PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garnett -Done deal

Sleeping on the trade there's no way not to like the trade - yes anything's possible including injuries to 31/32 year old veterans - and the possibility of Jefferson being an elite player (we'd have to pay him like one if he stayed with no guarantee he would be) and the loss of Gomes potentially (I hate giving up the Minn. draft pick back to them - but it was lottery protected anyway)

But the bottom line is that the Celts just leaped from being a last place contender to first place contender - and that's not bad. Also it looks like Pierce, Allen and Garnett have some existing chemistry - which is a good thing as well.

For the next 5 years this looks like a trade that benefits the Celts - for years 5-10 its anyone's guess but seems like it will be in the T-Wolves best interest then.

As 2001 showed, I think if you give Belichick a shot at a Conference he'll gladly take it and worry about the final game(s) when he gets there.

Right - anything can happen in the Finals... Ainge has put the Celts in a position to have a relatively easy road to get to the Finals in the weak East...

He's also now created a situation where free agents over the next few years have gone from avoiding the Celtics like a plague, to wanting to play for a Championship contender. That counts for something too.

If I had any disposable income I might jump at season tickets right now while the prices are still decent and there's availabilty - I expect you'll see a big run on season tickets now too - not to mention the markeitng prospects for a once beloved team that has become irrelevant in this sports town over the last decade - though there still remains some memory of the glory years.

So while I couldn't care less how much salary and luxury tax the owners are paying, it seems to me its a worthwhile gamble for them that could still wind up making them more profit than had they stood pat.

All in all a good trade - definately short term for the celts - and potentially long term for them as well if they re-establish a championship organization - and potentially long-term for the T-Wolves as well.

There is no way the Celts get past the Spurs.

Why not? We just acquired one of the best players in the West, why can't we compete with the West, now?

This team has its sight set on a championship right now, and that's a pretty remarkable thing considering how bleak things were looking a couple months ago when the ping pong balls fell. People seem to be underestimating Garnett. He is one of the best five players in the NBA. He can dominate on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
There is no way the Celts get past the Spurs.

Not to argue with a view that the glass is 1/10th empty - but keeping the status quo makes us more competitive with the Spurs - and other teams, exactly HOW?

Perhaps, IF the Celts continue to vye for last place on a consistent basis, and there's a big man in college or high school that we MIGHT be able to pick up in the lottery in the next 5 years (no doubt requiring the #1 pick and the ping pong balls to fall our way) or so that will make us a contender with the Spurs as you seem to suggest, then MAYBE its unwise to trade some chips to become an instant contender now.

But that's a helluva lot of IFs and MAYBEs for my taste... certainly there's few difference-making players who would want to come to a consistent last place team... and of course any of those players are going to cost a lot of money anyways - requiring that we overpay for them.

So is Garnett expensive in terms of trade value - yes - but its a much better gamble than waiting for the lottery or other players who might or might not develop - and it puts us in a position to attract other free agents down the road.

Like I said I don't care how much luxury tax the owners have to pay - I just wnat the best team we can have. I give Ainge credit - this obviously isn't part of his "master plan" but there's too much out of a GM's control to fully implement a master plan anyways.

Best thing you can do is put yourself in a position to make deals for proven players to improve your team - and say what you want about Ainge but he's done exactly that.

Now some talk will certainly turn to Doc as the longterm coach. It probably should - I think Doc's perfect for a young team - but that for a veteran team that needs the best X&O's guy, we might need a change. I suspect he'll be there next year given his contract extension but if they don't go deep in the playoffs, he's gone.

Last edited:
This is an amazing day for the Celtics. Basketball is not Football. Quantity does not equal quality. And when you add players like Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett without having to give up Paul Pierce you have done a fantastic job!!

In the NBA today one all-star changes your team completely. look at every NBA blockbuster where a star is traded for numbers and the team that gets the star wins every time. Jefferson was potential but Celtic fans have been banking on young players for 20 years. You go for it when you can and Danny Ainge recovered from the ping pong disappointment with flying colors.

55 wins. And with the heat off, Paul Pierce can be all-world.

Agree with Lifer, you HAVE to make this deal and any GM would.

Surprised some guy called KG a SF..wow. Shows how little those in MA/Boston follow the NBA these days. KG is still one of the 10 best players in the world and PP/Allen are two of the 20 best.

My favorite logic I've heard is the whole "well we're gonna be terrible in the future", WHO CARES? We've been terrible for the past 15 years besides a couple good seasons, you have to roll the dice and make a move like this.

