PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders blueprint to beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
It was a very interesting read, especially for me as I didn't grow up in football and the X's and O's of plays have never really been shown and talked about to me in depth. Whilst I was reading the points made and looking at various schemes one thing kept on coming up in my mind. We can still beat it. You can sit down and lay out all the plays you want and say this will work and that will work but it's not that simple. Especially against the talent and brains we posses.

It ain't the X's and O's, it's the Jimmys and Joes. The Pats Jimmies are better than the Jags Joes.

Oh, and their X's and O's are better, too.

Last edited:
You're comparing a Cal-Berkley economics professor doing a statistical analysis to some clown on the internet diagramming plays?

it's illuminating that you completely trash someone for lack of credentials, while having no idea what his credentials actually are

it's illuminating that you completely trash someone for lack of credentials, while having no idea what his credentials actually are

Oh, so he's possibly a NCAA D-1A Defensive Coordinator, or and NFL DC who blogs on the side?

No, he's a guy who cobbled together a bunch of theories.

Most of it is contradictory.

And make all the comments you want, but BB ain't reading this guy's blog to design an Offensive Gameplan.

Oh, so he's possibly a NCAA D-1A Defensive Coordinator, or and NFL DC who blogs on the side?

No, he's a guy who cobbled together a bunch of theories.

just like Bill James, Keith Law, etc etc

And make all the comments you want, but BB ain't reading this guy's blog to design an Offensive Gameplan.

the point isn't that BB is going to read it, the point is that it should be interesting and educational for people here to read. I'm sure it strategically goes way more in depth about football than most people here ever think about.

but hey, if you want more pom-pom waving threads and threads about * on websites, more power to you

Last edited:
Baseball. Yuck.

Completely different...but keep on with your horrible examples.

the fact that it's simply a SPORT makes it a good example.

it could be an article about HDTV's, or Loyalty Marketing, or various things...the point is that educated, smart people can have valid & interesting opinions on a wide range of topics.

I mean, you probably read the Globe and Herald or whatever, and I guarantee that the author of this article knows more about football than 99% of those guys.

it could be an article about HDTV's, or Loyalty Marketing, or various things...the point is that educated, smart people can have valid & interesting opinions on a wide range of topics.

I mean, you probably read the Globe and Herald or whatever, and I guarantee that the author of this article knows more about football than 99% of those guys.

My 7 year old knows more about football than those guys; most of them are baseball writers.

Just because a guy is intelligent or educated doesn't make him qualified to make an NFL Gameplan.

The problem is that the article is written as fantasy football tactics. I'd be much more interested if the guy wrote an article about what the Jaguars DID in their last game or what teams did do to the Pats in the close games they played. The great thing about football theory and gameplans in particular is that they are regularily tested and shown to either be sound or not. When is this article going to get tested?

Football writers should stick to what coaches DID do, not what they SHOULD do.

Football is great. You can coach for 10, 20, 30+ years...and some idiot that couldn't coach a 3rd grade peewee team can critique the hell out of you (calling Michael Felger..)

The problem is that the article is written as fantasy football tactics.

umm what part was that?

I'd be much more interested if the guy wrote an article about what the Jaguars DID in their last game or what teams did do to the Pats in the close games they played....Football writers should stick to what coaches DID do, not what they SHOULD do.

so, you didn't read the article? b/c he says things like this which you must have missed

"After watching defenders like Justin Tuck and Jaqua Thomas have some success rushing up the middle, I believe that you can beat the Patriots interior linemen with speed."

Last edited:
The part where he game-plans a defense he can't implement.

right, well, I guess we're all wasting our time here then. I mean why even bother to talk about this stuff when all we do is watch?

I shouldn't even bother to talk to my friends about the team, since they're not coaches.

this whole site really shouldnt exist.

Last edited:
  • Bring pressure up the middle of the field to keep Brady from stepping up. He's never seen this LOL!
  • Use nickel and dime personnel groupings (including a 3-2-6 package) to get the fastest players on the field. This is a new idea LOL!
  • Use blitz packages that are aggressive but not exotic. Clever and new LOL!
  • Use a mix of Cover-3, Cover-4, and man coverage to take away deep passes. Belichick's head will spin LOL!
  • Avoid third-and-short by creating big plays on early downs. Daring blitzes should come on first down in order to create second-and-15 situations. A good team can limit the screen game and the Welker/Kevin Faulk flat game by avoiding third-and-4. The key ... a good team LOL!
  • Roll coverage to Moss’ side of the field when possible (not all of this is rocket science). Not only not rocket science but an every game tact LOL!
  • Coverage alignments on the non-Moss side of the field should be designed with the screen in mind; that is, we will make sure there is a good open-field tackler to that side who is not head-up on a good blocker like Ben Watson. Belichick needs to hire this guy LOL!
BTW ... this Einstein forgot about Maroney & Gaffney :rofl:

Hey ... at least the guy put in the effort. But there's nothing here that's a novelty and there's nothing that the Jaguars can do that is new. The Jaguars only hope is a slow successfull ground game and a few Patriots turnovers.

I didn't read all the way through it, but it's interesting. However, no matter how good the game plan or blueprint is, you still have to execute. I think the Patriots can out-execute the Jaguars.

It may be noted that the hybrid of hardwired X's and O's and the dynamic ability to execute may have a range that is unmeasurable yet may bear significant results on the total outcome; i.e. if a team executes at 60% it may result in a loss vs. a win whereas a team that executes at 70% may win. These are merely theoretical suggestions. It may be that a totally unplanned for anomaly such as a fumbled KO return affects the end result. I think there are too many variables to plan for a guarantee of success.

right, well, I guess we're all wasting our time here then. I mean why even bother to talk about this stuff when all we do is watch?

I shouldn't even bother to talk to my friends about the team, since they're not coaches.

this whole site really shouldnt exist.
I think it's perfectly fine to talk about stuff we've watched. Not just as fans. I believe that's what coaches by and large do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes