. There is no way that game should have been played. There is no way they should be even thinking about playing a game inside of at least 7 days (probably 14 ideally) if a player who was in contact with others tests positive.

I think most will agree that the players aren't likely to be at risk of death if they catch it due to their age and physical fitness but these guys also have families. They have parents, potentially pregnant wives/sisters, someone they know dealing with cancer, and not to mention most NFL coaches aren't anywhere near "healthy" overall and are definitely susceptible to major risks associated with this. I know this all boils down to money but at what point is it worth it?
The players had the choice to opt out. They play at their own risk.

Mortensen praising Goodell now for covid handling shows how he's the biggest ass clown after Tomase out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back