Jefferson is the only guy of any value we gave up, Green is just a raw athlete, the type of guy fans love but will probably never be more than a roleplayer in the league.

It's a gamble..a good gamble to get fannies into the Garden..to save his job..and to get into contention in the east..NOT saying much there. It's a big gamble beacuse if there is no banner..the team will go down teh drain even faster...NOW is the time...or?? waiting another decade.
Not sure 3 players can do it all though..especially when they have never played together..and don't even compare to the Big Three of the past....please!! That team had OTHER players and was deep. This team will live or die on how strong the cast of players is. One can have a few all stars but a championship teams needs to have complimentary players and backups and play defense. Tony ALlen's return is a key as well....but with 3 over 30 players, I do wonder about who will pick up the slack minutes wise..especially since so many players are gone. Those are just the concerns one may have. It's a gamble that pieces will be found quickly for if the team does not make it quick..another decade will go by.

The New Big 3 is here!

Official Celtics announcement:
http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press073107-garnett.html

Well who can help but get excited about this move?
It is risky going with older players, BUT the Celtics win big time in terms of getting proven veteran talent in here now.
Garnett brings so much to this team.
He has been the best rebounder in the league the past 4 years and he brings tough DEFENSE that has been sorely lacking.
C's become instant contenders with this move.
Now they just have to sign a couple of role players to round out the team and away we go!

This was a bold move Danny. I must admit that my faith was wavering, but now your plan has fully unfolded, and it's looking pretty darn good!

Everyone seems to be making a big deal out of the 7-1 trade - 5 players and 1 picks for Garnett.

If you ask me that says more about the modern watered down NBA than anything else. Some might disagree but I think there are too many teams for the basketball talent out there - and that years of taking chances on high school kids giving them guaranteed contracts are clogging up rosters rather than giving more seasoned college players a chance to compete.

What can't be argued is that for the most part, anything aside from the Top 5 - sometimes the Top 3 in the NBA draft is a crapshoot - and that there's about 10 guys on any roster who might as well all be journeymen.

That's part of why there's so much mediocrity in the NBA - in particular the eastern conference, and why it makes sense to make this trade and take advantage of that.

THAT's the real story - not a 7 for 1 trade.

Just wanted to drop by and say congrats on getting KG. Im happy for you guys. I know the Celts are a division rival of the Knicks but moves like this are finally bringing excitement and competition back to the east. Hopefully you guys can find a way to use the exception to get maybe a Brevin Knight or Chris Webber vet to give depth.

Right - anything can happen in the Finals... Ainge has put the Celts in a position to have a relatively easy road to get to the Finals in the weak East...

He's also now created a situation where free agents over the next few years have gone from avoiding the Celtics like a plague, to wanting to play for a Championship contender. That counts for something too.

If I had any disposable income I might jump at season tickets right now while the prices are still decent and there's availabilty - I expect you'll see a big run on season tickets now too - not to mention the markeitng prospects for a once beloved team that has become irrelevant in this sports town over the last decade - though there still remains some memory of the glory years.

So while I couldn't care less how much salary and luxury tax the owners are paying, it seems to me its a worthwhile gamble for them that could still wind up making them more profit than had they stood pat.

All in all a good trade - definately short term for the celts - and potentially long term for them as well if they re-establish a championship organization - and potentially long-term for the T-Wolves as well.

I have been considering buying the half season package...there have been plenty of seats available. Checked it out this morning and they are gone. So all in all I think the trade has gone over well in Boston. Full season packages are still available but I cannot afford those.

Surprised some guy called KG a SF..wow. Shows how little those in MA/Boston follow the NBA these days. KG is still one of the 10 best players in the world and PP/Allen are two of the 20 best.

My favorite logic I've heard is the whole "well we're gonna be terrible in the future", WHO CARES? We've been terrible for the past 15 years besides a couple good seasons, you have to roll the dice and make a move like this.

Jefferson is the only guy of any value we gave up, Green is just a raw athlete, the type of guy fans love but will probably never be more than a roleplayer in the league.

Excellent post.
KG has been on of the top 5-10 players in the league the past 10 years. His numbers are consistently high year after year.

Have been a fan of Ryan Gomes for a long time, followed him @ PC and he was a very good 7th man.. as much as I like this trade, aside from these three and Delonte West this team is not very deep.. today they have 11 on the roster including 2 unproven rookies.. I think they gave up too much.

This is an amazing day for the Celtics. Basketball is not Football. Quantity does not equal quality. And when you add players like Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett without having to give up Paul Pierce you have done a fantastic job!!

In the NBA today one all-star changes your team completely. look at every NBA blockbuster where a star is traded for numbers and the team that gets the star wins every time. Jefferson was potential but Celtic fans have been banking on young players for 20 years. You go for it when you can and Danny Ainge recovered from the ping pong disappointment with flying colors.

55 wins. And with the heat off, Paul Pierce can be all-world.
It is nice to read some common sense on this issue. Unfortunately, common sense ain't all that common these days.

Sure Al Jefferson had a solid 2nd half of the season last year... I just think people are going overboard by putting him in the Hall of Fame. I actually heard someone say on the radio yesterday they would rather have AJ for the next 8 years than win a championship this season. Gimme a break..!!

People need to stop worrying about what the Celtics are going to do in the year 2011. This was a fantastic trade that has literally overnight made the Celtics the favorites in Vegas to win the East.

It is nice to read some common sense on this issue. Unfortunately, common sense ain't all that common these days.

Sure Al Jefferson had a solid 2nd half of the season last year... I just think people are going overboard by putting him in the Hall of Fame. I actually heard someone say on the radio yesterday they would rather have AJ for the next 8 years than win a championship this season. Gimme a break..!!

People need to stop worrying about what the Celtics are going to do in the year 2011. This was a fantastic trade that has literally overnight made the Celtics the favorites in Vegas to win the East.

We all get so attached to players and also to POTENTIAL. I heard someone on the radio say a similar thing, that they would rather NOT win a championship over the next 5 seasons than have to give up Big Al.

Seriously folks, this team didn't have that much of a future even before these trades. Absolute best case scenario, every player pans out, every player re-signs, etc., I still think we struggle to compete in the future which already looks like it has a few teams/players ready to dominate on the horizon.

Let's face it: we were a team with a bunch of mid-to-late first rounders. WE WEREN'T THE ONLY TEAM DRAFTING OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. Every other team has been adding this type of talent, too, the difference is, in Boston, we had nothing else to cheer about so we made a huge deal about these guys.

Sure, Big Al and Green might turn into All-Star players at some point. But HOFers? Hell no. But that's what we got now.

Detractors of this trade and the direction Ainge have taken need some perspective.

We all get so attached to players and also to POTENTIAL. I heard someone on the radio say a similar thing, that they would rather NOT win a championship over the next 5 seasons than have to give up Big Al.

I love that type of talk:

"Sure, we may win a few championships over the next few years - but at what cost!?"

:rofl:

Las Vegas oddsmakers now haave the Celts as Favorites to win the Eastern Conference title at 5-2 and are 5-1 favorites to win the championship, behind only the Spurs, Suns and Mavericks.

Anything can happen, including injuries, but that's a trade worth making.

Last edited:
I love that type of talk:

"Sure, we may win a few championships over the next few years - but at what cost!?"

:rofl:

LOL, well said. Because obviously, it would be just brutal if we went ahead, competed for some titles and then had to rebuild. That's so much worse than continuing two decades of rebuilding for the offchance that we might be good enough to possibly think about contemplating a chance to compete for a title down the road.....:D

Have been a fan of Ryan Gomes for a long time, followed him @ PC and he was a very good 7th man.. as much as I like this trade, aside from these three and Delonte West this team is not very deep.. today they have 11 on the roster including 2 unproven rookies.. I think they gave up too much.

Instead of Delonte, you mean Rondo. We traded Delonte in the Ray Allen deal.

To the poster thinking KG is a classic PF or C, you're crazy. KG is more of a small forward, he does not have an elite back to the basket post-up game.

I agree with the point that superstars, more than in any other league, win in the NBA. And we now have three of them. But at the same time, OLD superstars don't go very far, especially ones that have never won anything significant in their pro careers.

As for the 'I'd rather have Big Al than win a championship next year' mocking, the situation is more like: 'I'd rather have Big Al for the next 10 years, than basically be an Eastern Conference Finalist for 2 years, and have no NBA championship'.

Last edited:
To the poster thinking KG is a classic PF or C, you're crazy. KG is more of a small forward, he does not have an elite back to the basket post-up game.

Are you honestly suggesting that KG can't play 4 for the Celts? The guy is one of the most versatile players in the game, can play 3-5, can post up, can shoot, can run the floor, can defend bigs...he is by and large classified as a "Power Forward" and will play that position extremely well for the Celtics, and in fact can play 5 when we need him to. So what is your point exactly?

Is Tim Duncan a classic PF/C? Not anymore than KG, but he's got plenty of hardware.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back