PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady almost drafted by the Giants in 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to buy Ford Motors stock in 08.

honest

I liked the way that Eddie Andelman did it in the old days. He'd record a tape of every team at the start of the season predicting that they'd win and then repeatedly play the one of the team that won afterward. It was actually kind of funny at the time.
I almost stopped the Challenger liftoff. I was about to pick up the phone to call the FBI and point out to them that those enormous icicles hanging down were indicative of the fact that the temperature was 35 degrees colder than any previous mission, but my head was spinning too much from being inundated with "Teacher In Space" media babbling during all the postponements when the guys who insisted that thing was going to blow up were overruled, or out pay-graded...whereupon afterward they were summarily pushed out of NASA.

I almost stopped the Challenger liftoff. I was about to pick up the phone to call the FBI and point out to them that those enormous icicles hanging down were indicative of the fact that the temperature was 35 degrees colder than any previous mission, but my head was spinning too much from being inundated with "Teacher In Space" media babbling during all the postponements when the guys who insisted that thing was going to blow up were overruled, or out pay-graded...whereupon afterward they were summarily pushed out of NASA.

Not funny

Ron Dayne was their 1st round pick that year. Ouch.

They also drafted Brady's teammate, Dhani Jones earlier in the 6th round (177), 22 spots before Brady went. Several Michigan players actually went before Brady.

Round (Pick) Position Player
2 (40) LB Ian Gold
4 (110) TE Aaron Shea
4 (122) DT Josh Williams
6 (177) Dhani Jones

So it's not like NFL teams didn't get a chance to watch a ton of Brady during the season. He wasn't playing at Kalamazoo U (not sure if this is a real place or not).

But even if they drafted him, I wonder if they would have kept him. People always point to Belichick getting lucky by drafting Brady in the 6th, but they overlook that he KEPT him as the 4th QB. And he kept him even after Drew came back from his injury. BB is one of the few that will let the best player play, regardless of draft position or contract.

Most teams would never have done that, and even if they kept Tom, he would have went right back to the bench after Bledsoe got healthy.

So yes, there was some luck involved. But there's also more to it than that.

The Patriots also sent their QB coach out to Michigan before the draft and kept very quiet about their find ---------> How the Patriots landed future Hall of Famer Tom Brady, the biggest steal in NFL Draft history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore