PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 4-years of earnings for Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I do not know if this has been mentioned in another thread if so feel free to merge this thread.

For what it is worth if Butler signs his tender and plays it out this season he will have earned $5.4M in his first 4-years. That means he would have made more money than the following players.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

And the best backup QB in the history of the NFL - Dimples Garoppolo.

I am not saying Butler has not played at a higher level than the money has and will earn, I am only saying, Malcolm Butler does not have it any worse than a player drafted in the top 10 of the 2nd round. My point is this whole bleeding heart for the UDFA working on minimum wage is a misconception.

Anyone saying Bill is putting the screws to him is full of ****. Wilfork and Mankins got screwed, Butler isn't.

The Patriots called MB when no one else did... NO ONE ELSE... and gave him a shot. Yes, he made the most of it. Yes, he saved a Super Bowl. Yes, he is now a top 15 CB. But without BB giving him the chance to play, he's an assistant manager at Popeyes Chicken.

I do not know if this has been mentioned in another thread if so feel free to merge this thread.

For what it is worth if Butler signs his tender and plays it out this season he will have earned $5.4M in his first 4-years. That means he would have made more money than the following players.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

I am not saying Butler has not played at a higher level than the money has and will earn, I am only saying, Malcolm Butler does not have it any worse than a player drafted in the top 10 of the 2nd round. My point is this whole bleeding heart for the UDFA working on minimum wage is a misconception.

Also the guy will be paid next year. Why not just play it out this season and have a chance to win a ring with a well put secondary.

How much money Butler made is irrelevant to the fact that he help us win 2 Super Bowls, being the #1 CB for our team in the last two seasons and yet another guy at his position gets a $65 million with $40 million guaranteed.

If the Raiders gave a $65 million contract to another QB after Carr helped them win a SB, and became an All-Pro/Pro Bowler that comparison might work. None of this would have happened had we not given Gilmore such a contract.

The team felt that Gilmore deserved those more than Malcolm, since even if he didn't leave, we certainly would not have paid two CB's $13+ million a year. Fair enough, that's Bill's judgement and he's more often than not, right.

Butler felt underappreciated, which he is, and conversely underpaid so he choose to find a team that would appreciate him more.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

Butler is imo very surprisingly showing poor character and being a big baby.

EDIT: @QuantumMechanic "Big Time baby"

Last edited:
How much money Butler made is irrelevant to the fact that he help us win 2 Super Bowls, being the #1 CB for our team in the last two seasons and yet another guy at his position gets a $65 million with $40 million guaranteed.

If the Raiders gave a $65 million contract to another QB after Carr helped them win a SB, and became an All-Pro/Pro Bowler that comparison might work. None of this would have happened had we not given Gilmore such a contract.

The team felt that Gilmore deserved those more than Malcolm, since even if he didn't leave, we certainly would not have paid two CB's $13+ million a year. Fair enough, that's Bill's judgement and he's more often than not, right.

Butler felt underappreciated, which he is, and conversely underpaid so he choose to find a team that would appreciate him more.

Maybe bill doesn't think butler's worth what gilmore got. That's just the reality. I wish butler would stay and honor his RFA but it look's far from reality.

Butler made approximately 300K in a supplemental bonus for last year and should make the same for this year. That doesn't count against the salary cap, BTW.

The Patriots called MB when no one else did... NO ONE ELSE... and gave him a shot. Yes, he made the most of it. Yes, he saved a Super Bowl. Yes, he is now a top 15 CB. But without BB giving him the chance to play, he's an assistant manager at Popeyes Chicken.
That's absolutely true. - and should have zero impact on negotiations going forward.

Derek Carr
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Devonte Freeman

It was mentioned in the other thread and I will paraphrase my response therein:

Butler got less in guaranteed money in his first contract than those other men but will make more in his 4th year since he got to free agency before they did (even though it is restricted free agency). And, having said that, none of the above should influence contract negotiations going forward.

Butler is imo very surprisingly showing poor character and being a big baby.
Bullcrap. He is treating his job like a business - just like the Patriots do. He hasn't said word one of complaint, threatened to hold out, or do anything like that. He has been a consummate professional since the day he got here, including this offseason.

Butler has been great. He stepped up in the second half of the big game following the 2014 season & has performed admirably since Revis' departure as the number one CB for a team that went to the AFCCG & then another SB.

None of these players have "been screwed". The rules were laid out when they entered the league & clubs can adhere to them as they wish.

I wish the best for MB. Would have like to see him in NE, but that ship may have sailed. I'm just glad BB found a contingency plan and that he, as GM, is willing to make unemotional decisions that benefit the team.

Winning requires focus. BB doesn't reward players solely on the basis of past performances. I think the team would be better with Butler - but I understand him moving on if that is indeed what happens.

Bullcrap. He is treating his job like a business - just like the Patriots do. He hasn't said word one of complaint, threatened to hold out, or do anything like that. He has been a consummate professional since the day he got here, including this offseason.
nah. He is being a really unrealistic baby

EDIT: Big Time

nah. He is being a really unrealistic baby

EDIT: Big Time
Translation: He is treating this like a business - just like the Patriots do - and refusing to take less than what he is worth (and will get either this year or next year one way or another) to stay with our team, so he is just a big baby!!!

BTW, there's nothing "unrealistic" about the fact that he gets Gilmore money if he waits 1 year.

There is little room for sentiment in what is a very solid business model ...
If Butler or any other player were valued pertinent to fan sentiment then the business model would be seriously flawed.
If Butler were viewed as highly by Belichick as he is with the fans he would already be signed.

We faced many weak QB's this year ... we will face many strong QB's this year.
In that scenario Belichick views Butler more as a #2 than a #1 ... everything else is mere babble by fans.
If you love the championships then you must respect the unwavering model that is tweaked year to year based on season opponents.

Butler's life will be fine once the emotions become the past ... he is a winner ... he will be fine here or elsewhere.
His story is one that many aspiring athletes in high school and college should take time to be aware of it.

Translation: He is treating this like a business - just like the Patriots do - and refusing to take less than what he is worth (and will get either this year or next year one way or another) to stay with our team, so he is just a big baby!!!

BTW, there's nothing "unrealistic" about the fact that he gets Gilmore money if he waits 1 year.
Right, next year. It is VERY unrealistic, and being a big baby, what he is doing now.

Maybe bill doesn't think butler's worth what gilmore got. That's just the reality. I wish butler would stay and honor his RFA but it look's far from reality.

How is he not honouring his RFA???

He's allowed to look for an offer sheet from another team up to April 21. He is doing everything he is entitled to do. There is nothing wrong with anything Butler has done. He has not wronged the team. He has not held out. He is executing all of his rights, as he should.

Anyone saying Bill is putting the screws to him is full of ****. Wilfork and Mankins got screwed, Butler isn't.
If being paid at the top of their respective positions is being screwed than I'd like to know when BB paid people out of love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back