PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gameday Backup Center

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is Jake Andrews ready to play (and risk Mac's career)?

Until Jake is ready, I would think that we would need to elevate Russey or Ferentz each week. There is a 3 time limit. However, after 3, we could put someone on the 53- man roster, and he gets another 3 elevations after being waived.

I think that we have only 7 players worthy of being active: the starters plus Mafi and Sow (or Anderson if Sow starts).

The league allows an 8th OL that doesn't count against the Active Roster limit, so it makes sense to have a backup center active in every game.

I think they ride with Jake. Unless a guard can also snap too.

Does clearing waivers also clear a player's practice squad elevations limit?

I said this in the practice squad elevation thread, but it's hard to imagine them throwing Corral into the QB2 spot with so little time to get acclimated, and they're almost guaranteed to bring up an RB3. So my guess is they roll with Jake.

But that's the big question for them based on their current 53 man roster: Do they trust Corral as QB2 more than they trust Jake Andrews as backup C?

I said this in the practice squad elevation thread, but it's hard to imagine them throwing Corral into the QB2 spot with so little time to get acclimated, and they're almost guaranteed to bring up an RB3. So my guess is they roll with Jake.

But that's the big question for them based on their current 53 man roster: Do they trust Corral as QB2 more than they trust Jake Andrews as backup C?
it is easy enough to waive on of the new tackles, either of which would make the PS.

Last edited:

Until Jake is ready, I would think that we would need to elevate Russey or Ferentz each week. There is a 3 time limit. However, after 3, we could put someone on the 53- man roster, and he gets another 3 elevations after being waived.

I think that we have only 7 players worthy of being active: the starters plus Mafi and Sow (or Anderson if Sow starts).

The league allows an 8th OL that doesn't count against the Active Roster limit, so it makes sense to have a backup center active in every game.
Exactly how many OL have missed a block that ruined a QBs career? How many Cs?
Why the need to be so melodramatic?

I agree with everything, except I think they activate at least one of the new tackles in addition (or less likely both and not Sow).

IMO with three of the offensive lineman on the injury report, nine will be dressed, and one will be Ferentz.

I don't think they will trust young Andrews to run a banged up OL from center. Plus with two guards on the report, he will likely have to back up guard as well, and I don't think they are comfortable giving him so much responsibility right now. Or it could be Russey.

I think they have 8 active
Brown-STrange-Andrews-Onwenu-Anderson-Russey-Maffi-Lowe

I think they have 8 active
Brown-STrange-Andrews-Onwenu-Anderson-Russey-Maffi-Lowe
Russey is on the PS
Wheatley & Sow & J. Andrews are also on the 53 right now. We have 10 OL.
It would be surprising if all 10 remain on 53 by Sun. I think they need an extra RB (MonTy) and maybe WR if Parker is out (or Monty fills that too)

Russey is on the PS
It would be surprising if all 10 remain on 53 by Sun. I think they need an extra RB (MonTy) and maybe WR if Parker is out (or Monty fills that too)
yes I know, but they need an interior OL that can also play C. I do not think J Andrews is ready yet. Ferentz is not on the PS as far as I saw. that leaves Russey. I think they elevate him for the game. Wheatley and Sow are T's.
I think they have 8 OL active.
I agree they also elevate Montgomery.

I would be surprised if Parker ends up playing. 3 RB's. 3 TE's. 4 WR's. 8 OL. 2 QB's.

Russey is on the PS
How many WR's do you think need to be active? 4 is more than enough; 3 wight work if Montgomery is elevated.

If Russey or Ferentz is elevated, then Andrews won't be active.

2 can be elevated. If we elevate a Monty and a center, then no changes to the 53 is needed.
=====================
If we also want a QB elevated, then we will need to waive someone, probably a tackle.

Zeke's active. We're fine.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back