Garoppolo Trade Talks to Heat Up This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1342.jpg

@ChiSportUpdates #Bears are prepared to engage in talks on Jimmy Garoppolo at the combine later this month. ( Via @JasonLaCanfora)

Expectations are so high right now.

Now if the Patriots "only" get the 12th pick, people will still be outraged about how it wasn't enough. I can only imagine what the reaction may be if Belichick trades JG for something like a 2nd rounder in each of 2017 and 2018.

I keep hearing suggestions that the Browns, 49ers, or Bears could trade down to the mid-1st round and pick up some extra picks before trading the 1st to the Pats for Jimmy.

That's a nice plan, as long as you know that your competition isn't willing to trade their original pick for him.

Exactly. Some really crazy obsession around here over a guy that hasn't gotten through 2 games in the NFL.

Looking at what the Redskins gave up to get RG3, a guy who had never played in the NFL, the #12 pick seems like very little.

And its really a perfectly fair reasonable comparison. By offering a 1st rounder for JG you are saying he is a franchise QB. So if you think JG is a franchise QB pay the franchise QB rate established by the Redskins for RG3 trade :D

Looking at what the Redskins gave up to get RG3, a guy who had never played in the NFL, the #12 pick seems like very little.

And its really a perfectly fair reasonable comparison. By offering a 1st rounder for JG you are saying he is a franchise QB. So if you think JG is a franchise QB pay the franchise QB rate established by the Redskins for RG3 trade :D

I don't necessarily agree, but from reading Cleveland and Chicago's boards, it seems like the argument against trading for JG is that you're giving up the draft pick but not getting the benefit of several years of a cap-friendly contract. I also think the fan bases are worried about another backup fizzling out or that if he was so good, why wasn't he drafted higher originally.

Expectations are so high right now.

Now if the Patriots "only" get the 12th pick, people will still be outraged about how it wasn't enough. I can only imagine what the reaction may be if Belichick trades JG for something like a 2nd rounder in each of 2017 and 2018.

I'm all for trading a Garrapolo but only if they get a first as part of the deal. They can keep him another season and still get a 3rd as compensation so 2nd round picks make no sense to me.

I'm all for trading a Garrapolo but only if they get a first as part of the deal. They can keep him another season and still get a 3rd as compensation so 2nd round picks make no sense to me.

That assumes 1) Jimmy signs a deal that's high enough to reach the threshold - generally top 5% contract in the NFL for someone with 2 career starts, 2) The Patriots don't sign any offsetting free agents that offseason. Also remember that the compensatory pick wouldn't be until the 2019 draft.

Exactly. Some really crazy obsession around here over a guy that hasn't gotten through 2 games in the NFL.

Not to be facetious, but in 2007 the Pats had Asante Samuel on the franchise tag. They could have traded him for picks, but they decided that the value of Samuel on the team in 2007 + the comp pick outweighed whatever they could get for him via trade.

It's at least possible that they view keeping Garoppolo similarly.

I don't necessarily agree, but from reading Cleveland and Chicago's boards, it seems like the argument against trading for JG is that you're giving up the draft pick but not getting the benefit of several years of a cap-friendly contract. I also think the fan bases are worried about another backup fizzling out or that if he was so good, why wasn't he drafted higher originally.

RG3 was a #2 pick. Last year Carson Wentz was drafted at #2 and got a 4 year 26.67m contract, fully guaranteed.

JG costs less than $1m next year. Sure if he works out you probably have to pay him ~$20m/yr, but you have an essentially free year to test drive him.

If he does work out you are paying around slightly more thantwice as much as for #2 pick.

So you really don't save as much as you might think going with a rookie. And especially given the state of this years QB draft crop, JG is almost certainly going to outperform a rookie for at least the first year of his contract. And so the overall value of JG, even accounting for his higher price, is likely to be higher over the next 4 years.

Makes sense for the Bears to trade for him now. Before free agency. Only counts 1.1m towards your 2017 cap and you can still hit free agency. I love the idiots on ESPN and NFL Network talking about how much money he costs the team acquiring him. He makes less than what the pick they give up will cost them. You can sign him to an extension during the season, or tag him after the year.

I'm still thinking the 3 from Chicago. And, the board will hate whom we pick there. Soloman Thomas - DL - Stanford. 3down player

Not to be facetious, but in 2007 the Pats had Asante Samuel on the franchise tag. They could have traded him for picks, but they decided that the value of Samuel on the team in 2007 + the comp pick outweighed whatever they could get for him via trade.

It's at least possible that they view keeping Garoppolo similarly.
The massive difference is the Pats already have an all time great player at the QB position whereas they had nothing back then behind Samuel at CB which there are 2-3 spots to employ. Not comparable scenarios at all.

Wait, What, the Pats are looking into trading Aladdin?:p

There is no guarantee at all of that. That's the BEST they could get.
Comp picks are based on your NET loss or gain from FA. There is also a limit of 32.

So it isn't the top 32 guys signed, its the top 32 equations of losses-signings that get comp picks.

Makes sense for the Bears to trade for him now. Before free agency. Only counts 1.1m towards your 2017 cap and you can still hit free agency. I love the idiots on ESPN and NFL Network talking about how much money he costs the team acquiring him. He makes less than what the pick they give up will cost them. You can sign him to an extension during the season, or tag him after the year.

I'm still thinking the 3 from Chicago. And, the board will hate whom we pick there. Soloman Thomas - DL - Stanford. 3down player

Thomas is my #1 player in the draft. He might be the most disruptive player I've ever watched. After the combine he'll be considered one of the best athletes in the NFL & he's incredibly versatile. He can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT, and even some 3-4 NT/3-4 OLB. He's my dream with the Jimmy G trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes