PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fix The Trenches

I would say a combination of both f/a and draft...

In Ashley's perfect world, talent being equal...I would go in the draft:

-DT(if we don't pick one up in f/a),
-Wr-(want to get Mac a true speedy number 1) I consider Nelson more of a number 2 or 3 wideout
-speedy LB...hopefuly McGrone comes in and impresses, but we need to get younger...I believe Van Noy will be back, not sure about Collins
-cb opposite JC, getting jones back will be big, but we need to add one more cover corner.
- can never have too many o-lineman, especially with T.Brown and Karras hitting f/a
I agree with your list but would put WR below LB and CB because it’s clear to me we need either two new LB or one if McGrone can contribute
I would also say CB is a bigger need since I believe Mills Dugger Phillips should take S Nickel Box responsibilities and Mills helping out at outside CB with Jones slot corner Jackson and the new CB on the outside would be awesome
It’s gonna be interesting since the defense FA class isn’t anywhere near as good as the offense FA class at least right now according to top 100 FA lists and current projections for FA
The top defense FA are Edge defenders imo
I like the idea of DT at number one priority since guy or god are more like rotational guys at this point and Davis shouldn’t be a starting NT in our system
Give BB Fatukasi and with the same scheme against run heavier teams you could line up
God-Fatukasi-Barmore with 3 LB and Box safeties
God could play 3 T or 4i here between Tackle and Guard as BGC mentioned in the Okie or Tite formation
I think WR is a complex position right now
You have Meyers and Bourne who work best at the MOF
You have also two TE who work their
Which gives us 4 guys for this Zone but only really Agholor for a wideout
I admit Bourne and Meyers could line up outside as well but they aren’t their best there imo
So if guys want a new slot WR I believe we should not get Meyers back and focus on a slot WR with another outside WR as well, because we need someone outside of Agholor who can stretch the defense. This may be Nixon who knows but another shot in the later rounds or cheap FA with real speed is important. This should help our run game imo. I admit tough that we don’t really throw deep or outside but Max will develop and may take more shots and we just need the option/threat to lighten up the box for the other guys and run game

Belichick strongly disagrees or he wouldn't have paid Wise what he paid him.
Wise doesn’t get that much money imo for his position , I do think can be upgraded tough

Could the argument be made that a true top slot receiver is our only main need on offense?

Imagine having a slot receiver the level of how Jarvis Landry had performed over the last few years. I like where our offense stands with a player at that production level.

Could the argument be made that a true top slot receiver is our only main need on offense?
I think we have to see what happens with our two free agents on the O-line( Brown and Karras) if Brown leaves, tackle becomes a priority. We'd then be looking at Wynn and either Owenu/Herron and our depth would be affected. Not too many people expect us to resign Wynn after this year.

Imagine having a slot receiver the level of how Jarvis Landry had performed over the last few years. I like where our offense stands with a player at that production level.
Yea I've been making it. After getting the OL stabilized bringing in a true X and slot is exactly what this offense needs.

We have multiple "slot" options but none in the Jules, Wes, Deebo mold. Doesn't have to be as good. Just that type.

We've had trouble beating man for 3 years now. We need a real dog out there. This offense asked a ton out of the QB so why not make it a little easier on Mac.

Also the game has changed. Good-Great WR's can dominate in today's game. Almost an extension of the QB. Beating coverage, drawing flags, mismatches ... It's not about a "shiny new toy" or w/e. It's about complementing a 2nd year QB and Taking advantage of the new rules.

Plus the trickle down effect would be very real with this group.

Wise is terribly over-paid... I don't think the dude's worth a whole lot more over the vet minimum.
I know, I am not his biggest fan either and think he is to light for our 3 linemen Role in the okie formation on running downs but also not an OLB. I would use him as an interior rusher on passing downs next to barmore mainly

I think we have to see what happens with our two free agents on the O-line( Brown and Karras) if Brown leaves, tackle becomes a priority. We'd then be looking at Wynn and either Owenu/Herron and our depth would be affected. Not too many people expect us to resign Wynn after this year.

While we absolutely need a Mr Inside (as well as another Mr Outside), Ashley's correct that the OL also needs to be straightened-out...

I would love to re-sign Trent Brown to a 2-year, incentive-laden contract with the purpose of starting him at LT;
then move Wynn/Lose to LG;
start Onwenu at RT;
draft a LT of the Future;
and sign the Best Dam UDFA OLmen available post-draft.

And pretty please, with sugar on top, no more ****ing Billy Sherman instead of Trey Smith idiocy... The ****ing Queefs wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for us... No joke.

I know, I am not his biggest fan either and think he is to light for our 3 linemen Role in the okie formation on running downs but also not an OLB. I would use him as an interior rusher on passing downs next to barmore mainly

Yep, and as a 4-3 DE on obvious running downs.

You can make that argument, as long as you think that you think that Onwenu is good enough to be top starter at RT and at LG.

I personally see the Pats getting beat in the trenches, especially the defense.
I think the OL is decent, but could be better for a Pocket Passer, I saw EVERYONE get blown up during the year, not sure if they were playing hurt or not.
Barmore was a great pick, but we need MORE IMO.
Fast LBS also, but we don't know what we have in Perkins/McGrone/McMillan yet...at least I PERSONALLY don't.

Just a thought.
On the defensive side, I think they can emphasize size with an eye to stopping the run and protecting the linebackers as they do their work. I would concentrate first, though, on those linebackers: ours are too slow and in some cases too old.

On offense, I would find a way to make Wynn a backup, if that.

Sign me up
Like Evan said I'll believe it when I see it. Like the player but as a fit here it would be a departure from what we're used to. Also him and Dean, two guys vying for LB1 can't really handle themselves in the trenches.

Also I'd be concerned with putting those types out there without a big upgrade at DL.

That's an interesting discussion for sure though. Personally I don't see LB as a huge need but we definitely need an upgrade to HT.

Like Evan said I'll believe it when I see it. Like the player but as a fit here it would be a departure from what we're used to. Also him and Dean, two guys vying for LB1 can't really handle themselves in the trenches.
Who is the second you are talking about ? Am I blind and did not see the Name
Also I'd be concerned with putting those types out there without a big upgrade at DL.

That's an interesting discussion for sure though. Personally I don't see LB as a huge need but we definitely need an upgrade to HT.
I think we can agree on keeping one of them as an ILb but both it’s just not enough for todays NFL , too slow, I like the idea of compare one lighter with a bigger one
Look at Tindall from Georgia he is around 230 and has a great range and speed , complement this with a bigger LB and we should be ok

Who is the second you are talking about ? Am I blind and did not see the Name

I think we can agree on keeping one of them as an ILb but both it’s just not enough for todays NFL , too slow, I like the idea of compare one lighter with a bigger one
Look at Tindall from Georgia he is around 230 and has a great range and speed , complement this with a bigger LB and we should be ok
Lloyd, him or Dean aren't making a living taking on G's and C's.

In theory that's a good idea and one that's floated a few times a year around draft time.

Love Tindall's closing speed and instincts.

Lloyd, him or Dean aren't making a living taking on G's and C's.
His performance against OSU was a bummer. I think Dean could fall a bit tough with his size if teams want to play him off the ball LB ,
The guy I like most is actually a dude who has a type of LB I want to get rid of :D
Leo Chenal , dude is as big or bigger than HT depending on his measurements but he is a north south run stopper who can take on linemen imo and also a good Blitzer bc he has great energy and extra blocker struggle to block him
In theory that's a good idea and one that's floated a few times a year around draft time.

Love Tindall's closing speed and instincts.
Yeah Tindall would be great, rn he is a bit under the radar in compare to some other LB
If BB wants to draft one there are several prospects who could help us

Just thought I'd throw it out there...I've heard a lot of talk about the DT from Georgia -Jordan Davis. Anyone have any thoughts about him? He sounds pretty much exactly what we need here. A big, wide body, good run stuffer etc.

Just thought I'd throw it out there...I've heard a lot of talk about the DT from Georgia -Jordan Davis. Anyone have any thoughts about him? He sounds pretty much exactly what we need here. A big, wide body, good run stuffer etc.

Don't know if Bucky Brooks, Lance Zierlein or Daniel Jeremiah wrote this one, but I happened to catch the middle of a 1st-round mock on the NFLN scroll, and Jordan Davis was selected at... #21 by the New England Patriots...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back