PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons fans: The Pats have no chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching New England's regular season games. Eye opening....

Wow, just wow. If you are having a tough time drumming up hatred for the Falcons, may I present to you their dilusional fans. I know that most Pats fans on this site are confident in a victory but this is just over the top. We at least have some respect for Falcons' talent and can envision scenarios which could lead to a Patriots loss.

Did I miss Hageman's transformation into Reggie White?

They were definitely confident. The exception was FalconMama, who had a pretty good analysis of the threat of the Pats running game.

Most of their board are expecting a falcons blowout. Because their offense is "historically" good. Well that didn't work for the greatest show on turf or the best offense of all time the 2007 Pats. The game has yet to be played. Both teams have earned their right to be there. Hope the Pats come out on top.

It didn't work for:

2001 Rams
2007 Pats
2011 Pats
2013 Broncos

But this time will be different :rolleyes:

They are acting like most fanbases that havent experienced firsthand how difficult it is to beat the Patriots.

They keep hyping their defensive improvement. I just rewatched the Seattle Atlanta playoff game. Couple things I forgot in there, but here is the sequence to start the game. Well pretty much the first half.

Hawks go down and score quickly on the first drive.
Falcons go down and score on their first drive 7-7
Hawks 3rd down Russell misses a wide open Baldwin in the endzone. Kick a FG 10-7.
Falcons punt 10-7.
Hester big return called back from the 10 or so for a dumb hold. Hawks backed up on their goalline. guard drops into pass pro and steps on Russell's foot for a safety. 10-9
Falcons kick a FG on a short field after the free kick. 12-10
Hawks on 3rd and short (3-4) yards throw an out route under the sticks by a yard and a half, DB made a nice tackle. Hawks punt pin Atlanta at the 2.
Atlanta goes 98 yards at the end of the half and scores 19-10 (and game over)

4 real possesions in the first half for Seattle, the 5th was with little time left in the half. 1 TD - Nice drive
1FG - forced to kick a FG because of Russell missing a wide open receiver in the endzone.
Safety because of a boneheaded play/lack of luck whatever
And a punt because you don't run your route to at least to the stick.

Basically Seattle stopped themselves with lack of execution (Baldwin in the EZ), Safety, because of a stupid and unnecessary hold negating a big return, followed by a guard stepping on the QB's shoe in pass pro (bad luck).

Where does Atlanta's great defense come in on any of this? Seattle's own self destruction basically ended that game by the end of the first half.

What are the odds NE kills themselves on 3 of the first 4 drives of the game?
That was such a big penalty. That flag doesn't get thrown and it's 17-7 Seattle and maybe a very different game.

A whole lot, their defensive front rotates more than most. They like to keep their guys fresh, and have the depth to do it. I agree that a no-huddle could exploit this, they don't have anyone who's used to getting stuck on the field.

Yes, and in the Seattle game, they moved their guys all over the line. There is some long haired white dude that was very disruptive. He was abusing whoever was in front of them. The Seattle game turned on the punt return call back. Right after that, you had the safety and the Falcon's TD. Game went from 10-9 to 10-12 to 10-19 in a few minutes. At the start of the second half, Atlanta got the ball and made it 10-26 before you could blink. Honestly, they did exactly what the Pats would do. When they got the chance they put their foot on their neck and killed it.

This worries me that so many think Atlanta will win. Not just their fans either.

The invincible Falcons got beaten by the Chargers and handled by the Eagles. I don't buy the whole 'they're a different team in the playoffs' thing. Are they a good team? Yes. But their defense sucks and, no matter how good he was this season, I trust Tom Brady over Matt Ryan in any single game.

This worries me that so many think Atlanta will win. Not just their fans either.

If Atlanta wins, it will depend upon if their defense can stop the Pats offense. And that will depend upon the pressure they get on Brady. They got pressure on Rogers but if you look at the sacks and other pressure, they were mostly coverage sacks. I think the difference between the Pats and the other teams is how quick Brady get rid of the ball. Rogers holds the ball and almost waits for the play to break down before throwing the ball. Brady is different. The question is how the Atlanta defense will deal with not getting to Brady. Freeney will know, but it could frustrate some of those guys.

Bunch of rookies. You can tell most of them have never been to the big game before or have forgotten about the last time they were there and got undressed by Denver. They are falling into the trap of starting to underestimate the opponent just prior to the game. It just makes the crash that much harder if you lose. I can only imagine the misery that will circulate on that board should they lose.

Most of their board are expecting a falcons blowout. Because their offense is "historically" good. Well that didn't work for the greatest show on turf or the best offense of all time the 2007 Pats. The game has yet to be played. Both teams have earned their right to be there. Hope the Pats come out on top.

Nor did it help the #1 scoring offense vs. the #1 scoring defense in Superbowl XLVIII, when the Seahawks absolutely trashed that high flying Donkeys offense....

Yes, and in the Seattle game, they moved their guys all over the line. There is some long haired white dude that was very disruptive. He was abusing whoever was in front of them. The Seattle game turned on the punt return call back. Right after that, you had the safety and the Falcon's TD. Game went from 10-9 to 10-12 to 10-19 in a few minutes. At the start of the second half, Atlanta got the ball and made it 10-26 before you could blink. Honestly, they did exactly what the Pats would do. When they got the chance they put their foot on their neck and killed it.

Brooks Reed ex Texans player.

Because that means more experts think Atlanta is the better team. Generally ( Not always obviously) the "better" team wins.

Which actual 'experts'?

Your premise is ridiculous. If it were up to the 'experts', it would be a Green Bay v. Pittsburgh Super Bowl.

Because that means more experts think Atlanta is the better team. Generally ( Not always obviously) the "better" team wins.

We've personally witnessed at least two and maybe three or four Patriots Super Bowls where the worse team won: Rams, Giants I, and there could be arguments for both Giants II and the Seahawks. Last year a team with a dilapidated QB who no one gave a chance to blew out the team widely considered better.

It's a single game, four quarters of football. Football games turn on single plays, mistakes, whatever. There's some smoothing over the season, but anything can happen in a single game. If both teams are evenly matched, which this teams probably are, it comes down to who's less likely to make mistakes and who's more likely to capitalize on the openings the other team gives them. And, in that case, wouldn't you trust the greatest QB and coach in league history?

Bunch of rookies. You can tell most of them have never been to the big game before or have forgotten about the last time they were there and got undressed by Denver.

Super Bowl experience may mean something, though I think it's overplayed, but the oldest player on the current Falcons team was in college when this game was played, and that was their kicker. Matt Ryan and Julio Jones were in elementary or middle school. A substantial number of them were just barely out of diapers. There's only one player remaining in the league who was around when that game was played, and that's Adam Vinatieri. John Elway is nearing Medicare eligibility and Terrell Davis is in his 40s. What does that game have to do with anything?

Ehhhhhhh...seems it's about as many as picked the Steelers.

Wrong. NFL Pick Watch which tracks media and experts picks has NE being picked by 66% of the people who have already made their pick

I would disagree that more experts are picking the Falcons. ESPN's experts are almost unanimously picking Pats.

Not that the opinion of an "expert" has any relevance to the outcome of the game.

And the Patriots are the better football team. Not by much but they are.

One of their arguments was this:

"Brady has not been as sharp as previous years. Yes he has had some good numbers but he has been checking it down a lot and NE has played some very average defenses as well."

If anything, Brady has been checking it down far LESS than in previous years and has many more chunk plays. Didn't he lead the league in plays over 20 yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents