Brady almost drafted by the Giants in 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last edited:
Unlike the Polian story, this seems plausible since Accorsi is crediting somebody else for the insights and pointing out (in a humble and decidedly non-Polian fashion) that maybe he was wrong not to listen.

Unlike the Polian story, this seems plausible since Accorsi is crediting somebody else for the insights and pointing out (in a humble and decidedly non-Polian fashion) that maybe he was wrong not to listen.
Yea I think Accorsi is being truthful here as he is saying one of his scouts banged on the table for TB and he said no thus making himself look foolish. Accorsi is a longtime GM and had a solid reputation and being a stand-up FO guy.

2 down, 29 more franchise stories to go...

Actually we've heard from three franchises - colts, giants and jets. A former jets scout said he recommended Brady to Parcells when he was HC of NYJ. Parcells said he doesn't even remember the guy or anyone mention Brady.

Ron Dayne was their 1st round pick that year. Ouch.

They also drafted Brady's teammate, Dhani Jones earlier in the 6th round (177), 22 spots before Brady went. Several Michigan players actually went before Brady.

Round (Pick) Position Player
2 (40) LB Ian Gold
4 (110) TE Aaron Shea
4 (122) DT Josh Williams
6 (177) Dhani Jones

So it's not like NFL teams didn't get a chance to watch a ton of Brady during the season. He wasn't playing at Kalamazoo U (not sure if this is a real place or not).

But even if they drafted him, I wonder if they would have kept him. People always point to Belichick getting lucky by drafting Brady in the 6th, but they overlook that he KEPT him as the 4th QB. And he kept him even after Drew came back from his injury. BB is one of the few that will let the best player play, regardless of draft position or contract.

Most teams would never have done that, and even if they kept Tom, he would have went right back to the bench after Bledsoe got healthy.

So yes, there was some luck involved. But there's also more to it than that.

With all due respect to Brady, and he's owed a LOT, I don't think he would have had 5 SB wins with the Giants. I think a lot of the Pats' success, has to do with OUR GM and HC - Bill Belichick. Not saying TB wouldn't have taken the Giants to the SB, because God knows that if that dimwit Manning was able to take them twice, TB would have managed to get them another 1 or 2 - at least. But again, you can't assume that Brady career would have turned out the same way as it turned in NE.

Just my .02.

I know we've heard of stories of former scouts/GMs claim they had a "first round" grade on Brady like Polian, but I thought this article actually had some truth to it. One scout for the Giants had a mid-round grade on Brady and insisted they draft him, but GM ernie accorsi turned him down. Glad it worked out for us. :D

Former New York Giants GM Ernie Accorsi Says Scout Begged Him To Draft Tom Brady During 2000 Draft

Jesus_Christ_Billacheck-1.gif

With all due respect to Brady, and he's owed a LOT, I don't think he would have had 5 SB wins with the Giants. I think a lot of the Pats' success, has to do with OUR GM and HC - Bill Belichick. Not saying TB wouldn't have taken the Giants to the SB, because God knows that if that dimwit Manning was able to take them twice, TB would have managed to get them another 1 or 2 - at least. But again, you can't assume that Brady career would have turned out the same way as it turned in NE.

Just my .02.

You can't assume BB would have won as many super bowls with a different QB

Thank You Lord for having me live in THIS parallel universe

There's a slice of reality where we are all on a Giants board, happy that the Pats didn't draft him.

You can't assume BB would have won as many super bowls with a different QB

I never assumed that. That's a given. Had TB been drafted by the Giants, I don't know how many SB the Pats would have had (if any), but certainly not 5 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes