PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#FreeKendrickBourne -- Should Kendrick Bourne start against Steelers in Week2?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should Kendrick Bourne start against the Steelers in Week2?

• Yes, winning is the most important thing right now

Votes: 68 89.5%
  • No, Let him stay in BB's doghouse

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nelson is open a lot more than people give him credit for. He was really good in Oakland his last year, and he'd be excellent here if our offense were more dynamic.

If Agholor had been excellent last year, the offense would have been more dynamic.

Crazy stuff.

Are you always like this?
Asking for a clear answer to an easy question?

No - only when called wrong in having an opinion, but please go on with your inability to comprehend simplicity, drone another non-answer, then declare victory for having the last word.

That's the narrative, not the reality. BB's never sold out for a single season.
We lost a ton of talent after that Super Bowl and somehow were still strapped to the cap. That's selling out and really maximalizing the end.

Elandon Roberts, Trey Flowers, Gronkowski, Van Noy, Joe Thuney...

Couldn't pay any of these guys.

And we brought no one in.

We lost a ton of talent after that Super Bowl and somehow were still strapped to the cap. That's selling out and really maximalizing the end.

Elandon Roberts, Trey Flowers, Gronkowski, Van Noy, Joe Thuney...

Couldn't pay any of these guys.

And we brought no one in.

You still buy the "OMG! Cap!" nonsense?

If you get a top 15 pick, you can more easily get those premier players that become all-pros. Belichick often says those guys around 20 are graded the same as the guys at 40-50. So there always seems to be a big dropoff.
My point is that you can't pick bottom of the draft year after year, or lose premium picks to idiocy like Deflategate, and expect the roster to have All-Pros on it. It's hard to do. Even if you hit on your drafts, you might not get the difference makers.
I've posted this article a few times now:

1% of picks become legends. 7% become good enough to get a second contract with the team that signed them. 12% are good enough to start across multiple seasons. Then the dropoff really steepens. 11% average, with some starts across 2-3 seasons. Then, over two-thirds of draft picks are useless, cut immediately, or never make any meaningful contributions to the team that drafted them.

So, league-wide, only 20% of picks are good enough to become multi-year starters or better. Yet fans think their team should end up with multiple starters from a given draft class. It just doesn't work that way, especially if you are picking late in the round.

People's expectations of drafting are way out of whack with reality. They see one Justin Jefferson and complain we didn't pick him, yet getting that level of talent is literally a one in a hundred outcome.

People say "but he was a FIRST ROUNDER!" as if pick 32 is just as likely to be a legendary player as pick 1.

It's all a part of the hype machine that is the draft industrial complex.

Last edited:
I expected it.

It's not only the fans in the early 30 who are completely oblivious to what ALL other NFL teams encounter on down cycles. It's also that many of the older fans who lived through the pre-Belichick years have been spoiled by Brady and Belichick.

They really don't know what bad coaching is anymore.

We've had lots of people wanting to move on from Brady of 2019, or from McDaniels, and now Belichick.

Well the replacements were Cam Newton, our former DC, and probably a guy like Eric Bienemy.

They don't realize that the drop is huge.
I wanted to address this age difference thing after I recently watched a Netflix special on Woodstock.

In 1969 the concert had the 70ish crowd of today with the leading bands of their day performing. The whole weekend was a musical celebration of peace, love and understanding. In spite of the fact that nobody could have been prepared for what happened, it all went pretty well.

Jump ahead to 1999, when the 40ish crowd of today were there with their leading performers of the day. The whole weekend was a celebration of groping, rage and rape. In spite of the fact that there was a previous history of the event to learn from, it all ended up in a destructive riot.

I know that doesn't define us as Pats fans because of our ages now, but it sure shows an example of Bob Dylan's line... times they are a changin'

You still buy the "OMG! Cap!" nonsense?
sigh.

Why do you persist with this totally simplistic thinking?

Everyone knows how the cap works? It's not difficult. You don't need to explain it to us.

Teams can and do maximalize for future years by taking hits in strategic years. Which is what the Patriots did 3 years ago. They saw an old team. They saw that they could eat up a lot of money by taking the hit, and they knew that they would be bringing in a heap of new players, so there was ABSOLUTELY no point in pushing money into the future.

But they did go all out in 2018. They brought in guys on relatively short money, like Cordarelle Patterson, Danny Shelton, Jason McCourty, Trent Brown, but they reupped with Gilmore, Hightower, Shaq Mason. Almost none of that money (except for Gilmore's) hung up the Patriots 2 years later when they signed all the FAs. That was BECAUSE they took the hit in 2019

I wanted to address this age difference thing after I recently watched a Netflix special on Woodstock.

In 1969 the concert had the 70ish crowd of today with the leading bands of their day performing. The whole weekend was a musical celebration of peace, love and understanding. In spite of the fact that nobody could have been prepared for what happened, it all went pretty well.

Jump ahead to 1999, when the 40ish crowd of today were there with their leading performers of the day. The whole weekend was a celebration of groping, rage and rape. In spite of the fact that there was a previous history of the event to learn from, it all ended up in a destructive riot.

I know that doesn't define us as Pats fans because of our ages now, but it sure shows an example of Bob Dylan's line... times they are a changin'

that was capitalism at work.......they wrecked the event in the name of (extreme) profit......the documentary was pretty telling

sigh.

Why do you persist with this totally simplistic thinking?

Everyone knows how the cap works? It's not difficult. You don't need to explain it to us.

Apparently I do, since you made a false claim based upon the cap.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back