PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Wishlist

It’s astonishing that we’re the only fanbase n the league that still thinks rebuilds take 3+ years.
I'm being overly optimistic. It usually take about 5 (and that's if the decisions made actually pan out).

Last edited:
For someone to target in FA:

Antoine Winfield Jr. would be someone I’d write a blank check towards.
He would definitely fill a need and be a quality player for the D. I'm not yet certain as to how much we should give him though. But, I'm totally am on-board with wanting to sign him as you do.

Don't get the hype for Higgins. He's good - in stretches, when healthy, and surrounded by guys like Chase.

Let's get Pittman Jr - and pair him with Bourne, Pop, and draft a 2nd rounder like Coleman or Legette.
Leggette, at 6'3 and 227 pounds who runs a reported 4.30 40 (which if even close is amazing). And if he can run routes like A.J. Brown, would be a taller and faster A.J. Brown. I would definitely have him on short list at WR in the draft (especially if he tests and interviews well). Speed is great to have, but, if like other speedsters drafted over the years, they can't run routes and get open, have proven to be failures. So, better to take someone who has the build and can run routes and get open and catch the ball, but might run only in the 4.5's (like A.J. Brown), than a speedster who can't do the aforementioned (like Thornton, who also is also rail thin).

What a year Ridley had. :cool:
Cousins,
DT Chris Jones could be in play. Big dollars? He's only 29. Pair him with Barmore? I know we are searching for offense but what an add he would make. His number might be in the low $20's.Is he worth it?
If we lose Dugger , how about Budda Baker?
Still think we can make a package deal with the Broncos to move down.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

Unfortunately, this Free Agent Class isn't very good. The Pats can spend spend spend all they want but it's not going to net them all that much.
True. Better off franchising Henry, signing dugger and trying to convince owenu but looks doubtful. Also try to bring back Bourne.

They need a veteran QB as a placeholder

Is your data from the 70’s? Look at how bad Detroit was two years ago, compared to now.
So, if I say 3 years, I'm optimistic, but if I say 5 years I'm also wrong. I guess you can't please everyone, nor do I care about doing so.

Leggette, at 6'3 and 227 pounds who runs a reported 4.30 40 (which if even close is amazing). And if he can run routes like A.J. Brown, would be a taller and faster A.J. Brown. I would definitely have him on short list at WR in the draft (especially if he tests and interviews well). Speed is great to have, but, if like other speedsters drafted over the years, they can't run routes and get open, have proven to be failures. So, better to take someone who has the build and can run routes and get open and catch the ball, but might run only in the 4.5's (like A.J. Brown), than a speedster who can't do the aforementioned (like Thornton, who also is also rail thin).

What does it matter if you don't have anyone at OT??

Shoring up the O-line is the number 1 priority. Without that, it doesn't matter what else you have on offense.

What does it matter if you don't have anyone at OT??

Shoring up the O-line is the number 1 priority. Without that, it doesn't matter what else you have on offense.
We need both. O-line to protect the QB and open holes for the RB's, and weapons at the receiver positions (WR and/or TE). Different teams have had success doing it different ways, but, we do need both. Some of out best OT's were taken in round 2 and after (and even if taken in round 1, we need competent O-Line coaching).

Is your data from the 70’s? Look at how bad Detroit was two years ago, compared to now.
Detroit also traded for a franchise QB who resurrected his career. Get me one of them, not to mention their line is good

We need both. O-line to protect the QB and open holes for the RB's, and weapons at the receiver positions (WR and/or TE). Different teams have had success doing it different ways, but, we do need both. Some of out best OT's were taken in round 2 and after (and even if taken in round 1, we need competent O-Line coaching).

In the last 22yrs, our LTs have been Light (2nd), Solder (1st), Brown (trade), Wynn (1st), Brown (trade). RT has been a little more flexible because it doesn't require quite as much athleticism.

Love the mention of spending cash!

Seeing this quote I wanted to start a free agency thread where people can post who they want to target with the cash they are going to spend.

I’d like to see them retain Onwenu, Dugger and Uche. At receiver any of the top free agents who don’t get tagged should be in play (Higgins, Ridley, Evans, Pittman). The OT class is kind of weak but I’d like to see quality veterans brought in.

Even though DT and corner aren’t exactly needs, the free agent classes at those positions are really strong. If they strike out on offense I would mind seeing the Pats go after Wilkins and Sneed to make the defense elite (then of course I’d want them to use every single draft pick on offense).

As long as they aren't going "full throttle...."

Detroit also traded for a franchise QB who resurrected his career. Get me one of them, not to mention their line is good
... and they've been rebuilding for 30 years since their last playoff appearance

They've been a quick turnaround. A lot of times a new regime takes over for a team that's been really bad in recent years. So even if it only takes that new regime a few years to get things on track, a lot of times they're still falling back on the holdovers from the team picking high a bunch of years before. That's why I think our rebuild will have to be on the longer side. We don't have any cornerstones to built the program around. We're basically starting from scratch.

Lions deserve a lot of credit because feels like that team has really done most/all of the heavy lifting in the past few years. That will be tough to replicate for sure.

What a year Ridley had. :cool:
That was my point. He disappointed after looking like he was going to have a big year week one, so he will likely be willing to sign a one-year prove it deal. Worth taking the chance that he was just shaking the rust off last year.

As an aside, Mayo you probably could have used better language than burning through cash….How about being willing to spend aggressively to try to sign their free agent targets. :)

Don't get the hype for Higgins. He's good - in stretches, when healthy, and surrounded by guys like Chase.

Let's get Pittman Jr - and pair him with Bourne, Pop, and draft a 2nd rounder like Coleman or Legette.

I just really like the complimentary potential of Higgins' skill set vs. Pittman. Higgins is one of those guys who plays outside the numbers and will keep the safety back. Not only does he give you his own production, but he impacts coverage in a way that's going to open things up for others. Even while he benefits from the attention that a guy like Chase draws, I also think he opens things up for Chase at the same time.

I'd love, love, LOVE to sign Higgins and draft MHJ at #3. Then you got Pop Douglas in the slot, find a pass-catching RB to compliment Stevenson as a early down guy that can also catch a bit, and find a good in-line TE that can make the occasional play down the seam and now I think you've got the pieces you need for a QB to come in and have success. Skill position wise of course - still need to fix the OL.

That was my point. He disappointed after looking like he was going to have a big year week one, so he will likely be willing to sign a one-year prove it deal. Worth taking the chance that he was just shaking the rust off last year.

As an aside, Mayo you probably could have used better language than burning through cash….How about being willing to spend aggressively to try to sign their free agent targets. :)
I expected Ridley to have a down year this past season. It’s rare for a player to miss an entire year unrelated to injury and not take a hit to his production. I expect a bounce back year from him.
Cousins,
DT Chris Jones could be in play. Big dollars? He's only 29. Pair him with Barmore? I know we are searching for offense but what an add he would make. His number might be in the low $20's.Is he worth it?
If we lose Dugger , how about Budda Baker?
Still think we can make a package deal with the Broncos to move down.
Thoughts?
DW Toys
Chris Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins, Leonard Williams and DJ Reader are all big names that could help turn the d line into a force.

Justin Madubuike would be an interesting candidate. Having him and Barmore inside sets you up to be a pass rushing force inside, which is tougher on most QBs vs. edge rushing. And if you go that route defensively, it could compliment us well with run stuffing ILBs like Bentley/Tavani and heavy edge setters like White/Jennings (hoping to re-sign). Not even to mention Judon of course.

I like the idea of building the pass rush from the inside at the DT spot and then building around them with run stuffers at ILB and on the edge. A lot of these mobile QBs just step up and around the edge rushers but DTs barreling in on them is still a problem for even the best. Historically, teams will look for pass rushing on the edge and then go for run stuffers inside, with some pass rush threats as situational guys inside. I kind of like flipping the script there and going pass rushers inside and run fits for the rest of the front 7.

There are some elite players at edge and DT but most seem destined to be franchised. I would throw a lot of money at Wilkins, to pair with Barmore. Local kid who bet on himself this year and it payed off…showed that he can get to the QB, along with being an elite run stuffer. Based upon a recent press conference, Grier is going to let him test the FA waters. Winfield would fill a big FS hole but he, too, will likely be franchised.

One other guy on defense is Frankie Luvu, LB from Carolina.
Wilkins and Luvu would be amazing additions
a three DT Lineup with barmore godchaux and wilkins with judon/white/jennings is crazy

i love Luvu, he doesn't get the attention like other LB but he plays some damn good football
  1. Sadly, the pickings on offense are slim. If he isn’t franchised, Higgins is the obvious guy to target. Pittman would be an upgrade but some of his stat geek trends are a bit worrisome. I’m intrigued by Ridley, not because he didn’t disappoint this year but because he likely won’t be that expensive and there’s a chance that he just needed a year to get his NFL legs back under him, after missing a full year.
Akeler is exactly the type of running back that they need, but he would have to become much more realistic in terms of his salary.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back