PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First timers in Foxborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi folks....as a Christmas present for my 17 year old son (the biggest Pats fan in the state of California), we're taking a family vacation to see the Christmas Eve game against the Bills. Flying into Boston on Dec 22nd and doing the tourist thing (as much as can be done is what we assume will be freezing cold weather) and then going to Foxborough for the game. With all that said, I have a few newbie questions that I hope somebody would be kind enough to answer. Here goes;

1. Is tailgating a thing at Gillette? In December?
2. Is there a bar/restaurant scene around/near Gillette where people go before/during/after the games?
3. Is there a good mass transit system from Boston to or near Gillette? Busses? Trains?
4. Is there anything around Foxborough to see from a tourist standpoint, other than Gillette/Patriots Place?
5. Is there anything special we should know about attending games at Gillette? In December? Any local traditions or whatnot?

If you've read this far, I really appreciate it and I hope to get some good feedback from people who have actually been there, done that. We've been lucky enough to see the Pats in person in San Diego and in Phoenix over the years, but we are really looking forward to seeing them on their home turf. Again, thank you in advance.

Charlie Nichols,
Imperial, CA

2. Is there a bar/restaurant scene around/near Gillette where people go before/during/after the games?
3. Is there a good mass transit system from Boston to or near Gillette? Busses? Trains?
4. Is there anything around Foxborough to see from a tourist standpoint, other than Gillette/Patriots Place?
5. Is there anything special we should know about attending games at Gillette? In December? Any local traditions or whatnot?
1 - Yes
2 - There are a lot of places at Patriots Place but expect them to be jam packed, especially in the cold months when people like to stay inside. Coule small bars down Rte 1 within walking distance but those are about as bad.
3 - There is mass transit but I have never taken it so I cannot comment on how good or bad it is
4 - No. Other than the Stadium and Patriot Place, Foxboro is a wasteland. Now Patriot Place itself is pretty nice.... there is a movie theater, restaurants, shopping, the Patriots Hall of Fame, the Pro Shop....
5 - Dress warmly. When you are out in the cold in a situation where you're just sitting there not really moving too much, it can get pretty tough on your 4th hour on a cold day.

Hi folks....as a Christmas present for my 17 year old son (the biggest Pats fan in the state of California), we're taking a family vacation to see the Christmas Eve game against the Bills. Flying into Boston on Dec 22nd and doing the tourist thing (as much as can be done is what we assume will be freezing cold weather) and then going to Foxborough for the game. With all that said, I have a few newbie questions that I hope somebody would be kind enough to answer. Here goes;

If you've read this far, I really appreciate it and I hope to get some good feedback from people who have actually been there, done that. We've been lucky enough to see the Pats in person in San Diego and in Phoenix over the years, but we are really looking forward to seeing them on their home turf. Again, thank you in advance.

Charlie Nichols,
Imperial, CA

1. yes, just as much as an 80* day in September. Just with more alcohol to stay warm

2. CBS Scene and Toby Keith's are good pre-game

3. Only the Patriots train. Have heard spotty reviews on it. Best bet is to bite the bullet and drive

4. No. But would do the Hall of Fame. Only $10 and can be seen in 1-2 hours

5. It will be frigid. Layer up as you are exposed to the elements for 6-10 hours. And Gillette always has wind (more so on the lighthouse side)

I'll comment on 3:

The commuter rail will make stops and pick-ups at Foxboro via the Franklin Commuter Rail rail line specifically for gamedays.

MBTA > Riding the T > Trains to Gillette

However -- the rail pick-up will generally arrive ~1-1.5 hours prior to kick off so its not ideal for a long tailgate. Gillette generally allows a ~4 hour tailgate prior to kickoff (tho certain lots may open a bit earlier)

You could uber, google fan tailgate packages which have shuttles in and out (though traffic before/after the game will be painful but what else would you expect). The bar/restaurant scene is fun -- just get there early

Charlie Nichols,
Imperial, CA

Re Freezing cold weather.

FYI: these are lifesavers for cold hands and feet. They are easy to carry around and work great if you need them.

Amazon product ASIN B01N0TLEY7
Amazon.com : Hothands Insole Foot Warmer : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : HotHands Hand Warmer Value Pack : Sports & Outdoors

Don't forget to pick up a set of thermal underwear, some waterproof boots or shoes and to wear a ski hat.

You never know what the weather will be in December. Could be dry and warm or wet and cold.

This thread has some relatable info in it as well.

The Newest English New England Patriot Fan (<< this is a link)

1 yes
2 yes
3 no
4 no
5 Make Noise

Re Freezing cold weather.

FYI: these are lifesavers for cold hands and feet. They are easy to carry around and work great if you need them.

Amazon product ASIN B01N0TLEY7
Amazon.com : Hothands Insole Foot Warmer : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : HotHands Hand Warmer Value Pack : Sports & Outdoors

Don't forget to pick up a set of thermal underwear, some waterproof boots or shoes and to wear a ski hat.

You never know what the weather will be in December. Could be dry and warm or wet and cold.

^^^ This! A thousand times over! As my dad would say you can always take off layers if you have to but you can't put layers on you don't have. You may feel fine with what you have the first couple of hours but when the 4th quarter rolls around that's when you start to get screwed if you didn't dress warm enough. Hand and foot warmers have been a life saver for me and a no brainer to bring with you.

Charlie Nichols,
Imperial, CA
Geez, we need to make this a sticky: DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIN TO GILLETTE, IT IS NOT RELIABLE!!! Get a car and drive, it is your best option for tailgating. But beware that you might not wish to tailgate in December, especially if you're not used to cold weather. I suggest you arrive when the lots open, which is 9 a.m. Then you can decide about tailgating with whatever you bring OR spend time in the Patriots Place restaurants and shops. Patriots Place gets really crowded on game day but if you get there early you can hang out inside where it's warm and eat/drink 'til you want to go to the stadium. I recommend Bar Louie, they don't care how long you stay seated and you can watch pre-game stuff on TV (other places pressure you to leave after being served). Just make damn sure you come well-prepared for foul weather or it will be a miserable experience at the game.

1. Is tailgating a thing at Gillette? In December? Yes, dress warmly & bring lots of stuff if you tailgate. In every lot you will find lots of tailgating.

2. Is there a bar/restaurant scene around/near Gillette where people go before/during/after the games? Yes, Patriots Place borders the visitor's side of Gillette. There are a bunch of places to go instead of tailgating, including CBS Scene (especially hard to get into), Bar Louie, Toby Keith's (also hard to get into), Tavolino (Italian/pizza), Red Robin (burgers) Skipjacks (overpriced seafood) and even a 5 Guys (line moves fast). The key to getting in anywhere before (or after a game) is to get there early, probably by 10 or 10:30 a.m. for a 1:00 p.m. game. If you are going after, RUN to your destination as soon as the clock reaches zero. I have had good luck getting into Tavolino after a game where I sit sipping wine and watching game highlights while the traffic dissipates (more about that later).

3. Is there a good mass transit system from Boston to or near Gillette? Busses? Trains? No. There is a train that will get you to and from the game that leaves from South Station in Boston a few hours before kickoff. However, it does not usually arrive until just before kickoff (sometimes after, unfortunately), and it departs 30 minutes after the game. You will use that 30 minutes getting back to the train, which literally drops people beside a track outside the stadium (no fancy station [or any station for that matter] for those football folks). You will not have any chance to tailgate or visit Patriots Place or the Hall if you take the train. I (and most of the folks on here who have taken it) advise against it if you can stomach driving to the game in a rental car. If, however, you just want to go to the game & get back to Boston quickly, it might not be too bad. There are no other ways to get to the game.

4. Is there anything around Foxborough to see from a tourist standpoint, other than Gillette/Patriots Place? No. It's in the middle of a residential area. No kidding.

a) everyone will be weaing a Patriots Santa hat at that game . You should get one at least for your kid (all the stores around here sell them at that time of year).

b) traffic is terrible (both game day and frankly any time in Boston). If you are driving, go early and try to park in an outlying lot along Rte. 1 that advertises "Easy Out" after the game, that will allow you to turn in the correct direction after the game. Avoid stadium lots if possible as getting out of those after games can take hours (sometimes the outlyers take that long too, unfortunately). Or, bring post-game tailgating stuff (or go to a place at Patriots Place) and plan to hang out for a while. DO NOT schedule your flight home that night before 9 p.m.. Chances are you won't make it if you schedule it earlier. Even 9 might be pushing it.

c) layers, hand & foot warmers, hats, gloves and boots or thick-soled shoes are a must at that time of year, particularly for folks who are not used to the cold. For me, the part that always gets cold first are my feet, particularly my toes.

That's all I've got for now. Enjoy the game. Despite all the hassles because of crowds, traffic and the generally "unhelpful" location of Gillette Stadium, there is nothing like being there for a game. Your son will love it.

I hope to be a first timer as well this year but I'll be driving up from Providence. Is the traffic as bad as Boston going to and coming back from the game. Would I do best parking in a satellite lot on the south side of the stadium to make it easier to drive home and avoid those heading north?

Traffic is awful. Park SOUTH in a satellite. Even then by the time you walk to your car, expect a long stop and go wait to get out.

I think people are giving you excellent advise on all the Foxboro stuff, but since it seems you will be spending some time in Boston for the first time let me give you some advice there.

Boston is an extremely walkable city, even in December, with a great public transit system (except to Foxboro on game day). and so much to see. I recomend taking a duck tour, or other tour trolley type ride is great, especially if you are only here for a short time. It might seem touristy, but it will give you a great general overview of what's available in the city.

Fanueil Hall, the Back Bay, the Common, Comm Ave, Fenway Park, the Back Bay, North End, Boston Garden, Newbury Street etc, etc Great history, Great archetecture, great food, great universities and TREES. Lots of trees.

My nephew lived all his life in Manhattan Beach. Came to visit when he was in college and when he he was finished with his minor league baseball career, he ended up here. He liked the whole thing right away., My brother in law is STILL pissed. ;l)

If you are unfamiliar with driving in the area, an Uber is a good idea. You can tailgate anytime, so, I suggest you'd be better off going to the Pats HOF, and grabbing a bite at one of the many reataurants at Patriots Place. All that plus the game will mean about a 6 hour day, plus travel time. But it will be a great day, One you and your family will remember forever.

Last edited:
I hope to be a first timer as well this year but I'll be driving up from Providence. Is the traffic as bad as Boston going to and coming back from the game. Would I do best parking in a satellite lot on the south side of the stadium to make it easier to drive home and avoid those heading north?
It's not quite as bad in my experience. Definitely park on the south side of the stadium in an outlying lot, where you can turn right to head south after the game, if possible. I park in a particular lot called the Pine Brook Office Park, where you actually have to take a left to get out and pick up 495 south of the stadium. However, the lot is 1.5 miles out (a deal breaker for some walkers) from the stadium on Rte. 1. Because it's so far out, there are frequent breaks in traffic so you can get out pretty easily once you make the trek back to your car. There is also a motel lot on the southbound side of Rte. 1 that is a little closer to the stadium that supposedly has good tailgating, but the name escapes me, and if you come in from the south, you'll have to turn around somewhere to get onto the correct side of Rte. 1. Maybe someone can come up with the name.

I think people are giving you excellent advise on all the Foxboro stuff, but since it seems you will be spending some time in Boston for the first time let me give you some advice there.

Boston is an extremely walkable city, even in December, with a great public transit system (except to Foxboro on game day). and so much to see. I recomend taking a duck tour, or other tour trolley type ride is great, especially if you are only here for a short time. It might seem touristy, but it will give you a great general overview of what's available in the city.

Fanueil Hall, the Back Bay, the Common, Comm Ave, Fenway Park, the Back Bay, North End, Boston Garden, Newbury Street etc, etc Great history, Great archetecture, great food, great universities and TREES. Lots of trees.

My nephew lived all his life in Manhattan Beach. Came to visit when he was in college and when he he was finished with his minor league baseball career, he ended up here. He liked the whole thing right away., My brother in law is STILL pissed. ;l)

If you are unfamiliar with driving in the area, an Uber is a good idea. You can tailgate anytime, so, I suggest you'd be better off going to the Pats HOF, and grabbing a bite at one of the many reataurants at Patriots Place. All that plus the game will mean about a 6 hour day, plus travel time. But it will be a great day, One you and your family will remember forever.
Agreed. I would not have a car in Boston except for game day. I did not mean to suggest earlier that there was nothing to do in Boston. There is plenty, especially at Christmastime. It's a great city. PM me if you would like a list of stuff we've done with out-of-town friends.

You just drink the cold away...tailgating in the winter is FUN

You just drink the cold away...tailgating in the winter is FUN
Tailgating in the winter CAN be fun if you have ways to keep warm. "Drinking the cold away" is horrible advice, it works for a very short time after which you get exponentially colder.

Since the 80's I've lived 10 minutes from Harvard Sq. Be aware, hotel rooms in Boston/Cambridge r $$ n with XMass will b even more so. However, Boston at Christmas time is BRAVO!
I too would not consider the train but rent a car or go via Uber. The one diffference I would make from other posters however, is that as you would b coming towards Gillette from the North. Get a satellite lot on the North side n not the South. satellite lots r better as u have room to spread out n most importantly u can leave Gillette quickly.
There r many good restaurants/bars at Patriot place. We've been going to games since the 90's n one time the weather was so lousy we went to a place at Patriot place to eat/drink n watch the game.

Do not get off 128S/95S onto rte 1 from the north in Dedham. Stay on 128S/95S, exit onto 95S and take exit 10 Sharon/Foxboro. Hang a left on mechanic and go 1.3 miles and take a right onto Chestnut. Let the GPS take it from there.

You are spending a lot of money, right? So spend a little more.

Google Patriots tailgating tents. There are nice ones like all pro motor sports.

Wear thermal underwear. You need that second layer especially on your legs. Hats and gloves obviously.

Foxborough is a cute little town but there are cute little towns in CA. Boston and Providence+Newport are the places to see. Boston will fill your weekend, and it's very walkable, as others have said.

Trains = disaster = misery. I only recommend the commuter rail to visiting Jete fans.

On the subject of money, you could hire a town car and a driver for a few hundred. If that's too steep, you need a designated driver. Boston roads, rent-a-cars, out of town visitors and alcohol are a bad mix. Besides the game, you don't need a car in Boston.

Welcome, and have a wonderful visit.

Might want to check out if the Celtics or Bruins are in town, to get the complete flavor of New England Fandom..

My Nephew from NOLA who is a huge Pats Fan, came up with my bro and sis in law a couple of years ago around Christmas and we took the MBTA to Boston for the day.. went to the Acquarium then took the train out to the Prudential and walked back to South Station, took our time and goofed around even went skating on the Common winding up with a sandwich at Faneuil Hall, a really great day.. Boston is a wonderful welcoming city and you will have a great time..

Do not get off 128S/95S onto rte 1 from the north in Dedham. Stay on 128S/95S, exit onto 95S and take exit 10 Sharon/Foxboro. Hang a left on mechanic and go 1.3 miles and take a right onto Chestnut. Let the GPS take it from there.

Fake news.

Might want to turn that navi on before following these directions.

As he said don't get off in Dedham.

But after that he's pretty inaccurate.

Exit 10 (10A actually) is Coney St. You don't want this exit. The next exit is 9 this is the one you want. Unfortunately this is where the traffic will go too. Not saying there aren't sneaky ways around but the police details really try to funnel the traffic here to rte 1 and away from side roads.

The next exit is 8 which is actually the Mechanic St exit. From this exit you would go right toward the stadium but all access to the stadium is blocked from This exit unless you have an access road pass which are only given to luxury boxes, some club seats, and foxboro residents.

Traffic is bad only one way around it and that is to just give yourself enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News