PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First timers in Foxborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to be a first timer as well this year but I'll be driving up from Providence. Is the traffic as bad as Boston going to and coming back from the game. Would I do best parking in a satellite lot on the south side of the stadium to make it easier to drive home and avoid those heading north?

Driving from Providence isn't that bad. You'll want to go 95 to 495 North and then take your first exit up Rt. 1. The stadium will be on your right, however if you think about the flow of traffic it will be easier if you park on the opposite side. Look up Enterprise. Thats a great location to park. Close to the stadium and when you get to your car you are ready to drive south back to 95.

If you want to embrace the tailgate and enjoy the day, I'd suggest getting there 3-4 hours prior to the game, and plan on not leaving for a while. Fire up that grill after the game :)

R.e. the weather...it's been downright balmy for Christmas Eve the last few Christmases...Pretty sure it rained 2 years ago and it was not cold at all last year...I know this for a fact because I had to constantly explain to my kids that, yes, Santa's sleigh will still work if its warm and raining!:D

To each his own. I always get off onto Rte. 1 South in Dedham if I am coming from the north and parking on the north side of the stadium. Then I get in the breakdown lane as you near the stadium (allowed) and zip in. The one caveat to this is that on Christmas Eve the stores along Route 1 in Norwood might be crowded. However, you will probably be going early enough that this will not be an issue.

Geez, we need to make this a sticky: DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIN TO GILLETTE, IT IS NOT RELIABLE!!! Get a car and drive, it is your best option for tailgating. But beware that you might not wish to tailgate in December, especially if you're not used to cold weather. I suggest you arrive when the lots open, which is 9 a.m. Then you can decide about tailgating with whatever you bring OR spend time in the Patriots Place restaurants and shops. Patriots Place gets really crowded on game day but if you get there early you can hang out inside where it's warm and eat/drink 'til you want to go to the stadium. I recommend Bar Louie, they don't care how long you stay seated and you can watch pre-game stuff on TV (other places pressure you to leave after being served). Just make damn sure you come well-prepared for foul weather or it will be a miserable experience at the game.
Agree. Took it once from Mansfield, took forever, still had to walk a long way because seats were on other end of Stadium. Missed all the warmup stuff . Couldn't get anything to eat because halftime is so short, and then hurried back for the train. Pay the parking, tailgate and enjoy the experience

Agree. Took it once from Mansfield, took forever, still had to walk a long way because seats were on other end of Stadium. Missed all the warmup stuff . Couldn't get anything to eat because halftime is so short, and then hurried back for the train. Pay the parking, tailgate and enjoy the experience
I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years. I've taken the train I believe three times. The second time I had to run to the stadium to catch kickoff. The third time it arrived late and I missed the first half of the first quarter. NEVER again.

Question: Has any PatsFan stayed at the Renaissance at Patriots Place during a football weekend?
Very expensive....$339-$399 /night Dec. 23-25....but can't beat the hassle free location
Foxboro MA Hotels | Renaissance Hotel Patriot Place | Boston, MA
I tried to get into the lobby once before a game when it was 0 degrees and windy. The bastards wouldn't let me in. I even lied to them that I was meeting a guest inside and they still wouldn't let me in. Jerks.

I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years. I've taken the train I believe three times. The second time I had to run to the stadium to catch kickoff. The third time it arrived late and I missed the first half of the first quarter. NEVER again.

I took the train a couple of times and never got burned, but I didn't like being so close to game time on each end. Had we taken the train for the AFC title game last year we may have made it home much earlier but we would have missed the celebration and maybe the intros. I'm glad we drove.

The other issue that comes up with these threads are the tickets. I read your breakdown in another thread of the cost for your season tickets, but I had to chuckle because the extra costs added for us makes your costs look very reasonable. At some point a few years ago the ticket exchange became lost as an option (also a topic we discussed here in another thread).

What I don't understand is how every ticket agent can be selling tickets now but the NEP Ticket Exchange has none available. What good is the NEPTA?

I took the train a couple of times and never got burned, but I didn't like being so close to game time on each end. Had we taken the train for the AFC title game last year we may have made it home much earlier but we would have missed the celebration and maybe the intros. I'm glad we drove.

The other issue that comes up with these threads are the tickets. I read your breakdown in another thread of the cost for your season tickets, but I had to chuckle because the extra costs added for us makes your costs look very reasonable. At some point a few years ago the ticket exchange became lost as an option (also a topic we discussed here in another thread).

What I don't understand is how every ticket agent can be selling tickets now but the NEP Ticket Exchange has none available. What good is the NEPTA?
I have been far removed from hunting down tickets for the last 25 years (except for the Super Bowl), glad I'm not in that rat race. So don't get me wrong -- I haven't complained about what I've been paying for season tickets, I just think the variable pricing idea is nonsensical. I think the Patriots Ticket Exchange is exclusive to season ticket holders and waiting list folks, right? So if you pay their premium to be on the waiting list -- what is it, $100 or so? -- that should give you access (you probably already do that). I think the problem you're talking about occurs when season ticket holders sell their tix to brokers/agencies instead of putting them up on the Patriots exchange for re-sale at reasonable prices to waiting list people and other season ticket holders. The Patriots supposedly are going after season ticket holders who sell to brokers, but I don't know specifics of that policy.

I have been far removed from hunting down tickets for the last 25 years (except for the Super Bowl), glad I'm not in that rat race. So don't get me wrong -- I haven't complained about what I've been paying for season tickets, I just think the variable pricing idea is nonsensical. I think the Patriots Ticket Exchange is exclusive to season ticket holders and waiting list folks, right? So if you pay their premium to be on the waiting list -- what is it, $100 or so? -- that should give you access (you probably already do that). I think the problem you're talking about occurs when season ticket holders sell their tix to brokers/agencies instead of putting them up on the Patriots exchange for re-sale at reasonable prices to waiting list people and other season ticket holders. The Patriots supposedly are going after season ticket holders who sell to brokers, but I don't know specifics of that policy.

Thanks for the info. That explains why the tickets are on sale at all of the sellers. I was looking at seats in lower sections even with the endzone for KC that were in the 8-9 hundred range. How far over face value is that? At some point they may lower the price enough to become worth it to me.

I didn't mean to come off as being critical if I did. I applaud all those like you who made the commitment to the Pats prior to the B&B era and you deserve the rewards now.

Thanks for the info. That explains why the tickets are on sale at all of the sellers. I was looking at seats in lower sections even with the endzone for KC that were in the 8-9 hundred range. How far over face value is that? At some point they may lower the price enough to become worth it to me.
Face value on lower-bowl tickets for the KC game is $231-$275. Anyone asking $800-$900 is insane -- that's a conference title game price.

To each his own. I always get off onto Rte. 1 South in Dedham if I am coming from the north and parking on the north side of the stadium. Then I get in the breakdown lane as you near the stadium (allowed) and zip in. The one caveat to this is that on Christmas Eve the stores along Route 1 in Norwood might be crowded. However, you will probably be going early enough that this will not be an issue.

We do the same. We meet at the Walpole Mall and consolidate into one car, and then head down Rte 1, taking advantage of the breakdown lane. Piece of cake

We park about a mile from the stadium, om the Wrentham/Foxboro line. The payoff to doing that is during departure, we zip right up Rte 1 and are back in Walpole in about 10-15 minutes

We do the same. We meet at the Walpole Mall and consolidate into one car, and then head down Rte 1, taking advantage of the breakdown lane. Piece of cake

We park about a mile from the stadium, om the Wrentham/Foxboro line. The payoff to doing that is during departure, we zip right up Rte 1 and are back in Walpole in about 10-15 minutes

yup, coming from Providence the popular consolidation spot is the rest stop on 95 in Mansfield, a mile or 2 before 495

I think that brokers are buying tickets off the exchange. Sometimes when I put my tickets up, they sell in about 5 seconds. That doesn't seem humanly possible.

I like to park in a lot across from the stadium. It is the same lot that EEI broadcasts out of. I call it the thunder dome, because people are crazy there. Took the train a few times, it is OK. But, my seats are are the other side of the stadium and I always ended up getting to the train and not being able to get a seat for the ride home. People are really drunk too.

Question: Has any PatsFan stayed at the Renaissance at Patriots Place during a football weekend?
Very expensive....$339-$399 /night Dec. 23-25....but can't beat the hassle free location
Foxboro MA Hotels | Renaissance Hotel Patriot Place | Boston, MA
I have and it was great! A few years ago I was able to get a room for the Saturday night before a Sunday 1:00 p.m. game for my husband's birthday. I got it through Orbitz or one of those discount sites and did not have to pay the outrageous price they ask for now. It was fab to go out to Davio's in Patriots Place the night before for dinner, wake up late and "tailgate" at the restaurant right in the hotel before walking a very short distance to our seats. It may have even come with free breakfast although I am fuzzy on that detail. No hassles with traffic or parking the car (although they do charge you an extra $50 to park during the game - heaven forbid you get something for nothing at Gillette). If you can get a room for cheap or don't mind splurging for the night, it is a great way to go to the game. I should have mentioned it as a possibility in this thread. A new hotel has opened up at PP to boot, but they are both equally expensive these days (I checked out the price for opening night and it was about $1000 per. Ouch).

I actually think the brokers are on the exchange too. It has been ruined for the real fans like me and a lot of others who are trying to get tix to the game or a few extra for their kids (me). We used to be able to get tickets a few days before the game for any game, even playoffs. Now you can't even get on the site, and when you do, the tickets are grabbed before you can hit a few keys on your keyboard, then they show up on Stubhub a few minutes later at triple the price. That's why when people were reporting that in Denver they were starting to revoke season tickets for folks who never went to the game, only sold their tix, I was not opposed to that (although there has to be a review for special circumstances). I think the same thing should be done on the exchange, with much less "review." If you are buying tickets on the Exchange and immediately reselling them at triple the price, you are not a fan, you are a profiteering broker. That person or company should not be on the Exchange.

I actually think the brokers are on the exchange too. It has been ruined for the real fans like me and a lot of others who are trying to get tix to the game or a few extra for their kids (me). We used to be able to get tickets a few days before the game for any game, even playoffs. Now you can't even get on the site, and when you do, the tickets are grabbed before you can hit a few keys on your keyboard, then they show up on Stubhub a few minutes later at triple the price. That's why when people were reporting that in Denver they were starting to revoke season tickets for folks who never went to the game, only sold their tix, I was not opposed to that (although there has to be a review for special circumstances). I think the same thing should be done on the exchange, with much less "review." If you are buying tickets on the Exchange and immediately reselling them at triple the price, you are not a fan, you are a profiteering broker. That person or company should not be on the Exchange.
The Patriots need to do something about this, but it's a lot of season ticket holders selling directly to brokers/agencies as well. I have the misfortune of my seats being partially surrounded by about a dozen seats owned by a company called Berkshire Partners (I think a financial firm of some sort). It's always someone different sitting in those seats and often it's people who got their tix via Stubhub or Ace Ticket. So, the Berkshire Partners employees (or clients) who get the tickets as perks often sell them to brokers for cash. When the employees/clients do use them they usually sip wine and look at their smartphones or bring their kids and leave before the end of the third quarter. What hacks me off is when obnoxious fans of opposing teams buy the tickets via agencies. As I'm writing this I think I might contact the team with a pre-emptive complaint this year. Not that it necessarily will do any good.

The Patriots need to do something about this, but it's a lot of season ticket holders selling directly to brokers/agencies as well. I have the misfortune of my seats being partially surrounded by about a dozen seats owned by a company called Berkshire Partners (I think a financial firm of some sort). It's always someone different sitting in those seats and often it's people who got their tix via Stubhub or Ace Ticket. So, the Berkshire Partners employees (or clients) who get the tickets as perks often sell them to brokers for cash. When the employees/clients do use them they usually sip wine and look at their smartphones or bring their kids and leave before the end of the third quarter. What hacks me off is when obnoxious fans of opposing teams buy the tickets via agencies. As I'm writing this I think I might contact the team with a pre-emptive complaint this year. Not that it necessarily will do any good.

I'd just like to say that there is nothing wrong with sipping wine at the game. Not that I've done that, but if that is what they want to drink, it is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back