PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fitzgerald signs 4yrs/40 Mill. with Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
This twice today we have seen the different sides to a money issue. Let me ask you this? If you won the lottery would you pay a company to buy up your win and give it to you in one big sum (they take a cut) or would you let the lottery pay over the rest of your life or the next 20 years or however they do it?
Depends on whether the lottery may go bankrupt down the line and whether I interest (and what rate) if I let them pay me over time.

This is a good deal for the Cardinals. Yea it's a lot of guaranteed money but he's gonna see that anyway because he's a great player. Considering his age and skill, it's also a good deal for Fitzgerald because he'll be able to strike it rich again in 2012.

And it's a good deal for the Pats. Because it ends the chance the Eagles trade Lito Sheppard in a package for Fitzgerald, and he's still there if the Pats wanted to head in that direction.

Must be an ear wax issue. This is what Clayton is reporting along with reporting Larry saying he will get $33M in the first 3 years:

"Fitzgerald will receive a $15 million signing bonus Tuesday. His base salary will be $2 million, giving him a $17 million payout this year. He has a $5 million option bonus in 2009. Over the four years of his contract, he will receive $30 million in guarantees.

The new deal will save the team $8.842 million in cap room, dropping his salary cap number from $16,485,000 to $7,643,334."

And if the cap hit on a $10Mper average deal is $7.6M in the first year it will be in the $14M range come 2011 - but they will extend or restructure or trade him to a team he likes by then. His characterizing it as a 3 year $33M deal is fairly indicative of his feeling he will be on a new deal somewhere thereafter since his salary only in year 4 is apparently $7M. He got 3/4ths of his money guaranteed in a 4 year deal that averages a million more than Randy's. Comparatively speaking, Randy got just over half of his 3 year deal for a million a year less guaranteed.

I'll let the numbers shake out as there seems to be some question as to what the actual guarantees are.

Some of it may be semantics... guarantees which are not yet guaranteed until a date in the future are not guarantees in my book, but maybe they are to others.

Regardless the contract is even more amazing considering its an extension - and that he wasn't yet a free agent. So this is LOWER than what he'd get if his contract were up.

I know I'm over simplifying but I'm still awestruck over how the NFL market values WRs in terms of the guaranteed money (which generally, regardless of the length of contract, is the only "real" money one can count on)

No doubt there are many factors that go into such decisions - proven production and potential production being the two main ones - but the numbers are intriguing nonetheless in terms of what value the NFL places on WRs.

Stallworth - $10 million guaranteed
Moss - $15 million guaranteed
Berrian (Berrian?!) - $16 million guaranteed
Fitzgerald - $30 million guranateed

I'll let the numbers shake out as there seems to be some question as to what the actual guarantees are.

Some of it may be semantics... guarantees which are not yet guaranteed until a date in the future are not guarantees in my book, but maybe they are to others.

Regardless the contract is even more amazing considering its an extension - and that he wasn't yet a free agent. So this is LOWER than what he'd get if his contract were up.

I know I'm over simplifying but I'm still awestruck over how the NFL market values WRs in terms of the guaranteed money (which generally, regardless of the length of contract, is the only "real" money one can count on)

No doubt there are many factors that go into such decisions - proven production and potential production being the two main ones - but the numbers are intriguing nonetheless in terms of what value the NFL places on WRs.

Stallworth - $10 million guaranteed
Moss - $15 million guaranteed
Berrian (Berrian?!) - $16 million guaranteed
Fitzgerald - $30 million guranateed

He may have had more leverage in this instance than if he was on the open market. The cardnals were faced with a choice of trading him for what would prolly be low compansation because of the money the other team would spend, or they could have just cut him getting nothing, or they let him play for 14 mil a year. Those 3 are not very good options. Somehow the cardnals pulled off the 4th option without having to go anymore crazy than the market is.

Sound like a perfect timetable, just as Randy's contract is running out Fitzy would probably think that it is a good time to play for a championship. SBs 7,8, and 9 stay tuned

Stallworth - $10 million guaranteed 5 year deal
Moss - $15 million guaranteed 3 year deal
Berrian (Berrian?!) - $16 million guaranteed 6 year deal
Fitzgerald - $30 million guranateed 4 year deal

What part of guaranteed don't you understand...:rolleyes:

The other thing you can't lose sight of is length of contract. The longer the deal generally the more the money - it represents partial payment for the player being bound to the team for the whole length of the deal. He remains theirs if they so choose for x number of years. And they have more time to amortize that money.

He may have had more leverage in this instance than if he was on the open market. The cardnals were faced with a choice of trading him for what would prolly be low compansation because of the money the other team would spend, or they could have just cut him getting nothing, or they let him play for 14 mil a year. Those 3 are not very good options. Somehow the cardnals pulled off the 4th option without having to go anymore crazy than the market is.

Good point

What part of guaranteed don't you understand...:rolleyes:

The other thing you can't lose sight of is length of contract. The longer the deal generally the more the money - it represents partial payment for the player being bound to the team for the whole length of the deal. He remains theirs if they so choose for x number of years. And they have more time to amortize that money.

Like I said I was waiting for the reports on Fitzgerald to shake out... there were some reports that made some of his gurantees sound more like signing bonuses... i.e. they were only guranteed if he remains with the team.

Trust me - I understand how the additional years allow for the guaranteed money to be spread out.

My point on the guaranteed money being the only "real" money is in this day and age we've seen a lot of guys who have for one reason or another - be they malcontents, get into trouble with the law, lose their passion and stop working hard - be in jeorpady of being cut.

As such, the guaranteed money is all they or we can count on.

Any NFL player can become a turd - and I would think that if GMs know a player has a history of being a malcontent, or of drug use and the possible suspensions, or at risk for not playing hard, that might cause them to limit their guranteed money and/or the number of years they are signed for.

That's just being smart, prudent and exhibiting common sense. :rolleyes:

So if Stallworth turded-out, become injury plagued or whatever after two years, at $10 million guaranteed you've committed about $5 mil a season to him (not sure what his salary is)

Moss and Berrian after two years? A bit more but obviously there's a risk/reward at play with everyone and that's a decent gamble.

Committing $30 million to Fitzgerald? I'm not saying he's not worth the money, given his performance, potential and general demeanor - but the risk is a lot higher in his case, whether it be injury or other turdish behavior, not that I'm asserting he's a high risk player in that regard, but it has and does happen.

Committing $30 million to Fitzgerald? I'm not saying he's not worth the money, given his performance, potential and general demeanor - but the risk is a lot higher in his case, whether it be injury or other turdish behavior, not that I'm asserting he's a high risk player in that regard, but it has and does happen.

They had no choice - he was going to get that $30M in two seasons either way, this way they get cap relief and his rights for two more years (although that partial no trade or whatever it is clause limits their options and keeps him pretty much in the drivers seat - including if he decides he doesn't want to report for year 4 at $7M).

Hey, the Colts committed $30M in guarantees to Freeney, and he promptly spun right off his axis onto IR... Now they gotta hope he can still spin when he comes back for 5 more years. We committed $18M in advance guarantees to Seymour and then he needed surgery before that contract even commenced and missed half of it's first season and spent the second half trying to round back into football form. But at the time that deal allowed us to lower his cap hits on 3 more years because we got to absorb some of his cap hit for the extension in the last year of his rookie deal. Otherwise we might have faced trying to exclusive franchise him in back to back seasons - which is what the Colts were looking at with Freeney - and then you're looking at $10-12M+ cap hits back to back versus $6-8M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back