PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fix The Trenches

OL

We need to re-sign Karras.

After that, we will have a starting 5 of Wynn, Karras, Andrews, Mason, and Onwenu.
It might be an unpopular opinion but I agree. Putting Onwenu at RT, while a downgrade from Brown, still leaves us with a quality starter on the cheap.

Better to spend money on positions that don't already have a quality fallback option on the roster.

1) We need to have one LB coach.

2) We can support the team all we want. The young Edge and OL players have done almost nothing. Part of this this is likely to be a matter of coaching.

Which LB's have developed well in the last 2 years. Winovich? Uche? Perkins? Hall? Tavai?
Langi? Jennings?

I don't list McGrone since we drafted him knowing that we'd need to wait a year.

3) Should the DC have stepped in to correct the situation? Isn't part of his job to help out when a unit needs a but of help?

4) I suppose the alternative is that we can't even draft average linebackers.

Maybe this isn't the place to bring this up but we're evaluating the D-line so I might as well mention it here but Ted Johnson and Bedard say there is inside information that the D players in the front 7 were out of sync with the coaches at the end of the year, and that there was a total disconnect. Both Bedard and Johnson say it was a problem with both Steve B. and Jerod Mayo. But given Mayo's credibility as a former captain, I can't see anyone disrespecting him, so it leaves me thinking that Ted and Bedard believe the guys up front are not believers in Steve Belichick.

I tend to give Ted some credibility in saying what he said just because of the way he laid it out. He didn't necessarily say it was a broken relationship that could never be prepared, but rather there was a lack of faith that prevented them from elevating after they became the #1 seed in the late middle part of the season.
So a defense that was on a winning streak and seemed to be on an emotional high, took a week off and then returned and decided they didn't like the coach? I agree there needs to be a designated DC, one voice, but players in position to make plays didn't make them. so they don't get to whine and point the finger. Old and slow is a coaches problem.

Completely fell apart without enough decent CBs. SloJuan needs to be cut. Mills and Jon Jones out resulted in a secondary that couldn't stop anyone. That plus giving up 200 yards rushing every couple weeks going right by Godchaux and Bentley. The PatsD carried this team all year via smoke and mirrors. Time to upgrade the defensive personnel.
Even if we resign JJ, we're going to need to address the cb position. I agree that J Williams has probably seen his last day here. If we add a good cb, (via draft or f/a) sign JJ, have Mills be more of a roamer/slot guy, and have J Jones back, we'll be in pretty good shape. Our best defenses have always been when we've had a good secondary. Also agree we need a huge, big body in the middle...

That is where he has been playing. Olb and edge are the same position. A DE or OLB in our system is exactly the same guy and what you call him is irrelevant. They play on the edge. Winovich has always played on the edge he has never played a 34 DE role.
Thanks, that is why I always wondered about the reports saying perlins learns a new position , he was an edge defender in college and an olb here, if the defense scheme for edge and olb in Oklahoma aren’t that much different what transition does he exactly do? Do you know that report/rumours i mean ? Can’t find the report
He is like 250 and played two point stand or hand in the dirt in college but his size projects as an 3-4 Edge/OLB so i think it was clear he would play there

Last edited:
Mentioned this a bunch and not trying to kill people's hopes but Pickens will never be a Patriot. He's his "daddy's son" in that he's a mental case just like pops. Who had on & off the field problems most of his career.

In one week Pickens got into with multiple players and a coach from his own team. A few days later squirted water on an opposing player during a game. He's a mental case and Bill definitely isn't picking him up to "fix him" at this stage of the game.

I called Burks (Arkansas) AK Browncalf in summer time bc he's a cross between AJ Brown and DK. Josh Gordon is also a good comp imo. Quiet no nonsense country boy. I went over him in my thread but him and Wilson are like the only guys I'd take in round one with the possible exception of J Williams.

Marcus Jones? Love his juice, he has real explosiveness and speed but he's a smurf listed at 5'8"/180 so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in slightly smaller? Another red flag is his inconsistent tackling and ability to jam at the line. Versatile in that he'll play ST but think he has a uphill battle. I know he's big into music as well.

Another LB I've been mentioning is Beavers from Cinci. He's our type for sure.
I got the fanboy jitters when you replied to my post . Love your analysis and a silent admirer for the work that you put in draft process .

Looking at how every freaking team has been able to get receivers in draft , we just need to believe that the game has evolved where receivers are more NFL ready than ever and double down on it in draft picks. I hope we double dip on WR this season along with DT and just go lower rounds on CB.

No need for Linebackers . We already have a bunch .

Sign JC for the franchise tag and if someone gives us a second and 4th then trade him and get mcreary from auburn .

May we get the next Gabriel Davis or renfrow from the draft .

I got the fanboy jitters when you replied to my post . Love your analysis and a silent admirer for the work that you put in draft process .
Appreciate it. It happens not everyone is a weirdo like me that pays attention to silly draft stuff. But yea, Pickens is a nut. I actually love the player believe it or not and his skill set, type is exactly what we need. I just try to take my opinion out of a lot of things when it concerns the Pats bc I know I'll be off. So I cosplay being Bill lol. Not easy.
Looking at how every freaking team has been able to get receivers in draft , we just need to believe that the game has evolved where receivers are more NFL ready than ever and double down on it in draft picks. I hope we double dip on WR this season along with DT and just go lower rounds on CB.
This is really the key. We've made obvious mistakes but Bill just doesn't value the position. And it doesn't bother me as long as we get them through FA/Trade. It's annoying though seeing all these talented guys pass us and tear up the league though. I definitely get that.
No need for Linebackers . We already have a bunch .
Agreed although I'd take a shot at BPA after out first three picks. For me it would be IDL/DL, WR or DB first. After that I'd be comfortable with strictly BPA.

Also just a reminder to every one out there. Pats really don't take OL first three rounds unless they played tackle. We might have different plans in the league but we usually only go after tackles early on.

Also look for teammates. We drafted teammates 15-16 times during Bill's tenure. More often than not. Have to believe that's a record or we're near the top for that. And we have our favorites (Bama, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas ...)
Sign JC for the franchise tag and if someone gives us a second and 4th then trade him and get mcreary from auburn .
Couple guys on my PTP list not talked about ... Cam Taylor-Britt, Coby Bryant (Sauce's teammate and that's our style to go after the unsung guy), Hudson Clark & Tiawan Mullen. If Booth and Elam are there at 21 we have to think about it imo. Those two will be 1-2 or top 3 on my board if they test the way I think they will at the combine. Both are underrated in the CB talk and a lot closer to CB1 in scouts eyes than most think.
May we get the next Gabriel Davis or renfrow from the draft .
I loved Davis coming out and he's got better. I never got to speak with him but heard nothing but good things about him as a person. He got a solid 2nd round grade from me and I had a 3rd on Renfrow. Renfrow just screams Pats. Braxton Berrios too but Hunter was born to play here and learn from Jules.

Even if we resign JJ, we're going to need to address the cb position. I agree that J Williams has probably seen his last day here. If we add a good cb, (via draft or f/a) sign JJ, have Mills be more of a roamer/slot guy, and have J Jones back, we'll be in pretty good shape. Our best defenses have always been when we've had a good secondary. Also agree we need a huge, big body in the middle...
Re-sign Jackson and make our highest next priority CB. That is road to fewer wins next season.

So a defense that was on a winning streak and seemed to be on an emotional high, took a week off and then returned and decided they didn't like the coach? I agree there needs to be a designated DC, one voice, but players in position to make plays didn't make them. so they don't get to whine and point the finger. Old and slow is a coaches problem.
They said Bill took over after the 2-4 start, then got things "righted" with the coordinators during the bye week.

Thanks, that is why I always wondered about the reports saying perlins learns a new position , he was an edge defender in college and an olb here, if the defense scheme for edge and olb in Oklahoma aren’t that much different what transition does he exactly do? Do you know that report/rumours i mean ? Can’t find the report
He is like 250 and played two point stand or hand in the dirt in college but his size projects as an 3-4 Edge/OLB so i think it was clear he would play there
The position can be the same but the responsibilities and techniques different.
Im not under the impression it was about learning but partly injury and partly not more ready at the nfl level than players ahead of him.

Agree. Even if we extend JC we need another good man CB. Mills to replace DMac when it's time

They said Bill took over after the 2-4 start, then got things "righted" with the coordinators during the bye week.
So, Bill should have continued after the bye.

Re-sign Jackson and make our highest next priority CB. That is road to fewer wins next season.
If we resign Jackson which I am in favor of....we'll still need another cb...I never said that would be our highest priority...but one of them....I think we'd also need a fat, big man in the middle, another lb, preferably with speed, a true number 1 wr and OT, depending on Brown.

Ekuale is coming back, ok, maybe not the fat body I was thinking of, but a good start:

Ekuale is coming back, ok, maybe not the fat body I was thinking of, but a good start:

Glad to see this. I hope he can develop into an Adam Butler. Was sad to see him go.

If we resign Jackson which I am in favor of....we'll still need another cb...I never said that would be our highest priority...but one of them....I think we'd also need a fat, big man in the middle, another lb, preferably with speed, a true number 1 wr and OT, depending on Brown.

Thanks Ash, realistically only the first 4 draft picks have a chance to play next year. You list 5 priorities - that is probaby too much if you were implying those players would impact 2022. Do you think those needs are all draft picks, or some FAs? What are your preferred first 4 draft picks in order?

Key to the trenches - keep our OL in tact. Keeping Karras and Brown is important for consistency and versatility. Let Onwenu and Wynn compete and let the best man win the job - for whatever position they best fit. Also draft a new OT to groom.
Get new blood on the DL - draft a big body to plug the middle next to Barmore. draft/FA a playmaker at DE. Ekuale showed promise, and maybe Anderson can emerge as hoped? Guy and Wise are just average at this point.

Thanks Ash, realistically only the first 4 draft picks have a chance to play next year.
And one might expect that a good year means 3 contributors in their rookie year.

Thanks Ash, realistically only the first 4 draft picks have a chance to play next year. You list 5 priorities - that is probaby too much if you were implying those players would impact 2022. Do you think those needs are all draft picks, or some FAs? What are your preferred first 4 draft picks in order?
I would say a combination of both f/a and draft...

In Ashley's perfect world, talent being equal...I would go in the draft:

-DT(if we don't pick one up in f/a),
-Wr-(want to get Mac a true speedy number 1) I consider Nelson more of a number 2 or 3 wideout
-speedy LB...hopefuly McGrone comes in and impresses, but we need to get younger...I believe Van Noy will be back, not sure about Collins
-cb opposite JC, getting jones back will be big, but we need to add one more cover corner.
- can never have too many o-lineman, especially with T.Brown and Karras hitting f/a

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back