PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Frank Clark: Patriots Dynasty Dead...Chiefs "New Dynasty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only problem with this is why bring the Patriots up at all? It's not like it was the chiefs that ended our season. I mean maybe if they had come to foxboro and knocked us out then I could see that being an outlier in 20 years of domination but it felt more like 2009 (just an off year with an early exit) where BB and crew took the extra time to retool and nail the draft setting up the next 10 years. So IMO the only thing he should be saying in regards to the Pat's is thanks Titans.

On top of that, maybe they should be thanking the Titans for doing the dirty work of taking out the Ravens. I don't necessarily think the Chiefs would have been able to do so.

As soon as a team wins, they all start this Dynasty talk !! We shall see what happens. I don’t remember the Patriots talking like that after SB 36 !

Yep, all the dynasty talks reminds me of people who get married for the third or fourth time, at the "Chapel of Love" in Las Vegas, and say this one is going last !!!!

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown Frank.

I think a reporter asked him if the Chiefs were going to be a dynasty like the Patriots. He said something like "we took care of the Patriots earlier in the year. We're not going to be like them. We're going to be our own dynasty."

Ok that’s not nearly as bad as the headline which, shame on me, is the only thing I read. That’s more like nah we are the chiefs not the patriots which is a fine view point to have. Could have done without the we took care of them earlier in the year when that game was SO poorly refed I can’t believe he honestly thinks they won fair and square but in the grand scheme of things that is mild trash talk at best.

Ok that’s not nearly as bad as the headline which, shame on me, is the only thing I read. That’s more like nah we are the chiefs not the patriots which is a fine view point to have. Could have done without the we took care of them earlier in the year when that game was SO poorly refed I can’t believe he honestly thinks they won fair and square but in the grand scheme of things that is mild trash talk at best.
Jerome Boger took care of them earlier in the year

the seahawks were supposed to be a dynasty too...look what happened there. Also, mahomes is playing on his rookie deal. its easy to surround him with elite talent...and even then his defense is suspect.

what happens when the chiefs pay him 40million and he doesn't have the weapons he has now?

Somebody give Frank Ricky Proehl's phone number...

imagine rooting for a team that has frank clark and tyreek hill on it

This is somewhat ironic, coming from Frank Clark. He's a UFA and the Chiefs have $16.1 M in cap space, with other FAs to sign, plus a new deal for Mahomes. He probably has a better chance of playing for the Patriots next year than KC.

You both make a similar (and fair) point that the word has changed from what the original meaning was. I guess I would push to try to put it back to that original meaning, because a dynasty should truly be an historic thing and not something that’s handed out for a short run of excellence, even one that includes Super Bowls.

In fact, if you asked me in 2005, I would have said that the patriots were not a dynasty yet, but a team that had a great four-year run like Dallas in the 90s. But not a dynasty. To put a number on it, I think a dynasty has to extend for at least a decade.
Hypothetical - Asante picks off the ball in SB 42 and takes it to the house. 4 in 7 years, would that qualify for you at that point? With an AFC Championship loss in 2006 included in the 7 year period?

One thing to add about Dallas in the 90s is that it wasn’t just 3 out of 4, but they lost in the NFCCG in 1994 during an era where that was pretty much the SB. Everyone knew the best teams in the NFL were the 49ers and Cowboys that year and the AFC had no chance; the 49ers subsequent demolition of the Chargers proved that (final score didn’t indicate how truly lopsided that game was).

Hypothetical - Asante picks off the ball in SB 42 and takes it to the house. 4 in 7 years, would that qualify for you at that point? With an AFC Championship loss in 2006 included in the 7 year period?

One thing to add about Dallas in the 90s is that it wasn’t just 3 out of 4, but they lost in the NFCCG in 1994 during an era where that was pretty much the SB. Everyone knew the best teams in the NFL were the 49ers and Cowboys that year and the AFC had no chance; the 49ers subsequent demolition of the Chargers proved that (final score didn’t indicate how truly lopsided that game was).
Yep, those Dallas teams were outstanding… hell, they won a Super Bowl with Barry Switzer.

As for the Pats, I really just think it’s a function of time. I don’t even think they had to win the 2007 Super Bowl...year after year of excellence in addition to the Super Bowls already won does the trick.

I realize it gets silly at a certain point, you can’t say an exact number of years because then someone’s gonna say, how about one year less? One year more? My point is I think we should err on the side of making dynasties as rare as possible, because really that’s what they are, and should be.

Blah Blah Blah, who cares ? He's a champion, he can say what he wants, but like others are saying, they will be the hunted next season. I like that the Patriots are still in their heads though, should make next season's matchup a fun one.
Ha, I wish a dollar for every talking head that has said something like that over the years. Funny, I remember all the talking heads saying how the Bears were going to be the greatest dynasty ever after SB XX. How did that work out? I could go on and on. Every time some new young buck wins something, they start the circle jerks like this. KC and Pat Mahomes is going to find out starting next year, it is a whole new mind set, when you are now the "hunted" instead of a hunter.
Bailey Howell, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward who was a five-time All-Star nearing the end of his career, arrived in Boston just in time to see the Celtics' eight-year reign atop the NBA end. But he was determined to bring a title back to Boston after Philadelphia's triumph in 1967.

"Everywhere we went, especially in Philadelphia, they had a chant: `Boston's dead. Boston's dead. The dynasty is over,'" Howell said. "Everywhere we went, the fans were real vocal. But it just made you more determined, really. It helped you to play. When you get some help like that from opposing fans, it's really a lift."
bb9161.jpg

Money is going to get tight in KC as Mahoney rookie deal is coming to an end.

Patriots fans - The AFC sucks
Patriots fans - Lamar Jackson is a gimmick who gets figured out in the playoffs
Patriots fans - The Patriots need to let Brady go and rebuild

Also Patriots fans - KC isn't going to be a dynasty, because .... ???

rofl.gif

Because there have been a tiny handful of "dynasties" in the NFL over the years. And many many great QBs haven't won any Super Bowls, or "only" one or two. But not enough to be considered a "dynasty". The Chiefs have a LONG LONG way to go to get to dynasty status, and it will get markedly harder once they're paying Mahomes $40 million a year.

Next year will be a huge problem though, because I think KC has let it be known that they're gonna let next year play out and *then* try to extend Mahomes, so next year they'll be operating with a ton of cap space, and they're already damned good.

Just keep in mind though, that the Patriots *should* have beaten them in Foxboro. They got completely screwed by the refs. I just talked today to a huge Chiefs fan and congratulated him and he of course is on cloud nine. We then talked about the Patriots (he asked me what I thought was their outlook next year) and I said that the Pats were really the only team to give Mahomes-led KC any problems this year and he said - I didn't say it, he said it as a Chiefs fan - that the Pats got royally screwed in that game and should have won.

It's just really really really really hard to win a single Super Bowl, never mind multiple. As good as Mahomes is (and he's incredible), the odds are very much against KC having a "dynasty".

Why would Mahomes not ask for a new deal right now? Or he can't demand for it? Seems silly to waste a prime year earning peanuts

Why would Mahomes not ask for a new deal right now? Or he can't demand for it? Seems silly to waste a prime year earning peanuts

We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Chiefs should be able to continue fitting him in at a low cap hit for 2 years minimum.

The Chiefs are among those with the least amount of cap space.

That's cute trying to have one.

-Pats with Two, SB 36, 38, 39 & 49, 51, 53 And a M.Butler away from 3 in a row, YO!

Really great read here...isn’t biased and puts blame on both Rodgers and McCarthy. Probably more pro-Rodgers than a lot of stuff but seems like the writer is trying to be balanced in telling the story. It’s funny because the writer (article was written last May) compares the early 2010s Packers to the dynasty Warriors, which is what people are saying about KC. In addition, Rodgers described as most talented quarterback ever (though there is plenty of other stuff that isn’t so flattering.) A lot of similarities between Packers and Chiefs.

If you combine this and the article about the Seahawks breakup (defensive players grew resentful of Wilson’s celebrity/credit), they both show the same issues. It’s all fun and great when you’re dominating, you can afford dominating players, your scheme and talent haven’t been figured out yet, etc. Then you start losing and things get chippy. Egos clash. Failure to make adjustments and adapt. The major faces of the team think they deserve more appreciation.

What Happened in Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes