For the old timers here...."LeaperGATE":

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am well versed in my Patriots history from the AFL/Babe Parrill/Fairbanks era....I started mostly watching in the Raymond Berry/Stanley Morgan/Andre Tippet era....so I only know what I have read over the years.

And I just came across this yesterday.: LeaperGATE

Apparently, on November 3rd, 1961 the Dallas Texans (now Chiefs) were on the Patriots' 3 yard line trailing 21-28 with enough time for one final play. The play prior to that, they executed a flea flicker to put the ball down on the 3 yard line...and fans had swarmed the field thinking the game was over. But the refs had people get off the field for the last play. Apparently, an unknown Pats fan slipped into the secondary and deflected the final pass before disappearing into the crowd, LOL. And the Pats held on to win.... there is even a video of it, but it shows a TD before the play in question....

And here's a link to the story from a book called, "Pro Football Hall Of Shame".

=======================

Any old timers here who remember this?

Looked like snow plow guy to me.....

And who was the ref that didn’t call 12 men on the field?

I am well versed in my Patriots history from the AFL/Babe Parrill/Fairbanks era....I started mostly watching in the Raymond Berry/Stanley Morgan/Andre Tippet era....so I only know what I have read over the years.

And I just came across this yesterday.: LeaperGATE

Apparently, on November 3rd, 1961 the Dallas Texans (now Chiefs) were on the Patriots' 3 yard line trailing 21-28 with enough time for one final play. The play prior to that, they executed a flea flicker to put the ball down on the 3 yard line...and fans had swarmed the field thinking the game was over. But the refs had people get off the field for the last play. Apparently, an unknown Pats fan slipped into the secondary and deflected the final pass before disappearing into the crowd, LOL. And the Pats held on to win.... there is even a video of it, but it shows a TD before the play in question....

And here's a link to the story from a book called, "Pro Football Hall Of Shame".

=======================

Any old timers here who remember this?

I was there but memory fails.

Go Pats

If I am not mistaken urban legend has it that it amazingly was not Joker, but was in fact his illegitimate long lost distant Uncle Billy Sullivan.

Crazy moments in NFL history: Fan runs on the field and joins Patriots defense

Dallas quarterback Cotton Davidson threw into the end zone from the 1-yard line for wide receiver Chris Burford. Fans standing on the field had crowded five deep around the perimeter of the end zone, and one — reputedly wearing a trench coat – suddenly leapt forward and swatted at the ball.

"Then all the fans rushed the field and it was like everyone wasn’t sure what they saw," Larry Eisenhauer, a Patriots defensive end in the 1960s, told the Times. "But we watched the film on Monday and we saw this guy jump from the crowd and knock it down."

For years thereafter, Patriots owner Billy Sullivan, who was commonly seen in a London Fog-style trench coat, was rumored to be the Patriots’ 12th man on the play. Famously, Sullivan never denied it.

What is amazing about this is that the only person on the field who noticed the guy was Cotton Davidson. The refs didn't see him nor did Texans coach Hank Stram.

I did not have sex with that wome....uh...I don't recall. Looking at it now I remember the game hazily but I don't remember the AFL ever having any publicized controversies...they were struggling just to stay afloat. Bad pub was definitely NOT on the plate in those days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back