PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex-GM Mike Tannenbaum confirms rumor that Jets scout lobbied for Tom Brady in 2000 NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
And ESPN's Rich Cimini confirmed that the Jets had quality info to believe Brady could have been worth it before New England decided to take a shot on him.

Cimini spoke to ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, who affirmed a years-long rumor. Jets scout Jesse Kaye was in love with Brady when analyzing his play, enough so that he lobbied for then-GM **** Haley to take him in "probably 5th round."

Ex-GM Mike Tannenbaum confirms rumor that Jets scout lobbied for Tom Brady in 2000 NFL Draft

I live in NYC.
That's an old story. Kaye really wanted Brady. And it's been reported for years that he thought he got screwed at Michigan.

O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum, I thank you for this nightmare fuel!

Polian wanted him.....badly.

:rolleyes:

They took Pennington.. end of story... although Pennington was the best of the 6 QBs that were chosen before brady.

They took Pennington.. end of story... although Pennington was the best of the 6 QBs that were chosen before brady.

Pennington is the only QB in the past 19 seasons to deny the Pats the division. 2002 with the Jete... and 2008 with the Flippers. Injuries really took their toll on him, but he was a good QB.

I too, was lobbying hard for Brady and was pissed every round we passed him up. Had him number one on my big board.

Pennington was the best opposition AFC East QB throughout the entirety of the Brady era by a fairly large margin, was he not?

And that's...

so sad for all of them.

2nd place was 1/2 season of Favre.

Third place Fitzpatrick. Fourth Place Fitzpatrick. Fifth place also Fitzpatrick.

Then the Bledsoe/Sanchez/Tyrod Taylor/Tannehill level of mediocrity.

And below that, absolutely putridity.

I think that covers it.

Pennington was the best opposition AFC East QB throughout the entirety of the Brady era by a fairly large margin, was he not?

Peyton Manning was early on, before the colts moved to the AFC South.

I too, was lobbying hard for Brady and was pissed every round we passed him up. Had him number one on my big board.

Me too!!!

...not really... I just wanted to know what it felt like to be able to say that.

It felt good.

Who cares that one other person thought Brady was a decent pick in ROUND FIVE, and something that happened 20 years ago.

Pennington is the only QB in the past 19 seasons to deny the Pats the division. 2002 with the Jete... and 2008 with the Flippers. Injuries really took their toll on him, but he was a good QB.
It's a shame he tore his ACL in 2003 as he looked like he was going to be a solid QB for the Jets. He was never the same after that as his nickname became "noodle arm". That injury really affected his arm strength as it wasn't great to begin with.

Ravens have come out and said Matt Cavannah wanted Brady. They took Chris Redman.

I heard Belichick the GM wanted to go up for Mahomes to be Brady's successor but BB the Coach over ruled.

And, he was a warrior. Played through injury. No matter how crappy the team.
I'm glad the Pats got Tommy, but Chad is worthy of our respect.

How badly did any team want him if they didn't pick him before the Patriots did at #199 in the 6th round?

I mean how does this put any GM in better light saying, "Yeah, we were kinda high on his potential, but FILL IN EXCUSE HERE"

How badly did any team want him if they didn't pick him before the Patriots did at #199 in the 6th round?

I mean how does this put any GM in better light saying, "Yeah, we were kinda high on his potential, but FILL IN EXCUSE HERE"

I mean, it was just one scout on the Jets. The whole team wasn't necessarily high on him. It's not about making a former GM look better; if anything, it's Tannenbaum admitting a mistake and giving credit where it's due.

While I do believe this, as this rumor's been around before. The question I have is going to be how many teams/owners/gms are going to come out now and say they wanted him back in the day?

I saw him first, he's mine. I'm smarter than everyone else. I knew he'd be great.

Everyone passed, including Bill. No one knew chit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye