PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final 25 for this HOF class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne played almost a decade after Marvin Harrison retired and he was the de facto WR1 by 2006 or so anyways. Holt was the WR1 for St Louis for all but his rookie year. If there's an argument against Holt, it's longevity. There really isn't an argument against Wayne.

He even has a historic, poster-worthy Super Bowl moment thanks to Manning.

Wayne isn’t an all time great. He never led the NFL in catches and never even finished top 3 AFAIK. Was never near the top in TDs either. Harrison was the superior receiver. I think Wayne’s numbers are a product of the relaxation of rules to favor passing in this league and there are lots of guys like that. If he gets in he will be waiting a while imo.

Rodney played in an era with a ton of historically good safeties and was overshadowed by the likes of Atwater, Lynch, Woodson, and Polamalu and Reed (later). Carnell Lake, LeRoy Butler, and Merton Hanks have as many or more All Pro selections as Rodney did, and neither's even a consideration. Think Rodney's NFL career is a bit overrated by Patriots fans, even if he was great for us.

Only guys I would take over Rodney in this group are Reed and Woodson.

Only guys I would take over Rodney in this group are Reed and Woodson.

Right, but that's sort of the point when I say Patriots fans overrate him. When he was playing, other players were being voted to All Pro teams over him - Atwater, Hanks, Lake, Eric Turner, Butler, and Darren Woodson, then Lynch, Reed, Dawkins, and Polamalu, plus a couple years of Bob Sanders. Patriots fans lean towards Rodney but unlike Reed he hardly stood heads and shoulders above the crowd, even year to year.

Right, but that's sort of the point when I say Patriots fans overrate him. When he was playing, other players were being voted to All Pro teams over him - Atwater, Hanks, Lake, Eric Turner, Butler, and Darren Woodson, then Lynch, Reed, Dawkins, and Polamalu, plus a couple years of Bob Sanders. Patriots fans lean towards Rodney but unlike Reed he hardly stood heads and shoulders above the crowd, even year to year.
Yea but those are popularity contest & we're talking about a guy who has been labeled a "bad guy".
I think Reed & Dawkins might be the best players there considering everything.

Rodney > Atwater, Turner, Hanks, Woodson & Sanders imo.

I won't argue Troy but if Rodney was overrated here, Troy was nationwide imo.

Rodney's stats are comparable or > than everyone up there. Multiple rings, SB w 2 different teams & was one of the best defenders on both teams.

Idk Rodney & Dawkins look as good as anyone not named Reed over the last 20-30 years imo. I mean obviously the positions, what each was specifically tasked w etc... but I think both are certainly up there w the Lynch's, Troy Pola etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes