Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW:

Nine quarterbacks were drafted after Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2014 draft. Now in their third years, zero of the nine are starters; seven of the nine have been cut by the teams that drafted them.

FWIW:

Nine quarterbacks were drafted after Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2014 draft. Now in their third years, zero of the nine are starters; seven of the nine have been cut by the teams that drafted them.

Our own Drafting expert, @captain stone, absolutely hated the pick of Garappolo..

What Draft Picks Will Make the Team (Roster Projection)

captainstone said:
I too hated the Garappolo & OL picks. Halapio in particular has looked terrible. He might just be
the most unathletic OLman whom Bill has ever drafted, if not has ever had on his team. Sux that
John Urschel was taken by the Ratbirds 4 picks earlier, but there were still much better OLmen
available at 179 than this injury-prone blob. I thought that Stork was over-drafted at 105; if I had
to choose a Center there, I would've chosen Russell Bodine. And Cameron Fleming wasn't even the
best OLman on his own damn team still available when he was taken.

Well, @captain stone. How's that crow taste?

Last edited:
To state the obvious, the Jimmy Gs type picks are like insurance policies you hope you never need. But here we are with an insurance policy and now collecting on it.

Ask the 2011 Colts how things can go. Or the 2016 Vikings (the Vikings may do fine but it cost them a #1 pick + at least a #4).

Still find it interesting that Pats had JimmyG just behind Bortles that draft. Bortles definitely has the better physical profile, but has had a slow start these past two years.

I thought then and do now that jimmy will be compared with Bridgewater and Carr, who have both had great starts to their career. For me, it would have been a great disappointment if Jimmy wasn't capable of being a starter by now.

Personally I didn't like the pick either as a fan. However I don't bring it up as a memorium every time a player does bad on the field with "we could of drafted |insert player x| instead of" to try to disparage the greatest coach of all time.

I liked Jimmy G okay.

The only QBs I really like over him were Carr and Bortles.

Bridgewater i knew he could do it in the pocket but guys who run too much tend to get injured. Interesting that he did get injured but not for the reason i thought so in a way i was right and wrong there.

Johnny Football I thought was a disaster waiting to happen

A very good QB class he was part of and personally I still like him to have a better career than Bridgewater even without the injury.

Last edited:
To state the obvious, the Jimmy Gs type picks are like insurance policies you hope you never need. But here we are with an insurance policy and now collecting on it.

Ask the 2011 Colts how things can go. Or the 2016 Vikings (the Vikings may do fine but it cost them a #1 pick + at least a #4).

Speaking of that, if Bradford being worth a 1 and a 4 is the current benchmark for the QB trade market, I might actually come around to Garoppolo being worth a 1st this offseason, provided that his next 3 starts are even passably decent.

Bradford is a known quality that pretty much defines mediocrity. Granted it was a panic trade by the Vikings, but FFS. With 3 more 'pretty good' (not even great) starts, Garoppolo will become a more attractive asset purely by virtue of having some actual upside.

Personally I didn't like the pick either as a fan. However I don't bring it up as a memorium every time a player does bad on the field with "we could of drafted |insert player x| instead of" to try to disparage the greatest coach of all time.

I was on the fence leaning toward negative when it happened, but over time I've come to accept and appreciate it as a roster-building strategy. If we're going to spend a 2nd-3rd round pick every 3 years to keep the cheap backup QB pipeline intact, I can see the value in that. The alternative is to pay some stiff retread QB $3-5M+ per year, then spend god knows how much time making him unlearn 5 years of whatever ****ty coaching rendered him a replacement-level backup in the first place.

Far better to spent the pick, spend the $5m elsewhere on the roster, and get a promising asset that you can coach up within your system from the get-go. And if you can flip him after his third season for some draft capital, all the better.

Speaking of that, if Bradford being worth a 1 and a 4 is the current benchmark for the QB trade market, I might actually come around to Garoppolo being worth a 1st this offseason, provided that his next 3 starts are even passably decent.

Bradford is a known quality that pretty much defines mediocrity. Granted it was a panic trade by the Vikings, but FFS. With 3 more 'pretty good' (not even great) starts, Garoppolo will become a more attractive asset purely by virtue of having some actual upside.

Just in regard to Bradford.

6 out of 63 starts
The amount of games Bradford has had in his career with
250+ yards
1+ tds
0 ints

Jimmy is 1 for 1

Is post history shaming a thing now or has it always been and I just missed it?

Cause it's cringeworthy af

Yeah, all of us who dare to be draftniks know that we're going to be proven wrong sometimes -- make that most of the time. (After all, so are most GMs.) My original post was just intended to say that so far, it looks like the Pats chose pretty wisely.

Is post history shaming a thing now or has it always been and I just missed it?

Cause it's cringeworthy af
I think people need to be called out for their verbal outpourings, yes. Equally, people should take credit for prescient comments. What's wrong with that?

I think people need to be called out for their verbal outpourings, yes. Equally, people should take credit for prescient comments. What's wrong with that?

Because the idea of HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE on an internet discussion forum dedicated to a spectator sport is mildly insane to me.

But I suppose it highlights the gulf of difference in my viewpoint on what a forum like this should be about and what you uptight nerds have turned it into.

Because the idea of HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE on an internet discussion forum dedicated to a spectator sport is mildly insane to me.

But I suppose it highlights the gulf of difference in my viewpoint on what a forum like this should be about and what you uptight nerds have turned it into.
Try reddit. And the 'uptight nerds' comment is laughable - you're on an internet forum...

Edit: you put me 'ignore' for that? o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back