PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football is fun again (EDIT: For Patriots Fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. Living and dying with every single game is exhausting. Even a nondescript regular season loss made me lose sleep lol.

Last season was the first time in years I wasn’t doing that mostly because the offense was hideous and it was obvious this was not a Super Bowl caliber team.

I am not one who takes any game for granted so I found the wins and journey each season quite enjoyable. And while 2019 was injury plagued and did not end well they still went 12-4 and were probably only one of two plays from winning against the Titans. Am also not someone into assessing body language or hot takes from the Felger and Maz crowd so I never bought into the checked out narrative and actually found the 2018 playoffs particularly thrilling as they needed to beat three excellent teams and step up in big moments on their way to the title. This Pats team is a complete unknown and "fresh or new" will go stale pretty quickly if they are not in playoff contention. I am looking forward to seeing what they are able to do and still think they are a playoff team but am not relieved by any stretch that the Brady era is over.

So your thankful the greatest NFL dynasty in the history of the league is over because of expectations to win every year?

Thankful and thrilled do not mean close to the same thing.

The inference game of teasing out absolutes from every post is tiresome. That a fan can move on to the future, allowing themselves to retain hope that future has some brightness and potential for their team in it is not a shameful thing. In fact, for most it is the very definition of fandom.

I love how en Vogue it is to take shots at Brady now. “He became bigger than the team” what an embarrassingly stupid take. I’ve never heard a teammate past or present say a bad word about Brady as a teammate and we’ve all heard 50 times about how Bill would call him out in meetings like anyone else.
I also love how he “checked out” and then won maybe the toughest playoff game of his career against the Chiefs. People just look at stats and see it as black and white, good or bad. He made some amazing throws in that game and made plays when he needed to in one of the most hostile environments of his career. Lol he checked out. Just a laughably stupid take.
I remember when Jordan retired and the Bulls just drafted another Michael Jordan and then found a Pippen and Rodman lying around and just kept on chugging along. Oh wait. Not so much. So go ask some Bulls fans about how long all that post Jordan excitement has worked out.

The NFL's manufactured controversies took more joy from the game than anything anyone else has done. **** Goondell and his stooges at NFL Headquarters.

This is worse than pathetic

I don't know if I speak for anyone else here, but for me, the extreme dominance of the Brady Patriots took some of the fun away from watching the game.
I do not think the Patriots have ever been dominant. They won a lot of games for a lot of years, but they never blew a team out in the Superbowl and always seemed to have their hands full in the playoffs. I always felt a lot of anxiety at the end of the season.

What made it less fun was that everyone expected the Pats to win the championship. To some extent, a lot of people expected them to top previous campaigns to the point that the season seemed lost once the quest for a perfect season was out of reach.

When you add to that the fact that some of the stars were acting up (starting with Milloy and Seymour), it became easy not to like the players. Add in the 'gates' and the kneeling and all of the other scandals, it got to be very difficult to like the players, the ownership, or the team.

I'm not going to be able to follow this team this year. My sincere hope is that Mr. Kraft hands the reins to Jonathon, Coach retires, and a new team emerges from the ashes.

I can't believe how badly things have gone since Mrs. Kraft passed. I root for the laundry, so I look forward to a likable ownership and team that can compete without cheating.

Sign me up for some more assured destruction.

I do not think the Patriots have ever been dominant. They won a lot of games for a lot of years, but they never blew a team out in the Superbowl and always seemed to have their hands full in the playoffs. I always felt a lot of anxiety at the end of the season.

What made it less fun was that everyone expected the Pats to win the championship. To some extent, a lot of people expected them to top previous campaigns to the point that the season seemed lost once the quest for a perfect season was out of reach.

When you add to that the fact that some of the stars were acting up (starting with Milloy and Seymour), it became easy not to like the players. Add in the 'gates' and the kneeling and all of the other scandals, it got to be very difficult to like the players, the ownership, or the team.

I'm not going to be able to follow this team this year. My sincere hope is that Mr. Kraft hands the reins to Jonathon, Coach retires, and a new team emerges from the ashes.

I can't believe how badly things have gone since Mrs. Kraft passed. I root for the laundry, so I look forward to a likable ownership and team that can compete without cheating.

Agree with the likeability factor and for me the QB in particular went the wrong direction last season in that category. I won’t call the gates cheating but the trigger for every one of them was self inflicted in one way or the other.

Last edited:
Im excited for next year and all but no, the dynasty years were never anything short of incredibly fun and captivating for me.

Winning was hella fun, the most fun ever. Try being a fan when the Pats were 1-15 and 2-14, that wasn’t fun. Been a fan since 1975, and 2014-19 was as fun as 2001-2010. Actually 2001-2019 was incredibly fun.

If the 2020 Pats are below .5 come week six, I'm guessing the whole 'fun' sentiment will be Gronk-spiked into the garbage by most here (including me).

Winning is fun.

The only thing he's got a point on is every Sunday is going to be like opening a new Christmas present. Sometimes it might be something awesome, others it might be Aunt Millies fruit cake. If that's fun... ok, good for you. I don't much care for fruit cake, I like winning football a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots