PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FoxSports says what Pats fans have been saying about Deflategate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to take them 2 months?

They could (and probably should) issue a very brief decision affirming the SDNY decision shortly after oral argument but that doesn't exhaust the appeals process. A unanimous affirmation by CA2 would mean the end of the road for the league for all practical purposes.

Probably more. Appeals courts are notoriously slow in issuing opinions. They will not rule from the bench, even if it's clear they are going to affirm Berman.

They still got it wrong. They say the Pats shouldn't be penalized for what the equipment guy did.

They should say that "the Pats shouldn't be penalized because NOTHING HAPPENED".

The real story is this disturbing trend of making false accusations for political purposes that our culture seems to be embracing. Deflategate, Making a Murderer, and the recent brouhaha with that Game of Thrones actress-http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/12/mark-pearson-preposterous-sexual-assault-actress_n_9217484.html

This is a trend that desperately needs to be reversed. I can think of nothing more malicious than falsely accusing someone of a crime and/or dragging an innocent person's reputation through the mud for political gain.

In the criminal context, I would support a law for anyone convicted of making a false criminal complaint against someone to receive a mandatory maximum sentence that the falsely accused person would have received if convicted.

Chris Chase? Is this the same guy who wrote for USA Today? If it's the same person, that guy was a 100% deflategate believer. Now he's claiming the Patriots should get their first round pick back? Either pick a side and maintain it or explain why you switched positions.

Yeah that USA Today Chris Chase was a troll. If its the same guy, then this article is just click bait.

Of course I agree we should get the first round pick back, but the rest of the article was bunk. It's really disappointing to know this guy used to teach children.

Roger compared the violation to a PED bust....no team has ever lost picks due to a PED bust.

Last edited:

Well, IIRC it's been at least 6 months since the Peterson oral arguments were held and the 8th Circuit panel that has the case still hasn't issued its ruling.

I doubt that the decision comes down before the draft. Possible but not likely.

Even then, the league will just ask for an "en banc" hearing and cert. from the POTUS (which would be grasping at straws but they can still claim that the matter is open).

I think you mean SCOTUS not POTUS..

My only hope was that the appeals process would be over before draft so Pats could justifiably ask for that pick back but since the process will extend into summer, the draft will have come and gone and the Pats will have truly lost the pick for good.

Roger compared the violation to a PED bust....no tea has ever lost picks due to a PED bust.

And no team ever will. Within the next 6-7 months, we're going to see multiple players suspensions for using banned substances. Does anyone think that the Falcons, Bill, and Texans (just throwing some names out there) are going to be docked draft picks, as well?

And no team ever will. Within the next 6-7 months, we're going to see multiple players suspensions for using banned substances. Does anyone think that the Falcons, Bill, and Texans (just throwing some names out there) are going to be docked draft picks, as well?

No but low-level employees didn't execute on deflating footballs per the order of Brady.:rolleyes:

Chris Chase? Is this the same guy who wrote for USA Today? If it's the same person, that guy was a 100% deflategate believer. Now he's claiming the Patriots should get their first round pick back? Either pick a side and maintain it or explain why you switched positions.

Yeah, its another article by Chase. I've actually just stopped reading his stuff, which is too bad because I like the guy in person (I know him personally). He's actually a rather nice dude...I just think he's writing what his masters tell him to. Though his trolling can be a bit annoying.....guess its part of the job.

For attention and page clicks. Next question.

If the Pats want their pick back here is my opinion on what they should do. Challenge the NFL . IMO, the balls were deflated due to the ideal gas law. According to BB, the Pats ran simulations of such occurrence after the 2015 AFCC and found similar results. So put the NFL on the spot. Challenge to run the same type of experiment (you know the type the NFL claimed they were going to do during the season but changed things after they found out the results and refused to release any data, that one). Do it in the same type of conditions as in the AFCC and have lawyers and representatives for both the Pats and the NFL present for fairness. If the balls show a deflation similar to the AFCC then the Pats gets their picks and fine back. Id be tempted to claim the Pats should receive extra compensation, but I'd be happy with the picks back, the NFL stating they were wrong and redemption for the Pats and Brady. And if they balls do not deflate then the Pats give up their 2017 1st round pick as well. I think a challenge like this from the Pats would have the entire anti Pats media and NFL personal itching to punish the Pats more and would really show their bias. I think the pressure would be squarely on the NFL to take the Pats up on their challenge cuz there is still a strong majority that feel the Pats cheated and are arrogant.

I don't think the NFL would ever do this. Even now I think they realize that the Pats didn't tamper with the balls. Even Goodell now says its not about the Pats breaking the rules its about the NFL having the right to do whatever they want to do.

99.9% of people outside of Patriots Nation (defined as New England north of New Haven and denizens of this Board) are 100% convinced that "somebody" did "something" to those balls. Whenever I try to make the IGL argument to people outside of Patriots Nation I get (depending on their natural politeness) anything from a roll of the eyes and a change of the subject to a stream of invective.

So, the author didn't have to be a Profile in Courage to write that article:
He pointed out that Goodell overreached his authority, as Judge Berman found.
He observed that a Number One pick is too much in the context of other penalties and should be reduced.
He continues to maintain that the Patriots "cheated" and Brady should have been suspended (though he doesn't say for four games).

My take is that it's "nice" that people are, to some small degree at least, turning on Goodell and starting to "get it" that a number one is over the top, but I'm not holding my breath that people will start listening to reason on the underlying "crime" anytime soon.

If the Pats want their pick back here is my opinion on what they should do. Challenge the NFL . IMO, the balls were deflated due to the ideal gas law. According to BB, the Pats ran simulations of such occurrence after the 2015 AFCC and found similar results. So put the NFL on the spot. Challenge to run the same type of experiment (you know the type the NFL claimed they were going to do during the season but changed things after they found out the results and refused to release any data, that one). Do it in the same type of conditions as in the AFCC and have lawyers and representatives for both the Pats and the NFL present for fairness. If the balls show a deflation similar to the AFCC then the Pats gets their picks and fine back. Id be tempted to claim the Pats should receive extra compensation, but I'd be happy with the picks back, the NFL stating they were wrong and redemption for the Pats and Brady. And if they balls do not deflate then the Pats give up their 2017 1st round pick as well. I think a challenge like this from the Pats would have the entire anti Pats media and NFL personal itching to punish the Pats more and would really show their bias. I think the pressure would be squarely on the NFL to take the Pats up on their challenge cuz there is still a strong majority that feel the Pats cheated and are arrogant.

I don't think the NFL would ever do this. Even now I think they realize that the Pats didn't tamper with the balls. Even Goodell now says its not about the Pats breaking the rules its about the NFL having the right to do whatever they want to do.

Good thoughts but you are right. Goodell is on record as saying that they league did it's "study" in the Wells Report (which accounts for Exponent's version of IGL) and considers the matter closed.

If the ruling comes after the draft and upholds lower court's decision, I will be very disappointed in RK if he doesn't demand that the Patriots receive the #29 pick in the 2017 draft.

the picks are gone...nothing kraft can or will do.

our ownership lied down like dogs. bob/his son are both gutless cowards.

the picks are gone...nothing kraft can or will do.

our ownership lied down like dogs. bob/his son are both gutless cowards.

It's not too late for the Krafts to redeem themselves. They need to hire some good pr company to run a campaign to get this issue out there between now and the draft, make it a big deal in the court of public opinion that the Pats got shafted. The first thing I would put out there is "the refs handle the ball every play and they didn't notice anything wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3