PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger giving it to Borges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie55 said:
In the end, Felger put it on Borges and asked him if he would vote for him for the HOF to which Borges said no.

'Nuf said!

Willie55 said:
Borges' hate for BB comes from the Bledsoe saga. Bledsoe was Borges' in on the team and when BB cut off media ties for players and then ultimately benched and cut Bledsoe, the hatred grew even bigger.

Borges hatred (yes, hatred) of BB has nothing to do with Borges loving bledsoe, per se... it comes from the fact that BB took control of the media, compared to pre-BB when the media controlled the Pats coaches. Borges (or any reporter) with no access, has no value to his/her employer... Michael Irvin, as bad as a reporter as he is, has access to players. he gets the interview no one else can get, thus, he has value to his employer. borges has none, and he knows it. Borges must be so p!ssed that BB will go down as the greatest coach in modern history, and little toadie borges had NO, zip, zero, access to his own hometown coach... kinda funny.... makes toadie look foolish... maybe borges could talk reiss into letting him tag along with reiss for a while, and try to build up some cred?

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
In the end, Felger put it on Borges and asked him if he would vote for him for the HOF to which Borges said no.

The NFL should immediately take action and revoke Borges vote. This is no less a scandal than steroids.

I think we should have a bit of faith that the other 38 guys in the room:

1. Will know about Borges idiotic grudge
2. Will let it be known that someone else should actually present BB's credentials in the room for this reason
3. Will vote for BB because there's no conceivable standard for HOF for a coach that he doesn't satisfy

R_T26 said:
Just kept asking borges why he hates BB so much, Borges said because he's a awful person. Kept saying he lied to Bledsoe and the players were upset. Felger said whats the problem with a coach lying and how upset could the players be if they won the sb in 2001. Borges was stuttering badly. Borges said when BB makes the HOF he has to make the speech (I guess because he's head football writer in Boston he has to say something, just a guess) and Borges said he has quite a speech to tell. Borges just comes off so slimey.
This is just his same old tired routine. I remember hearing him talk and this is how the conversation went. I swear I am not making this up. Please tell me whether Borges sounds like a 1st grader, 2nd grader or 3rd grader in the following exchange:

Borges: If you knew what I knew about Belichick, you'd hate him too.
Host: Well, what is it that you know that the rest of us don't?
Borges: I can't tell you.

PatsWorldChamps said:
The NFL should immediately take action and revoke Borges vote. This is no less a scandal than steroids.
Hmmmm.... sounds like an interesting letter writing campaign we fans of football could undertake.... :D

Interesting...

This thread is 3 pages long and almost 900 views and not one positive thing said about the crapmaster...

BTW i cancelled my Globe sub

PatsWorldChamps said:
Why is it a scandal the Borges won't vote for Bledsoe for HOF (which is what the original quote's context indicated)? It would be more of a scandal if he did vote for Bledsoe in the HOF.

Pats67 said:
Clarification: Borges was not referring to speaking at Canton when Belichick is inducted. Borges is a member of the 39 member Board of Selectors (as New England rep, which is of course the body that places names into nomination and votes on them. He will be the man who places BB into nomination when the time comes. Its nice to know that his nomination speech will be a personal attack.

Kind of takes away from the prestige of being in the HOF with people like that making the call, doesn't it.

Borges was Will McDonough's understudy, who was on "best friends" terms with Parcells, and got scoop after scoop from him. When Belicheck came back to the Pats as HC and shut off access to all reporters Borges must have went ballistic. His animosity goes back much farther than the Bledsoe scenario. Makes you woder if he was his usual charming self when BB was Parcells DC.

Bella*chick said:
Eh, what makes Borges so sure he'll be around when that happens. A piano could fall on him from out of nowhere tomorrow.

I will provide the piano.

Bella*chick said:
Eh, what makes Borges so sure he'll be around when that happens. A piano could fall on him from out of nowhere tomorrow.

I think I'd actually pay to see that!!:D

Borges is a tiny pothole on Belichick's road to the Hall of Fame.

Belichick is clearly the best coach of his era.

His 2001 season was probably the best job of coaching in the post-Lombardi era.

Borges can tell his secrets, and they won't prevent a 38-1 vote for Belichick the first day he is eligible.

Borges is notably hated by the other boxing writers, as the slugging-the-cripple story attests. Borges is notably hated by the sports fans in his paper's home town. I'd be fairly surprised if he is trusted and loved by the other 38 football writers.

Let him champion Drew Bledsoe and black ball Bill Belichick. If Belichick's secret sin is choosing Brady over Bledsoe in 2001, when Bledsoe was a $100 mm quarterback and Brady was an untested sixth-round part-time college starter, then he should keep right on sinning.

Borges can gleefully intimate that he can keep Belichick from the Hall of Fame like a French soldier at the Maginot Line. His chances are the same.

My personal view is Belichick doesn't like to deliver bad news to players, and it's made some of the players very angry. Bledsoe should have been told that Belichick had changed his mind and decided to go with Brady instead of letting Bledsoe figure it out for himself. Andruzzi should have been told the Pat's weren't going to offer him a new contract, he really wanted to come back but was left hanging. There are probably others and that could have led Borges to conclude Belichick is an awful person.

lobster said:
My personal view is Belichick doesn't like to deliver bad news to players, and it's made some of the players very angry. Bledsoe should have been told that Belichick had changed his mind and decided to go with Brady instead of letting Bledsoe figure it out for himself. Andruzzi should have been told the Pat's weren't going to offer him a new contract, he really wanted to come back but was left hanging. There are probably others and that could have led Borges to conclude Belichick is an awful person.

That's ridiculous. There is no concrete evidence one way or the other that Bledsoe wasn't told that Belichick changed his mind. As it is, Bledsoe was entitled to nothing, even if he was promised a chance to compete for the starting QB job (not HIS starting QB job, because he has as much right to it as anyone else on the roster and no more.) As for Andruzzi, he was a free agent, what the hell does he expect, a parade celebrating his tenure with the team when they decided not to re-sign him? More likely than not, Borges is referring to Belichick's seperation from his wife and an alleged extramarital affair when he says Bill is a bad person. While I don't condone such actions when someone has made a commitment like that, I also wouldn't call someone a bad person just for doing that, otherwise a hell of a lot of otherwise good people I know would be labelled as such (and personally, I think monogamy isn't the natural human state anyways; no, I'm not a polygamist - I just don't buy the concept of marriage). The way Borges carries on, you'd think the head coach of the Patriots spent his off days planning genocidal wars and performing experimental medical procedures on african orphans. I do hope a piano falls on him, he's scum through and through.

I only caught a segment in the car (ESPN Boston is in commercial almost every time I get in that car) but here's what little I heard:

Borges did let something slip that I bet he wishes he hadn't revealed. Felger kept peppering him about how can you know what was said between BB and DB. So finally he blurted out "because who do you think Drew called for advice the night before that meeting" (when Drew was cleared to play)? Apparently Borges and deep throat were exchanging regular calls back then and their relationship apparently evolved into more than mere reporter/player, (and created in my mind a serious conflict for Ron). DB asked him what he should say at the meeting. Ron told him ask Belichick specifically what you have to do to get your job back. The next day after their meeting Drewpie called uncle Ronnie and told him BB's answer. He said Bill told him you would need to show us in practice that you should be starting. Drew asked how long do I have to prove it, and BB said as long as it takes. (Sounds like a fair deal - although BB pretty much knew already he couldn't really prove it. He was letting him down easy as opposed to saying "Get your job back...? :rofl: )

Shortly thereafter it apparently dawned on uncle Ronnie and Drewpie (and cousin Nick) that Drew wasn't getting the lions share of the reps in his Don Quixote quest to regain his job, which BB explained to them rationally it was not possible to give him because Tom and the team were preparing for actual games. Therein the "lie" mantra was born.

At that point they veered into discussing the significance of lying to a player. Felger contended they (all HC's) lie every day, so what, all that matters for a HC is winning. Ron insists that lying will eventually eat at relationships within the team. Felger threw the 3 superbowls in 5 years at him as proof it didn't damage this team. Ron's only retort was well I guess that's why they're still waiting for callbacks from Givens and Branch's agents (note to myself - someone should have pointed out to Ron that they weren't here in 2001 and went to the team willing to show them the money...).

Ron also went off on a caller who said Grogan was a better QB (here) than Bledsoe. Really went off, called him insane and certifiable. Felger said he would take Grogan over Bledsoe every time. <Ron did admit that he was in OAKLAND during the Grogan years.> Then Felger rattled off a list of current QB's he would take over Bledsoe - kind of brutal as it included Matt Schaub among others - and Ron basically didn't argue with the idea that 24 or so of them yeah, you probably would NOW. Felger asked him if he thought Bledsoe was a HOF QB. Ron said it was hard to say because of their friendship <sigh> and because he might have to bring his name up when the time came, but no - he personally would not vote for Drew. 'Cause as Ronnie is fond of saying it's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good.

If he's still here when the time comes, Ron can't hurt BB or TB - once presented they will be in by acclaimation. Who these reporter/voters hurt are the fringe guys. If they fight for you they can turn the tide. If they don't nobody else usually will. McDonough is the one to talk to about why guys like Gino and Andre aren't in - only it's too late to ask him to justify not pushing for them 15-20 years ago 'cause he's dead. This ballot will be Ron's until he dies or gets fired from the Globe.

Thank you, MoLewisRocks. That's the whole deal right there.

The part about the Borges' slip up tonight seems to be the proverbial hand stuck in the cookie jar.

There's a difference between a journalist having an unpopular opinion and one pushing a personal agenda through innuendo even if it contradicts the truth (i.e. claiming he doesn't deserve or not voting for BB for the HOF).

At some point, an ethical news organization would terminate that writer's employment.

BB could have said "as long as it takes" meaning AS LONG AS IT TAKES FOR US TO SEE WHO DESERVES IT, with Drew (mis)interpreting that as YOU'LL HAVE AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO WIN THE JOB BACK. Seem plausible?

lobster said:

So Borges is right and Belichick is wrong?

Poor Andruzzi, got a contract for triple what he was worth.

Actually, I believe Drew pressured BB into having a competition. BB probably thought it was fair, that drew deserved that.

However, after thinking about it, he realized he was not going to give the job to Bledsoe no matter what.

Since his mind was made up, it would have been more dishonest to have a competition that was a farce.

I think BB is very honest. If a player can't face the truth, I guess they want the coach to lie.

Andruzzi got a hure contract elsewhere, Drew was traded. Where's the dishonesty, (except for you touting Borges, the single most dishonest person on the planet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back