PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillette attendance after Brady & Belichick retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and I have had season tickets going back to the Erhardt era. Each of us maintaining them on our own in the years one of us lived and worked outside the region. I've seen the dark days as well and I think you may be discounting something that is different than when previous dynasties fell, there's a salary cap now. The worst of the bad old days were largely driven by broke/incompetent ownership pre cap. We might see a 3-13 season or two but if Jonathon Kraft has learned anything from his father we are unlikely to see a string like we saw under the drag end of the Sullivan ownership thru the Kiam 'error.' That observation isn't made to discount your core question about what it will look like at the stadium when this unprecedented run ends. I firmly believe the golden era we have been witnessing has forever changed the way New England fans view both the team and the league. Before this run the NFL was a very distant 4th in the fans hearts and minds but we've had an entire sports generation that has now had it blended into their DNA, it's part of who they are. Something like that doesn't just go away. Given the cost and traffic/time hassle of attending games in Foxborough even a brief period of struggle at current prices will see an exodus of the sit on their hands club seating pink hats but their loss will be real fans gain when the price drops and the noise dead zone they create will be become a cacophony of raucousness. Gillette isn't Fenway or the Garden, it's a PITA all day commitment getting in and out of there and the Krafts are good enough businessmen to know the product needs to be worth the fans investment of time and money. Thanks to the cost certainty of the cap we will not see anything like the hopelessness of the Kiam years under their watch, at some point the team will have a down cycle but I doubt we will ever see a down and out one again.

I respect your passion, but you are giving far too much credit to the Kraft’s.

Letting Brady dictate the trade of Garoppolo shows the loyalty & stupidity of the Krafts.

Red Auerbach biggest mistake outside of hiring Rick Pitino was letting the big 3 get old & retire with no return on his investment.

see Dallas, Pittsburgh, and San Fran for the answer. all had dynasties but still had great crowds after the team talent tailed off. I dont see a problem.

Ask the Celtics why their 50 year season ticket waiting list evaporated over night & they had to stoop to selling tickets for $10 as an attempt to fill the stadium.

The Celtics after the big 3 retired & the Patriots of the 80’s & early 90’s should be proof that this region does not support a franchise in decline at the gates.

Idiotic thread, how are we supposed to know what will happen 20 years from now?
nostradamus-1.png

"Spoiler alert, my son..."

Letting Brady dictate the trade of Garoppolo shows the loyalty & stupidity of the Krafts.

Red Auerbach biggest mistake outside of hiring Rick Pitino was letting the big 3 get old & retire with no return on his investment.

What I credit in the Krafts is their business acumen. They know their location and pricing requires a winning team, they won't let the team fall to disaster level. I don't believe Brady 'dictated' the trading of Garoppolo as such although I am enough of a heretic (as long timers you & I would say realist) to think they may not have chosen wisely. That said, until I see what comes next here and Garoppolo play a few 16 game seasons I can't say they their decision was stupid and it may yet turn out to be the right one. The ultimate cost of framegate was the rest of the league got a look at Jimmy G and that priced him out of here.

Auerbach had a plan & might have moved on from the Big 3 sooner if Reggie & Len Bias had been the core replacements he believed they should have. Lewis' heart and Bias' stupidity weren't exactly Red's doing. The Celts fell to the level of true suck hence their pricing.

What I credit in the Krafts is their business acumen. They know their location and pricing requires a winning team, they won't let the team fall to disaster level. I don't believe Brady 'dictated' the trading of Garoppolo as such although I am enough of a heretic (as long timers you & I would say realist) to think they may not have chosen wisely. That said, until I see what comes next here and Garoppolo play a few 16 game seasons I can't say they their decision was stupid and it may yet turn out to be the right one. The ultimate cost of framegate was the rest of the league got a look at Jimmy G and that priced him out of here.

Auerbach had a plan & might have moved on from the Big 3 sooner if Reggie & Len Bias had been the core replacements he believed they should have. Lewis' heart and Bias' stupidity weren't exactly Red's doing. The Celts fell to the level of true suck hence their pricing.

We may not see eye to eye, but I respect your opinion.

Bias though died while the big 3 was still a force. If Bird did not hurt his hand in a bar fight in 1987, they may have won another championship.

Parcells started the sellouts, not Kraft.
This was also the old stadium in which the cost of tickets were much less.

When we moved into the new stadium in 2002, my ticket prices tripled in cost.

How do you know we are going to have a competent head coach when Belichick retires?

I believe you need a quality coach and quarterback to be successful in the NFL these days. I feel a lot less confident in a quality QB after Brady since Garoppolo got traded.
Sounds like you are rooting for the demise.
Here is hoping you can find better things to do with your time than that.

If they needed brady to help them understand if they didn’t trade garapolo they get nothing for him they need to get better at their job.

Yeah they should have done like the bruins did with Bobby Orr. :rolleyes:

When is the next Great Depression? What will we do then? Will there be a war with China? What about a HURRICANE? A TERRIBLE FLOOD?!

I remember when times were BAD! So bad, I sang dem blues ...

We may not see eye to eye, but I respect your opinion.

Bias though died while the big 3 was still a force. If Bird did not hurt his hand in a bar fight in 1987, they may have won another championship.

The respect is mutual as befits a couple of guys that survived Kiam. I obviously place a h value you don't share on the Krafts understanding of their $ituation in this region when it comes to winning and believe they will move heaven and Earth to stay competitive rather than trying to milk the cow when they know their barn is not ideally located. Let's face it, we both obviously love the game and the team but we also recognize Foxborough isn't Fenway in terms of accessibility and it won't fill itself without a decent team. I believe the Krafts have to know that too.

Bias and Lewis were supposed to be the next core that could have come along behind the Big 3 and would have allowed Red to move them while they still had a high value. Auerbach was never the same guy after the Bias fiasco. The fact is Boston isn't a basketball town the way it is a hockey town. As successful as the Celts were over the course of 3 decades they never attained the core fan loyalty the Bruins enjoyed while merely being good to adequate over most of that same time period (the all too brief Orr era excepted and that was under the Adams ownership). No owner in this town spent less and raked it in like that miser Jacobs. If the NHL hadn't adopted a cap the B's would never have won a Cup under his ownership and sure wouldn't be threatening for another now. The only credit I give Jacobs is he never hid the fact it was always about the bottom line and even said the "cost certainty of the cap allowed us to win a championship."

OK Folks say that Kraft gets way much credit. Let's be clear. The team has sold out EVERY GAME, EVEEY SINGLE GAME, since Kraft arrived. And yes, even before Belichick and before Brady.

I agree that lots of credit should be give to the great 3 coaches: Parcels, Carroll and Belichick.

Last edited:
It all depends on how handsome the next QB is.

Lol. This region is so used to winning right now, a few 3-13 seasons could be devastating for attendance. Not only are we used to elite coaching and QB play, but two dreadful seasons in a row, or even declining success, may be a sign Kraft hired the wrong guys to follow the two legends and things are trending in a bad direction.

Elite coaching? Like benching your best or second best CB in the Superbowl, for no apparent reason, getting lit by a CFL QB, losing the game and then not having the guts or the integrity to explain yourself? If he's elite, what does that make Doug Peterson who had the sense to not bench his best defensive player in the biggest game of the year?

OK Folks say that Kraft gets woo much credit. Let's be clear. The team has sold out EVERY GAME, EVEEY SINGLE GAME, since Kraft arrived. And yes, even before Belichick and before Brady.

I agree that lots of credit should be give to the great 3 coaches: Parcels, Carroll and Belichick.

I think you misunderstood how 'credit' was being used in this instance. cupofjoe1962 meant that he believes I credit the Krafts with having more football & business acumen than they merit based on recent moves. I believe they truly know both this market and the NFL and understand their place in both and as such they will not allow this team to languish through multiple 3-13 type seasons.

tickets will probably be cheaper

As successful as the Celts were over the course of 3 decades they never attained the core fan loyalty the Bruins enjoyed while merely being good to adequate over most of that same time period (the all too brief Orr era excepted and that was under the Adams ownership). No owner in this town spent less and raked it in like that miser Jacobs. If the NHL hadn't adopted a cap the B's would never have won a Cup under his ownership and sure wouldn't be threatening for another now. The only credit I give Jacobs is he never hid the fact it was always about the bottom line and even said the "cost certainty of the cap allowed us to win a championship."

The Bobby Orr Bruins of the early 70’s popularity was incredible and never matched by the Celtics. I guess that is what happens when you have the best player “Ever”.

The Neely Bruins of the 80’s & 90’s and even the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins of 2011, couldn’t touch the Bird Celtics of the 1980’s in popularity.

If they needed brady to help them understand if they didn’t trade garapolo they get nothing for him they need to get better at their job.

I believe Belichick wanted to trade Brady after last season and keep Garoppolo. That may have been a risky move, but I bet Belichick would have remained coach of the Patriots longer if he got his way.

Yeah they should have done like the bruins did with Bobby Orr. :rolleyes:

You mean when Orr went to the Black Hawks? His knee was toast when he left.

I think you misunderstood how 'credit' was being used in this instance. cupofjoe1962 meant that he believes I credit the Krafts with having more football & business acumen than they merit based on recent moves. I believe they truly know both this market and the NFL and understand their place in both and as such they will not allow this team to languish through multiple 3-13 type seasons.
fair enough

I believe Belichick wanted to trade Brady after last season and keep Garoppolo. That may have been a risky move, but I bet Belichick would have remained coach of the Patriots longer if he got his way.
There is absolutely no way belichick would have traded tom Brady. Lynch asked and B.B. said “I’m not trading the greatest qb ever”.
There is just no way in the world yuu trade the greatest qb ever who is still the greatest current qb. No way.

You mean when Orr went to the Black Hawks? His knee was toast when he left.
And letting him go did them no good. This idea of trading bird mchale and Parrish is idiotic and doesn’t hold any water at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents