Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting, hadn’t heard about this prior to now:

Obviously his name has been thrown around as a possible trade option but Miguel’s numbers sort of show that given the dead money, it’s basically a split between the cap savings:

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I would think it would take a 1st round pick to get him but who knows with Bill. What will they pay Jackson if they ship him off? This isn't the same team as before and Jackson will want a massive deal.

Might be hard to get a first rounder for a 30 year old.
Agreed. Assuming he goes, and I don't think he will, you would have to think it's going to be a to a contender. A 2nd from such a team isn't great for the raining DPOY.

While we're on the topic of home sales...Cannon's home was listed at $1.1 million on 8/27, then lowered to $1 million on 9/6, and then sold for $965,000 on 10/15.

Might be hard to get a first rounder for a 30 year old.
I think the time to get rid of him was in the offseason. Coming off a DPOY maybe they could get a first rounder for him back in March but at this point he hasn't looked great, wants to get paid, and like you said, is 30 years old. Where we are as a team at this point I would settle for a second or third rounder.

There are a lot of players who may not be patriots between now and the start of the 2021 season. Just to name a few...

-Gilmore

-JMac/DMac

-Cannon

-Edelman

-Hightower

-Chung

-Thuney

I think the Bills game is going to tell us a lot. If we lose, then it's going to be tough to make the playoffs. Bill may decide to clean house at that point.

Last edited:
I think the time to get rid of him was in the offseason. Coming off a DPOY maybe they could get a first rounder for him back in March but at this point he hasn't looked great, wants to get paid, and like you said, is 30 years old. Where we are as a team at this point I would settle for a second or third rounder.
Maybe he can get a few picks off Allen and they can move him then. If he is going to hold out next year he should go but that's pure speculation on my part.

Does anybody know the details of the raise that the Patriots gave Gilmore last month? Was it a genuine increase, or just converting guaranteed money that was going to be paid regardless, for cap purposes. (IOW was it similar to what happened in March of 2019 when, $8.5 million in his salary was converted to a signing bonus; that reduced his cap charge by $5.67 million in 2019 - but at the same time increased his 2020 and 2021 cap charges by $2.83 million.)

The reason I ask is that on the surface it doesn't make sense that the Patriots would give Gilmore a pay raise in September, and then look to trade him in October.

Does anybody know the details of the raise that the Patriots gave Gilmore last month? Was it a genuine increase, or just converting money that was going to be paid regardless, for cap purposes. (IOW was it similar to what happened in March of 2019 when, $8.5 million in his salary was converted to a signing bonus; that reduced his cap charge by $5.67 million in 2019 - but at the same time increased his 2020 and 2021 cap charges by $2.83 million.)

The reason I ask is that on the surface it doesn't make sense that the Patriots would give Gilmore a pay raise in September, and then look to trade him in October.

Bingo

W/o the specifics, trading a guy that you just gave money for no reason* makes very little sense, unless he asks for a trade himself or you have completely altered your evaluation of your potentecial, even for this year.

Now, a different perspective, considering the house and your post, maybe BB and Gilmore are aware of future events better than us. I am now more convinced than ever this is his last year here. And if that is true, it does make sense to trade him IF there is good return.

PS I do not consider a 2nd round good return. Trading him now for a 2nd its the same as trading him for a second, come season end, barring unexpected events. Longevity for Defensive backs are way high too, so I dont buy this whole "he's 30, he lost value". It just percepction and perceptions are very misleading in business

*Behaviour reasons not counting

While we're on the topic of home sales...Cannon's home was listed at $1.1 million on 8/27, then lowered to $1 million on 9/6, and then sold for $965,000 on 10/15.

As mentioned a couple of times. I think it was Curran who said that Cannon was close to retiring multiple times this year. It sounded like he is done with football but got himself a nice little COVID opt-out bonus.

Does anybody know the details of the raise that the Patriots gave Gilmore last month? Was it a genuine increase, or just converting money that was going to be paid regardless, for cap purposes. (IOW was it similar to what happened in March of 2019 when, $8.5 million in his salary was converted to a signing bonus; that reduced his cap charge by $5.67 million in 2019 - but at the same time increased his 2020 and 2021 cap charges by $2.83 million.)

It was not like his 2019 restructure. They just moved some 2021 salary to 2020 and added a $2 million DPOY incentive (that he was always super unlikely to earn). That's good for trade purposes, because what's left of the increased salary will go to his new team if he's traded.

The lowered 2021 salary is interesting, because in that sense it wasn't really a raise, just an advance. The consensus seems to be that he'll hold out for a raise to get that money (and more) back, but it's also somewhat convenient for the team (whichever team that is) to have that salary as a placeholder if, for example, he tore his ACL this season and had no leverage to hold out in the offseason.

Does anybody know the details of the raise that the Patriots gave Gilmore last month? Was it a genuine increase, or just converting guaranteed money that was going to be paid regardless, for cap purposes. (IOW was it similar to what happened in March of 2019 when, $8.5 million in his salary was converted to a signing bonus; that reduced his cap charge by $5.67 million in 2019 - but at the same time increased his 2020 and 2021 cap charges by $2.83 million.)

They didn't give him any new money as far as I remember. They just moved money from his last year up to this. Apparently this had the hidden benefit that it also made his potential franchise tag number in 22 go down.

Some stats from Mark Daniels:

Interesting on the stat totals, especially given some of the criticism he’s gotten as of late.

Trading Gilmore

Positives

• Ensures a top 10 pick in a deep draft class at QB
  • Clears cap space
  • Gain an asset
Negatives
  • Weakens the current team
  • Arguably weakens next year’s team
The argument against trading Gilmore is a denial of the state of the team IMO.

Some stats from Mark Daniels:

Interesting on the stat totals, especially given some of the criticism he’s gotten as of late.

From everything we have seen so far this year he seems as proficient as he has been since he arrived here in 2017. A couple more flags than usual but I can think of at least 3 that were absolute ********.

Ian Rapoport was on WEEI this morning and said he hasn’t heard anything regarding any potential trade rumors:

Belichick was also asked this morning and backed Gilmore as well. Honestly, Sunday is pivotal and I’m sure they likely won’t consider a move unless it goes badly, so any talk this week is probably premature. But if they lose this one, it wouldn’t shock me if they do something to try and put themselves in better position heading in to next year and beyond.

I wouldn't read too much into selling houses. This isnt like the Brady situation when that was a big tell. Right now, everyone is looking at the housing market as prices are hugely inflated for sales. I just got a mortgage of 2.6% for 30 years. I bid 4x on houses, each time $50k-100 over asking, and only got a house on the 4th try. Now is the time to sell and the time to buy if you're going to borrow money to do it. Now is not the time for cash offers though.

2-4 football team with a historically bad passing offense ranked bottom 5 in PPG paired with an undermanned front 7 due to opt outs & FA. You then trade the DPOY and what do you think the likely outcome is record wise?

The wording may have been off. Meant their own pick not one coming back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye