PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise/Transition Tag

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Teams can start placing franchise tag on players on February 23. Who gets tagged? Does patriots tag thuney again? We have the cap and we can trade him.

Teams can start placing franchise tag on players on February 23. Who gets tagged? Does patriots tag thuney again? We have the cap and we can trade him.
I gotta think they tag him and worst case trade him before/during the draft.

The $1m question(s) is what they do with Butler and JC. Extension? Tender 1st rounder? Trade?

I gotta think they tag him and worst case trade him before/during the draft.

The $1m question(s) is what they do with Butler and JC. Extension? Tender 1st rounder? Trade?
JC is sure fire 1 round tender (cost them only 4.5m or something like that, hes worth that amount for sure and if someone wants him, pats can decide to take the first round pick of the aquiring team too)
so he cannot demand Gilmore money already, because I sense he/his agent will try

I think that if the Pats and Thuney can’t come to an agreement, they will let him walk. I think the tag last year was to try and come to a long term deal, but also to push his comp pick off another year, as the Pats had so many UFAs last year that they were at the 4 comp pick limit.

Thuney should get a big contract most likely a third rd comp pick, 4th at a minimum.

I think that if the Pats and Thuney can’t come to an agreement, they will let him walk. I think the tag last year was to try and come to a long term deal, but also to push his comp pick off another year, as the Pats had so many UFAs last year that they were at the 4 comp pick limit.

Thuney should get a big contract most likely a third rd comp pick, 4th at a minimum.

Where the market is will be extremely interesting. They may be betting that the market isn't there. I bet Thuney's agent then would look in the 2 year range.

Tagging Thuney would be how much? 17-18m?

Too much, unless they think they can work out a deal.

I don't think the Pats can afford to tag Thuney. What if he drives into Gillette to sign the FT? At that point, we would be unable to rescind the FT. We paid him ~14M last year....and he would be line for a 20% increase which is ~16.8M... and would affect our ability to re-sign Andrews.

Yes, put a high tender on J.C. Jackson.

JC is sure fire 1 round tender (cost them only 4.5m or something like that, hes worth that amount for sure and if someone wants him, pats can decide to take the first round pick of the aquiring team too)
so he cannot demand Gilmore money already, because I sense he/his agent will try
I don't think it's a slam-dunk he signs it immediately.

I’d do a tag and trade immediately to a team even if we get a third
Who would give a 3rd for a one year deal at $17M? Since that would be guaranteed to Thuney, any new contract would start at that floor for 2021.

Tagging Thuney would be how much? 17-18m?

Too much, unless they think they can work out a deal.
Why would we make the same mistake as we did last year? Gilmore would call his agent to verify the franchise tag, and then immediately sign to guarantee $17M for 2021. Sure, he would be willing to negotiate, as long as it is understood that negotiations start with $17M for his 2021 services.

Tag Thuney

Assuming a long deal cant be consummated, then trade for a 2021 pick. Only a few teams dont need OL. Pats need draft picks now.

Who would give a 3rd for a one year deal at $17M? Since that would be guaranteed to Thuney, any new contract would start at that floor for 2021.
The best deal is for Thuney to refuse to sign the tag in agreement that NE would trade him asap. Thuney is still a Patriot and I would have to believe that he has been in some sort of recent discussion with the Pats about 2021.

Thuney cant play for anyone else so NE controls his rights and Thuney is more marketable without a 17 mil anchor around his neck.

I don't think the Pats can afford to tag Thuney. What if he drives into Gillette to sign the FT? At that point, we would be unable to rescind the FT. We paid him ~14M last year....and he would be line for a 20% increase which is ~16.8M... and would affect our ability to re-sign Andrews.

Yes, put a high tender on J.C. Jackson.
Thuney is 28 and has never missed a game plus he commits very few penalties. Joe Thuney Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

If Thuney just walks away and NE prays for a 3rd compensatory pick, then Belichick has lost it. Seriously. The Pats may get nothing in return for a Pro Bowl Guard depending on the amount of FAs that NE signs in 2021.

Tag Thuney

Assuming a long deal cant be consummated, then trade for a 2021 pick. Only a few teams dont need OL. Pats need draft picks now.
What's he worth when he'd be going for 17-18million for one year guaranteed?

Asking seriously.

I hope they work out a long term deal.

What's he worth when he'd be going for 17-18million for one year guaranteed?

Asking seriously.

I hope they work out a long term deal.
17 million or more in signing bonus is the same thing.

Thuney would get the money guaranteed and right now. Plus, Thuney would get 2021 salary and likely other incentives and some kind of job security though I use that term loosely. The Pats spread his signing bonus out instead of it hitting the cap all this season.

Hopefully Thuney is the good soldier and thats the way this goes.

Can you tag him , pay a signing bonus that does not get carried to new team and trade him for say a second rounder to a team which has a need but not the financial resources.

Again , I am a complete novice in this. So say we eat 4 million of his cap for 2021 and trade him for 2nd rounder to someone for 13 million.

Tag Thuney

How many are willing to pay an OL $17M for one year?

How many are willing to pay an OL $17M for one year?
How many top rated Guards are out there who have never missed a game in 5 years?

A 17 million dollar signing bonus is the same thing as the 1 year Tag. Thuney should not sign the tag so NE has time to keep him or trade to a team and at least get a guaranteed 3rd round pick this draft.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back